Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

Interesting. Ted's take on a porpoising solution. He blames that for most of the performance deficit to Ferrari and Red Bull.

It will take Mercedes until the European races to solve it, tool it, install and run it.

I'm watching Ted on a link from South Africa, SuperSportTV I only realised when the adverts came on :)

Got to love this Interweb thingy, I'm sitting in NE Brazil watching the Bahrain GP on South African TV

Last edited:
Reactions: Ax^
Let's do this again.

Next week, the Saudi GP. That mild and mollient regime much beloved by arms dealers everywhere. Where atheism is legally defined as terrorism. Which is ironic given the amount of actual terrorism spawned in that cartographically-created kingdom.

The telly UK times will be:

Fri 25 Mar
FP1 - 14:00 GMT / UTC
FP2 - 17:00 GMT / UTC

Sat 26 Mar
FP3 - 14:00 GMT / UTC
Qual - 17:00 GMT / UTC

Sun 27 Mar
Race - 18:00 BST = GMT+1 / UTC+1**

**Note the UK clocks spring forward one hour early on Sunday morning.

Let us all hope that Karma continues to bite the arse of those whom we believe it should, whoever that may be. Plus the close racing is good.

:thumbs:

Let's do this again.

Next week, the Saudi GP. That mild and mollient regime much beloved by arms dealers everywhere. Where atheism is legally defined as terrorism. Which is ironic given the amount of actual terrorism spawned in that cartographically-created kingdom.

The telly UK times will be:

Fri 25 Mar
FP1 - 14:00 GMT / UTC
FP2 - 17:00 GMT / UTC

Sat 26 Mar
FP3 - 14:00 GMT / UTC
Qual - 17:00 GMT / UTC

Sun 27 Mar
Race - 18:00 BST = GMT+1 / UTC+1**

**Note the UK clocks spring forward one hour early on Sunday morning.

Let us all hope that Karma continues to bite the arse of those whom we believe it should, whoever that may be. Plus the close racing is good.

:thumbs:
Shamelessly stolen. :D

Great race. New rules look good if this keeps up :)
That, for me, is the biggest takeaway from that race! What a relief, to see the new car designs produce close racing and amazingly closely matched performances right through the field. If Merc solve some of their issues, we might end up with a three way title fight this year.

I was fretting that after a great year of racing last year we might end up with something less good from the new rules, but I needn’t t have worried.

Similar 2022 F1 car designs leave Alpine boss suspicious

Alpine team boss Otmar Szafnauer claims to have seen similar 2022 Formula 1 car designs that make him ask “how the hell did two independent teams come up with that?” F1’s technical rules have been completely overhauled for 2022, forcing teams to design all-new cars from scratch. While there has been significant variety in the sidepod area in particular amid what are very prescriptive regulations, Szafnauer who has switched to Alpine from Aston Martin as effectively questioned whether some teams are working closer than the rules allow. He has not named any teams but is sceptical that the unspecified ideas have legitimately been reached through completely independent design processes.

“I’ve seen solutions on a couple of cars, that you think how the hell did two independent teams come up with that?” Szafnauer said when asked by The Race about concerns from some teams that there are alliances on the grid that could circumvent the FIA’s strict rules on collaboration. “And I don’t know how to solve it. But I think an even playing field within Formula 1 is something that’s important. But we have to work with the FIA to solve that. Because like I said, you guys too can have a look out there and think, how do these two teams independently come up with that solution? Especially when there’s rule changes. Nobody knows what the solutions are going to be until you see them. So how did you come up with them? In time, where people look and think ‘ooh, let me try that in the tunnel’, I get it. But not right out of the box.”

Szafnauer’s old team Aston Martin has a technical partnership with Mercedes and has used its windtunnel, which is allowed in the regulations as long as no data transfer takes place. Part of the processes in place to prevent any crossover of information was for Mercedes to use the tunnel during the week and Aston Martin at the weekend, so personnel were not using the facility on the same days. It has been suggested that some personnel from different teams, when in close proximity, meet to informally discuss design ideas and concepts. This is a controversial but very specific strand of a much wider debate about close team relationships in F1. These can result in informal sharing of information, transferring intellectual property by supplying various components as permitted in the rules, or political alliances in voting matters. McLaren has been particularly vocal about this issue and regularly reiterated concerns about the “the threat of A and B teams”.

It dislikes how closely aligned various teams on the grid are, such as the relationship Ferrari has had with its customers Alfa Romeo and Haas at different points over the past few seasons and the fact Red Bull owns both Red Bull Racing and AlphaTauri. The primary concern is not simply that supposed B teams can be more competitive compared to constructors. McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl said: “It’s mainly the performance enhancement or increase the A teams are having from these co-operations, which is obviously an even bigger concern for us. That’s why this problem is really a serious one.”

[One can't help noticing the irony that it is Otmar Szafnauer making these comments. Now while a week in F1 is a long time, I at least can remember back to 2020 when Racing Point had a copy of the Mercedes 2019 car, anyone remember who the team boss of Racing Point was?

I'm being a bit facetious above, as I understand that this is not the point Szafnauer is making. I believe he is looking closer at certain individual parts of the car. But as some cars have the same power-unit I'm sure they talk, you can be sure Ferrari, Alfa Romeo Racing and Haas will have many similar parts as they have the same power-unit as will Red Bull and AlphaTauri. I hope he is asked more about this as I'd like to know which teams and what parts he is talking about.

By the way it was Otmar Szafnauer who was team boss of Racing Point also known as Tracing Point in 2020 :) LOL]
I wonder if these comments from Otmar relate to Ferrari / Haas? Seems like McLaren and Alpine are asking the FIA to look into how much help Haas get from Ferrari.

F1 team claims double DNF a result of Red Bull under-fuelling Verstappen and Perez

An unnamed Formula 1 team has reportedly claimed that Red Bull’s devastating double non-finish at the 2022 Bahrain Grand prix was down to a lack of fuel towards the end of the race. As a result of radical changes to the cars under brand-new technical regulations, the FIA increased the weight limit of the cars to 795kg, but Alfa Romeo were said to be the only team to build a car that was within those constraints. The teams are reported to have negotiated a 3kg increase, which would now see the cars sitting at 798kg. Also introduced in 2022 is a new E10 fuel blend, which consists of 90 percent fossil fuels and 10 percent ethanol as F1 tries to ramp up its push for sustainability.

The legacy of that is that the teams have also had to design new engines as well as different chassis and wheel rims to accommodate for the ground effect-based cars and the 18-inch tyres. Both Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez retired late on with what looked like similar issues in Bahrain, and team principal Christian Horner confirmed that the Dutchman’s untimely departure from the race was not related to the “heavy” steering induced by the car hitting the ground following a pit stop. Advisor Dr Helmut Marko confirmed that there were no problems with the Honda, now officially known as Red Bull powertrains, engine in the back of the car, but rather an issue with the fuel. “What happened is something completely new. This has nothing to do with the macro components of the power unit,” he told Austrian broadcaster ORF. “It’s something related to the fuel system.”

During the weekend, the FIA gave the teams an extra hour in the garages to check out the three standard issue pumps the lift pump, the priming pump and the high-pressure pump used to extract fuel from the tank. At the time, Horner indicated that these checks were merely a precaution in case anything needed to be substituted. "It was more of a general problem and not specific to our car. We were given extra time, so we wanted to check them out just to be safe,” he said. After the race’s completion, the 48-year-oldd suggested that, among other things, the lift pump could have been the issue, but stressed the team would have to diagnose the issue and “understand exactly what’s caused it.” It has now been alleged that the Red Bull cars simply ran out of fuel at the end of the race, as the Milton Keynes side had underfueled their machines to mitigate their reported 10kg weight disparity against Ferrari, who scored a one-two victory, according to formu1a.uno.

But a former Red Bull engineer has rubbished this, affirming that the team would have already spotted the issue long before it infiltrated their race, and that the late Safety Car caused by Pierre Gasly’s fire would have presented the perfect opportunity to save fuel. “That same also believes that pigs fly There is no way that a team can run out of fuel on the track, you’ll know ages before it happens through the telemetry,” he said. “Also, the safety car would have saved fuel, they’d have to be fuelled for like, 3/4’s of the race for this to be viable. The only time it happens is when Ferrari used to do it on purpose in testing and that was so they could make sure the software was accurate in its estimate.” Irrespective of what the issue is, Red Bull will be aiming to ensure that it does not recur as they head to Saudi Arabia for round two of the 2022 season this weekend.

[This is interesting, on a whatsapp group I'm on there was a poster who claimed that Red Bull tested the pumps but forgot to refuel the tank after the test, this was on Monday, well before this story came out. Personally I'd be really surprised if this was the reason, but stranger things have happened]

Red Bulls Helmut Marko has claimed "To put it simply. A vacuum in the fuel supply system caused the engine to run out of fuel,"

Sebastian Vettel a doubt for Saudi Arabian Grand Prix

Nico Hulkenberg in line to replace Sebastian Vettel for Aston Martin again as the four-time world champion continues his wait for a negative Covid test; watch Saudi Arabian Grand Prix live only on Sky Sports F1 this weekend. Sebastian Vettel is still waiting to return a negative Covid-19 test and so cannot yet travel to Saudi Arabia for this weekend's Grand Prix. The four-time world champion was forced to miss the first race of the season in Bahrain after testing positive, with Aston Martin reserve driver Nico Hulkenberg taking his place on the grid.

Hulkenberg, who finished 17th, is now in line to race for the second straight week. "Sebastian Vettel has not yet returned the required negative COVID test to fly to the #SaudiArabiaGP," the Aston Martin F1 team said on Twitter. "Nico Hulkenberg will be in Jeddah to deputise for Seb if necessary. We will delay our final decision until Friday to provide Seb every opportunity to race."

Hulkenberg is no stranger to late call-ups having filled in for Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll with Racing Point in 2020. His latest substitute appearance, though, has come with the asterisk of new regulations and car changes that have seemingly opened up the driver's championship. "It was interesting. It was difficult, very difficult to be honest, first time [racing] obviously in a long, long time," he told the official F1 website, reflecting on the season opener.

(FP1) First Practice Results

Charles Leclerc again showed his Ferrari to be the car to beat, topping the FP1 timesheet for the Saudi Arabian GP. The Bahrain Grand Prix winner clocked a 1:30.772 to beat Max Verstappen, the driver he battled for the lead in the season-opening race, by a tenth. Valtteri Bottas was third for Alfa Romeo having made a late charge up the order. But while Leclerc had a good run on Friday, his team-mate Carlos Sainz suffered with notable porpoising as too did the Mercedes drivers.

Fernando Alonso was the first man out, the Spaniard’s Alpine powered by a new PU after the team found a “suspected sealing issue” after the Bahrain Grand Prix. His old engine has been sent back to Viry-Châtillon for investigation. With the drivers wary of red flags, there were two in the early Formula 2 practice, they were quickly out on track and laying down the laps with Max Verstappen exploring the final corner, which was where he crashed in last year’s qualifying, the wall having been pushed back for this year’s race weekend.

Kevin Magnussen, one of the stars of the Bahrain Grand Prix with his P5 upon his F1 return, ran into trouble early in the session, the Haas driver limping back to the pits with a hydraulic problem. “Box, in slowly, do not shift,” the Dane was told. 10 minutes in Verstappen led the way with a 1:31.9, a second up on Lewis Hamilton. Verstappen was on the hard tyres, Hamilton on the soft Pirellis. Verstappen’s next lap was a 1:31.3 and then a 1:30.8 with Yuki Tsunoda second ahead of Pierre Gasly. Sergio Perez made it an all-Red Bull power unit top four.

With the wind battering the drivers down the main straight and into the final corner, Gasly was the next to run wide as did Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas. 17 minutes into the session and the red flag was waved, not for a crash but for an obliterated 50m marker board. It fell onto the track at Turn 1 and was destroyed Lando Norris with other drivers scattering the debris. George Russell along with the Ferrari drivers, and Magnussen, were the only drivers without times on the board, the trio made to wait in the pits for eight minutes as the marshals cleared the debris. They were the first drivers out when the action resumed – Leclerc going 10th, Sainz 13th and Russell P17.

Leclerc moved up to second place but was a massive 0.6s down on Verstappen while Hamilton improved his time but reported a “lot of bouncing” in his W13, not what Mercedes wanted to hear. Pushing hard on a new set of soft tyres, Gasly tagged the wall but still managed to improve to second place. Verstappen also had a moment, a big snap of oversteer for the Dutchman coming close to sending him into the barriers. “Did the wind suddenly pick up because it is really difficult?” asked Verstappen.

Leclerc had the amusing moment of the session, the Ferrari driver missing his pit box. It wasn’t because of the dusty pit lane, rather his GPS wasn’t working. His team-mate Sainz was having troubles of his own, his driver cam showing his head bouncing badly as his F1-75 was porpoising badly. Heading into the final few minutes, Leclerc went quickest with a 1:30.772 on the soft Pirellis, beating Verstappen by a tenth of a second. Valtteri Bottas made a late charge on the soft tyres to go third ahead of Sainz and Gasly. Hamilton was P9 with Russel down in 15th place.

Results (Classification):
  1. Charles Leclerc Scuderia Ferrari -1:30.772
  2. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing +0.116
  3. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.312
  4. Carlos Sainz Scuderia Ferrari +0.367
  5. Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +0.545
  6. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +0.733
  7. Sergio Perez Red Bull Racing +0.791
  8. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.254
  9. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +1.592
  10. Fernando Alonso Alpine +1.609
  11. Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +1.734
  12. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.810
  13. Lando Norris McLaren +1.822
  14. Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +1.836
  15. George Russell Mercedes – 2.067
  16. Nico Hulkenberg Aston Martin +2.262
  17. Alex Albon Williams Racing +2.315
  18. Nicholas Latifi Williams Racing +2.757
  19. Mick Schumacher Haas +3.657
  20. Kevin Magnussen Haas NC

The Houthi rebels have hit an oil facility near the track, more info and pics on the twitter thread. It's within sight of the track. Maybe a couple of miles away.

Back
Top Bottom