Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

I think Mercedes and Lewis know where they are with this car. I have no idea, testing is just that, so we will have wait and see next weekend what they have to offer :)

Just 7 days until the first race :thumbs:
I think there’ll be a sudden, massive, unforeseeable, improvement in Hamilton’s car which “proves” what a great driver he is.

I think there’ll be a sudden, massive, unforeseeable, improvement in Hamilton’s car which “proves” what a great driver he is.

Hamilton: People who say Mercedes are talking ourselves down are in for a surprise · RaceFans

“But I think people will be surprised, maybe. Or at least the people who keep talking about we’re talking ourselves down. It’s a bit different this year.”

I believe him. Merc are on the back foot and if it’s not one of the red bulls or ferraris winning in Bahrain I’ll be shocked.

Drive to survive Ep4.

I see old man Mazepin wearing his ribbon. And then the comments about being every man for himself, an insight into the Russian psyche right now. The Ribbon Of Saint George: Russia's Version Of The Remembrance Poppy

hmm did he not also redesign his helmet to include that thing as well

it flag shagging stuff like the poppy on football teams jerseys that got really popular for a bit

it populist nonsense the putin put in place so not surprised to seen senior mazespin quote the company line

Last edited:
as i watch the whole season can i say two things Max's repeated claims he have nothing to do with drive to survive is complete bullshite,
features in almost every episode by his advocate horner almost appears more than miss horner, second of all the fact in the last episode of the season where
half the field goes WTF does not help with legatimising max WC

Enough talkin'; more vrooom.

Here we go for another season. Happy days are here again. Eyes down. Bahrain's a-comin'.

The UK telly times will be:

Fri 18 Mar
P1 - 12:00
P2 - 15:00

Sat 19 Mar
P3 - 12:00
Qual - 15:00

Sun 20 Mar
Race 15:00

:):thumbs:

(UK times are still GMT or UTC.)

Hamilton could race with new surname in 2022

Lewis Hamilton is set to change his name so that his mother, Carmen Larbalestier, can see her surname live on as part of the seven-time World Champion's racing legacy. The 37-year-old racer has revealed that he is in the process of changing his name and is hopeful that the move will soon be complete. Hamilton has raced bearing the surname of his father, Anthony, since his career began, but that name now appears set to be tweaked. Speaking at the 2022 Dubai Expo, the Mercedes driver explained how he does not understand why marriage should typically prevent a woman's surname from continuing while children carry the father's name.

Hamilton: We are working on my name change
Hamilton said pride in both sides of his family lineage means he wants to make the change. "It would mean the world to my family [to win an eighth title]; it would mean a lot to me knowing that, for example, I am really proud of my family's name, Hamilton," he told media. "None of you might know that my mum's name is Larbalestier and I am just about to put that in my name. I don't fully understand the idea that when people get married the woman loses their name. I really want my mum to continue on with the Hamilton name. Hopefully soon, not this weekend [for the Bahrain Grand Prix], but we are working on it."

What to expect from Formula 1’s new race weekend format in 2022

Formula 1 race weekends will look a little different from 2022 onwards, following a tweak to the schedule. Ahead of the season opener, we lay out how things have changed for this year.

Thursday is no longer media day:
Traditionally, teams would have most of their staff at track from first thing on Thursday morning, with media duties taking up a large part of the day. However the pre-race driver press conference, which last year saw all 20 drivers speak in pairs over a four-hour period, has been moved to Friday morning. Thursday will now see a later start, allowing some to fly in that morning for European events rather than Wednesday. A 3.5-hour window has been marked out for team track walks, while the FIA will carry out their systems checks and track inspections while teams will complete their engineering meetings.

Media moves to Friday:
The drivers’ press conference will now open Friday. It’ll run over two hours and must finish 90 minutes before first practice. That session, as with all free practice sessions, will last one hour but will take place later than it has previously. Second practice will follow two hours after the conclusion of FP1, with the drivers briefing remaining in place 90 minutes after the chequered flag falls for FP2.

Team bosses speak on Saturday:
The Team Principals’ press conference Which has previously slotted in on Friday between practice sessions moves to Saturday, 1.5 hours before FP3. Final practice continues to be the first F1 track action on Saturday, with qualifying following a couple of hours later.

Szafnauer left Aston Martin over Stroll

Otmar Szafnauer says he left Aston Martin because of interference from the team owner. The 57-year-old, who was at the helm throughout the Force India, Racing Point and Aston Martin transition, has switched over the winter to Renault-owned Alpine. When asked in Bahrain why that happened, Szafnauer answered: “Two Popes is not possible. But that was exactly the situation at Aston Martin,” he is quoted by international publications including Sport1.

He didn’t actually name Lance Stroll, but it is clear that he was pointing the finger squarely at the Canadian billionaire who bought the Silverstone based team from Vijay Mallya. “Vijay used to come to the factory maybe four days a year,” said Szafnauer. “He completely left the work, per se, to us.” He said the way Stroll operated was starkly different and “didn’t work”, but has no complaint about the “men and women” still at Silverstone. “In my twelve years there, I more than doubled the size of the team. I will miss all of them,” said Szafnauer.

On the face of it, he may have a point. Former F1 driver Christian Danner, for instance, believes Sebastian Vettel is “just as far from a win with Aston Martin” as he was a full year ago. The team is still in its infancy,” he added, “but I’m not so sure they have invested in the right direction.” F1 legend Gerhard Berger agrees, telling Servus TV that he is “not convinced” the 2022 car will deliver a significant step forward for Aston Martin. “Their success will depend primarily on whether they can modify the car and move forward,” he said. “Only then will Sebastian achieve high results, and then no matter what he also thinks about ecology and sustainability, that will not distract him.”

I guess we will not see "Kaspersky" on the Ferrari cars this weekend, iirc they are one of their main sponsors?

Edit, I just had a look at their car in testing and couldn't see Kaspersky on the front wing.

Last edited:
I guess we will not see "Kaspersky" on the Ferrari cars this weekend, iirc they are one of their main sponsors?

Edit, I just had a look at their car in testing and couldn't see Kaspersky on the front wing.

What will replace the Russian GP?

The cancellation of the Russian Grand Prix and the termination of the F1 contract with ANO Rosgonki, which has shareholders including the state-owned VTB Bank, the government, the Center Omega and the Russian auto sport federation, means that not only will there be no race in Sochi in 2022, but the plan to move the race to Autodrom Igora Drive near Saint Petersburg in 2023, with an initial deal in place until at least 2025, is also dead and gone. It is the price that Russia has to pay for going to war in Ukraine, as even if F1 was willing to accept money from Russia, the fees that the Russians would have to pay would be appreciably higher than in the past because of the Rouble-Dollar exchange rate, and there would have been a danger of F1 doing itself serious (and material) damage by the association. Money makes the world go round, and losing a little is better than risking losing a lot.

This means that there is a gap on the calendar on September 25 and F1 will obviously want to fill this with another event. It is a little bit complicated by the timing as no-one wants a calendar reshuffle at the moment because of all the rebooking that would be necessary. The other restriction is more mundane. The race in Russia was going to be the first leg of an intercontinental triple-header, with the Sochi race followed in quick succession by Singapore (on October 2) and Japan (on October 9). It meant that there is no available time to switch the F1 circus from its trucks, which are used in European events, to the travel boxes that are used for the freight for flyaway races. It would be impossible to do this if a replacement race was in Europe. Thus there is no chance for Turkey or Germany to step in, because both used trucks, rather than travel boxes.

Given this important practical element, the F1 group’s choice of venue was limited. In a perfect world, a replacement race would be on its way from Europe to Singapore, as Sochi was, so that freight could leave Russia on Monday and be in Singapore on Tuesday to give the teams time to get ready for the following weekend. When you look at map it is fairly clear that there is no obvious venue, except in the Middle East. It is not the moment to be trying out a new Grand Prix at a venue where no-one knows what will work and what will not work. The problem in the Middle East is that we already have races planned for Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi. Qatar, which hosted a race last year at the Losail International circuit, near Doha, was not included on the calendar this year because of the FIFA World Cup, which takes place in Qatar between November 21 and December 18. Thus it made no sense for Qatar to have a race at that time of year, as happened last year when the first Qatar Grand Prix took place on November 21.

So everyone forgot about Losail for 2022 and looked ahead to 2023 when there is supposed to be a new street circuit, along similar lines to the Jeddah City Circuit, in the downtown area of Doha. But could a race in late September be a possibility? It makes sense for Formula 1 and it make sense for Qatar, as it will add to the build-up for the World Cup and would continue to build up the associations with Qatar and global sports. The Losail track was designed for motorbikes and there were a few drawbacks for F1 in 2021, but there was nothing that made it impossible – and that would be true again this year. Thus it may be wise to conclude that F1 will be going back to Doha. Money is not really a question as Qatar has plenty of it and so it is really just a matter of the two parties getting together and building on the relationship that began last year and is due to continue for at last the next 10 years. In the longer term, Qatar can move back to a date in late November, while the gap created by the disappearance of the Russian GP can be very neatly filled if F1 can get its deal signed off with Las Vegas, which is believed to be just a few weeks away from an announcement of a street race in the city in 2023.
So Russia’s loss could well be the USA’s gain.

Joe Saward

NOW TV is on offer till the 27th. £20 a month instead of £34.

No longer owned by Murdoch so guilt free (I'm sure the people that now own it are completely lovely...).

I use DAZN so far I’ve found it to be very good. It’s only €10 a month. I used to have a better package through Movistar but it’s not available here.

Last edited:

Nico Hülkenberg to substitute for Sebastian Vettel in Bahrain

Sebastian Vettel has tested positive for Covid-19 and will not therefore be taking part in the 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix. Replacing him in the AMR22 will be Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team reserve driver Nico Hülkenberg, who will be in the car from FP1 onwards.

FIA race director Wittich lays down the law on F1 track limits

FIA race director Niels Wittich, who will share his duties as F1's chief steward with Eduardo Freitas, is taking a straightforward approach to track limit policing for this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix. In the recent past, F1's track limits were invariably defined by convoluted and complex briefs addressed to competitors ahead of a race weekend, only for the boundaries to remain a regularly contentious issue all through the season. But ahead of this weekend's curtain raiser at Sakhir, a pragmatic Wittich has simply stated that "the white lines define the track edges", and that no car should leave the track without good reason.

"In accordance with the provisions of Article 33.3, the white lines define the track edges," read an event note issued by the FIA on Thursday. "Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and, for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not".

Drivers, you have been warned. There's a new race director in town :thumbs:

Qualifying rules change makes F1 “a lot more fair”

Carlos Sainz Jnr has welcomed F1’s decision to drop its Q3 tyre rule, saying it will make races much fairer. The rule, which was introduced in 2014, required all drivers who reached Q3 to start the race on the tyres they used to set their quickest lap time in Q2. It has been removed from the sporting regulations for 2022, meaning all drivers have a free choice of tyre to start the race on. “I think it’s more fair,” Sainz told media in Bahrain.

The regulation had been criticised by drivers who felt it handed an advantage to the quickest teams who were able to use a harder tyre compound at the start of the race. Sainz thinks the rule change could lead teams towards more conservative strategies. However he believes this is a price worth paying for more equal competition for drivers. “The only negative thing is that probably in the races that are on the limit of the two and the one-stop, everyone will elect probably a stiffer compound and the race will become a maybe an easier one-stop because you have the possibility to start on the medium. On a new medium on top, not even used. That’s the only downside. But I’m happy to take that downside because it’s a lot more fair for everyone to start a race with equal opportunity, let’s say.”

Bahrain GP Free Practice 1

Bahrain Grand Prix Pierre Gasly saw AlphaTauri to the top of the timesheets ahead of Ferrari in the first practice session of the year. There was no lull to the start of the 2022 Formula One World Championship as the vast majority of cars were out on track just as soon as the first practice session started. The McLaren drivers, some of the few out on soft tyres, were the early leaders on the timesheets. Daniel Ricciardo, the first into the 1:36s, quickly had a few tenths shaved off his benchmark time by Lando Norris with a 1:36.584. The only other car out on soft tyres didn’t have as ideal a start to their year as Esteban Ocon’s Alpine lost one of its sidepods, a upgraded version getting its first run on track, in a shower of debris as the Frenchman drove along the start/finish straight. That saw the first red flag of the year make an appearance after less than ten minutes to allow the track to be cleared.

Twelve minutes later the track was back to green and all cars, aside from Ocon and Valtteri Bottas, were back circulating. Bottas had been out at the start of the session but returned to the Alfa Romeo garage after reporting the car was misfiring, while Alpine were returning the older specification sidepods to Ocon’s car. The first new quick lap following the red flag was from the other Alpine, with Fernando Alonso briefly taking the top spot before Max Verstappen broke the soft tyre domination and put in a 1:34.783 on the mediums. Ocon wasn’t the only one to lose some parts, George Russell lost a piece of his diffuser a few minutes after reporting back to Mercedes that the “car feels very affected by the wind.” The British driver spent a bit of time in the garage after that but with just over fifteen minutes on the clock, he went top of the times with a 1:34.629 on the softs.

Heading into the final ten minutes of the session it was Pierre Gasly and AlphaTauri with the benchmark, a 1:34.193 on softs, the Frenchman’s engineer very enthused by the performance on the radio saying “What a lap! That was nice. Getting into the mojo now.” Gasly’s time lasted for the remainder of the session with the two Ferrari’s his closest rivals but still more than three tenths behind. Russell’s was P4, 0.436 off, while Verstappen was P5. Lance Stroll was P6 with a 1:34.814 for Aston Martin, a tenth ahead of Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes in P7. Alonso was the faster of the Alpines in P8, 0.807 seconds slower than Gasly while Yuki Tsunoda slotted into P9 in the second AlphaTauri. The top ten was rounded out by Sergio Perez’ Red Bull with a 1:35.050. After being called out of bed to replace Sebastian Vettel for the weekend, Nico Hulkenberg had his first taste of the 2022 edition of Formula 1 car and only ended a second behind his teammate.

With two days of testing under his belt, Kevin Magnussen ended his first session back in F1 in P19, just over two and a half tenths off teammate Mick Schumacher’s 1:36.536. It was not a great start to Bottas’ season as after three misfire issues at the start he only managed to do another install lap later in the session before returning to the garage and failing to set a lap time.

Free Practice 1 results​

PosDriverTeamTimeGapLaps
1Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:34.193s22
2Charles LeclercFerrari1:34.557s+ 0.364s21
3Carlos SainzFerrari1:34.611s+ 0.418s22
4George RussellMercedes1:34.629s+ 0.436s22
5Max VerstappenRed Bull1:34.742s+ 0.549s21
6Lance StrollAston Martin1:34.814s+ 0.621s21
7Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:34.943s+ 0.750s16
8Fernando AlonsoAlpine1:35.000s+ 0.807s13
9Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri1:35.028s+ 0.835s19
10Sergio PérezRed Bull1:35.050s+ 0.857s22
11Guanyu ZhouAlfa Romeo1:35.053s+ 0.860s19
12Esteban OconAlpine1:35.151s+ 0.958s14
13Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:35.644s+ 1.451s14
14Nico HulkenbergAston Martin1:35.815s+ 1.622s22
15Alexander AlbonWilliams1:35.923s+ 1.730s16
16Lando NorrisMcLaren1:36.304s+ 2.111s21
17Daniel RicciardoMcLaren1:36.402s+ 2.209s19
18Mick SchumacherHaas1:36.536s+ 2.343s22
19Kevin MagnussenHaas1:36.804s+ 2.611s20
20Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo2

Brundle suspects FIA fears legal action over UAE findings

Ahead of Saturday’s FIA meeting into the Abu Dhabi finale, Martin Brundle suspects Formula 1 fears “legal ramifications” when all is revealed. The FIA’s World Motor Sport Council will meet on Saturday to formally discuss the findings from the investigation into last year’s season finale. Then FIA race director Michael Masi courted controversy when he allowed only the cars between championship rivals Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen to unlap themselves, setting up a last lap shoot-out. Verstappen passed Hamilton to secure the win and the World title with Mercedes furious. Masi has since lost his job while the FIA have taken steps to clarify the Safety Car rules which now state that “all” lapped cars must pass the race leader.

But what the FIA have not done in the midst of all of this is take a stand by declaring outright whether the rules were broken by Masi, or not. Former F1 driver Brundle thinks that’s because there are concerns about legal action if they say what Masi did contravened the regulations. “I think there’s fear in the paddock among some people with a vested interest,” he told Sky Sports F1. “They don’t want it to be seen that a mistake was made, therefore there’s any type of question mark over Verstappen’s World Championship. That’s inevitable in some quarters. But I suspect it’s more about any kind of legal ramifications, I don’t know, so I’m suspecting, with Michael Masi or something like that.”

There has been some speculation that the FIA won’t ultimately reveal their full report to the public. F1 chief Stefano Domenicali says he’ll push for that so that Formula 1 can “move forward” from Abu Dhabi. “In the next days, the FIA will formally discuss that at the World Motor Sport Council, because I think what we need to avoid is a personal discussion,” he told Sky Sports. “We are all human beings, you may say that you are performing well as a driver, as a team, as a referee, but this is not relevant to the credibility of the sport, if the sport will take all the lessons in order to improve that. The credibility is passing through this kind of action, and this is what we’re expecting the FIA to take on board in their preparation of next year. I will attend the World Council, and we will see. That is the aim, to have a step forward to move forward from Abu Dhabi. We are already in Bahrain. So there is no need to talk about a different approach other than to say what we learned as regulator from that last race.”

Suggested to him that some fans will always feel that the race was fixed, Domenicali insisted that was not the case. “I have not for a single second in my mind thought that was something built on purpose,” he said. “As a sportsman, if I thought that was the case, I would not be there. And I can guarantee that from Formula 1’s perspective, that is not the case. We had last week a meeting with all the promoters, almost all of where we’re going are sold out, that means Formula 1 is not that problem and it means the trust is there.”

Fascinating seeing the competitive order beginning to emerge in FP2, where most of them are putting in runs on soft tyres. Granted there can still be sandbagging with fuel loads end engine modes at the front, but both Haas cars, Bottas and Alonso all looking really strong.

Looks like a Red Bull / Ferrari battle for the race win this weekend.

NOW TV is on offer till the 27th. £20 a month instead of £34.

No longer owned by Murdoch so guilt free (I'm sure the people that now own it are completely lovely...).

What are the actual options for watching the races if you don't have Sky? I see there's some kind of official F1TV service, but that only seems to give you live timings and pit lane cameras or something?

What are the actual options for watching the races if you don't have Sky? I see there's some kind of official F1TV service, but that only seems to give you live timings and pit lane cameras or something?
I haven't looked for any new links yet this season but I believe these work

Usual caution with anit-virus and pop-up blocker, I've used this stite loads of times and never had any problems, but you can never be to careful. If you get a pop-up asking you to download or update something ignore it.

I
DAZN has a dedicated F1 channel. It's all live. This weekend alone there's all the practises, the qualis, the race, press interviews. The rest of the week there's interviews, old races, etc. 24/7

eta I watch it on ipad, phone, or TV, which ever is most convenient.

Lewis Hamilton handed fine before first 2022 F1 race after negotiations with FIA boss

Lewis Hamilton has been fined for refusing to attend the end-of-season gala to celebrate Max Verstappen’s world title win. The seven-times world champion did not show up at the glittering bash in Paris after he and his Mercedes team felt they were robbed by a controversial decision in the last lap of the Abu Dhabi finale. Hamilton has now confirmed he will have to pay a financial penalty for his no-show at the awards night... but that it will go to a cause. He met with new FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem ahead of the Bahrain Grand Prix and announced: “There will be some sort of fine re. the gala but we have worked together to make sure that the money will be put towards youth from underprivileged backgrounds getting into motorsports engineering.” Formula One protocols demand the top three drivers in the final standings turn up to the prize-giving in Paris to receive their award.

But Hamilton was clearly unable to go and watch Verstappen collect the crown the Brit thought he had won right up until that last lap in Abu Dhabi. As for this season, Hamilton has vowed to “raise my game” and will have “the same dedication, drive and passion I had way back in my karting days.” Hamilton claims he “holds no grudges” and “carries no baggage” going into the new season and is more focused than ever on being the best on the grid. But the 37-year-old also insisted he will continue his work away from the track, calling for more inclusion in his sport and standing up for human rights across the globe. “The world is a mess,” said Hamilton. “We are seeing more displacement of refugees than we have ever seen before - not just from Ukraine but from Syria, from Yemen. It should be a priority for us all to come together and push for change. As drivers we have a platform to help raise awareness.”

Hamilton has even become a hero of political prisoners in Bahrain, with some inmates painting his car number 44 on the walls of their cells. He went on: “All I can do is to try my hardest to help these people. There are some organisations doing amazing things for human rights and we need to support them. I try to have serious conversations in the background to try and improve the system but it is difficult, it is risky. We can all do more. I’m trying to do as much as I can do.” Asked if the injustice of the finale to 2021 had left him eager for revenge and had given him even more motivation, he replied: “That’s not my psyche. I am just a person who is even more determined to be the best I can be and see if I can somehow raise my game. I just want to try and be the best I can be - in and out of the car. I am not sitting here holding any grudges. I don’t carry any baggage into the season. I know I can’t change what is in the past.”

I thought F1 TV showed live coverage via streaming, complete with commentary, etc. but I don’t use it myself, so I can’t be sure.

Verstappen leads Ferrari duo in FP2

Mercedes drivers George Russell and Lewis Hamilton finished down in fourth and ninth place respectively. In the only representative practice session of the weekend given its evening setting, the field headed out in unusually cool temperatures 17°C air temperature with a strong headwind blowing down the main straight at the Sakhir venue. Haas driver Kevin Magnussen was the first driver to head out, running the yellow-walled medium tyres that all drivers bar McLaren's Daniel Ricciardo used for their initial FP2 laps. Magnussen duly set the first place benchmark at 1m34.572s, which was soon beaten by Carlos Sainz as the Ferrari driver followed Magnussen through during the early running. But Leclerc, running shortly behind his teammate, posted a 1m33.121s that stood as the top time until nearly the end of the opening 30 minutes of the one-hour session.

Hamilton and the Red Bull drivers were the last drivers to appear on the mediums, with the Mercedes driver having to wait in his garage as his team finalised last minute set-up changes that included switching him to the floor specification that teammate Russell used in FP1 earlier on Friday afternoon. Hamilton complained his car was "still bouncing a lot" even with that switch and he also had a big lock-up on his opening flying lap on the mediums that sent him deep and nearly off track at the exit of the first corner. He languished down the field at this stage, while the Red Bull pair with Sergio Perez only joining the fray after the opening quarter had elapsed ran over half a second adrift of Leclerc's best during their medium tyre running.

When 20 minutes had passed, the switch to the soft tyres for qualifying simulation running took place, led by Aston Martin pair Nico Hulkenberg and Lance Stroll. They climbed the order as a result, but could not better Leclerc's time on the harder mediums with the Monegasque's benchmark finally beaten by Alpine's Fernando Alonso on a soft tyre effort that yielded a 1m32.877s after 26 minutes had passed. Sainz's first run on the softs did get him ahead of Leclerc's medium tyre time, but only just as he lost time in the final sector. With his first run on the softs a minute after Alonso's time had come in, Leclerc roared back to the top spot with a 1m32.263s that featured then purple times in all three sectors. Perez led Red Bull's efforts on the softs as the opening half hour ended, but he wound up 0.6s slower than Leclerc with a slow middle sector. Just inside the session's second half, Verstappen went for his qualifying sim flier and beat Leclerc in the opening sector. He shipped a fraction in the middle part of the lap but recovered enough time by the end to go fastest on a 1m31.936s that stood as the best time to the end of the session.

A few minutes later, Leclerc went for a second go on the softs and with a stronger final sector, although with a slower middle sector than his personal best, he closed to nearly match Verstappen's time. Before that, the Mercedes drivers had posted their soft tyre efforts, with Russell leading the way, albeit 0.593s slower than Verstappen. Hamilton had had to abandon his first flying lap on the softs after he locked up again at Turn 1 and went deep, the seven-time world champion reporting a "problem with the front brakes" that were "pulling" on his front-right corner, and Mercedes later explaining he was also losing out with a malfunctioning DRS. Hamilton's soft tyre time was a 1m33.144 that ended up as the ninth fastest time, 1.208s behind Verstappen's best. Sainz finished with the third quickest time as he was given another attempt on the softs early in the sessions final third, where the field switched to the traditional long-run data gathering for race preparations. He jumped to finish 0.584s slower than Verstappen, but ahead of Russell and Alonso.

Valtteri Bottas recovered from his misfire-mangled FP1 to finish sixth with 29 laps completed for Alfa Romeo, ending up ahead of Perez and Mick Schumacher in the lead Haas. Magnussen followed his teammate the other side of Hamilton in 10th place. Lando Norris finished with the 11th fastest time ahead of Esteban Ocon, who was another driver reporting severe porpoising during the early running. Ricciardo finished with the lowest lap count 12 as he sat out the end of the session as McLaren worked on the rear of his MCL36 in the pits. Tsunoda, who finished 14th overall, with FP1 pacesetter Pierre Gasly 13th in the other AlphaTauri, also made contact with Stroll at the entry to Turn 8 during the closing stages.

Practice 2 Results

PosNameCarBest TimeGap Leader
1Max VerstappenRed Bull1m31.936s
2Charles LeclercFerrari1m32.023s+0.087s
3Carlos Sainz Jr.Ferrari1m32.52s+0.584s
4George RussellMercedes1m32.529s+0.593s
5Fernando AlonsoAlpine-Renault1m32.877s+0.941s
6Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo-Ferrari1m32.951s+1.015s
7Sergio PérezRed Bull1m32.958s+1.022s
8Mick SchumacherHaas-Ferrari1m33.085s+1.149s
9Lewis HamiltonMercedes1m33.144s+1.208s
10Kevin MagnussenHaas-Ferrari1m33.183s+1.247s
11Lando NorrisMcLaren-Mercedes1m33.28s+1.344s
12Esteban OconAlpine-Renault1m33.36s+1.424s
13Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri-Red Bull1m33.621s+1.685s
14Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri-Red Bull1m33.789s+1.853s
15Guanyu ZhouAlfa Romeo-Ferrari1m33.953s+2.017s
16Lance StrollAston Martin-Mercedes1m33.958s+2.022s
17Nico HülkenbergAston Martin-Mercedes1m34.061s+2.125s
18Daniel RicciardoMcLaren-Mercedes1m34.166s+2.23s
19Nicholas LatifiWilliams-Mercedes1m34.486s+2.55s
20Alex AlbonWilliams-Mercedes1m34.735s+2.799s

Well it looks like Mercedes are not sandbagging and will start this season like last season. But as I always say never bet against Mercedes or Lewis. I know many of you believe my driver from last season was the real winner of the drivers championship, but unfortunately the records say different, but it is an ill wind etc.... Because Michael Masi didn't follow the protocol I have the option of changing my driver for this season. My mate has to stick with Max Verstappen as he won the drivers championship again due to Masi's misstep.

I have thought long and hard about this year as there are a number of drivers I could choose, if I were to only look at testing and FP. Tonight I have to make the announcement at the bar, as my nomination must be made prior to qualifying tomorrow. Despite what all the pundits say I still have faith and I am sure Mercedes will iron out any problems they have, so I am again going for the GOAT, Lewis is again my choice for this season and I hope I don't have to keep paying for Sundays bar bill :) LOLOL

I lost last season as Lewis won only 8 races while Max managed 10, I hope we can change that this season :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom