Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2022

It doesn't sound like Marzipan plans to go quietly...

I hear the sound of lawyers' phones ringing.

:facepalm:
Marzipan Jr's problem is no other team will want him and for the foreseeable future his Dad can't just buy his way into F1. This I believe is the end of his career in F1 (unless his dad buys a team in a few years which I think is unlikely). The bigger the fuss he makes the less likely he is ever to get back, but what we have here is a face saving issue :) They can talk to Haas and try to come to some arrangement for a future drive or they can come out with all guns blazing. His family has the money to keep this in court for years and that would really hurt Haas or they can come to some sort of deal.

What about Haas and their finances? According to Steiner they will not have a problem, he is reported as saying "It is a headache but it's not something which disturbs the team on the competition side, Financially, we are OK. It has no implication on the team, how we are running it, or how we plan the season. There are more ways to get the funding, so there is no issue with that one."

I'm not so sure this is true. Uralkali and Marzipan Jr's personal sponsorship bring millions to the team (my guess is more than 40%) and will not be that easy to replace. I'm sure their are lots of people who will be willing to put money into Haas, Andretti must be watching this closely along with others, but one thing is for sure Haas F1 needs money and needs it fast. Gene Haas made it very clear last year and the year before that he wasn't interested in pumping more money into the team. He said “I think quite frankly a lot of teams just waste a lot of money. They hired way too many people, they got a little bit too much overhead, you know, we were very frugal. We don’t just spend money because someone says you need to spend money. Someone said ‘Well you need at least 250 people to run a team’ and it’s like, well, who said that? We’re only going to have the number of people we need, we’re only going to spend the money we need to and we’re not going to waste a lot of money. Most of the other teams developed everything themselves. They build everything from suspensions to power steering racks to hydraulic motors. We’re here to race cars, we’re not here to necessarily want to build them from the ground up. I mean, we have to do that, there are certain things that we have to comply with and we’re doing that but to try to do it all I think just consumes huge amounts of money. In the end, if we can come in and show you can run a Formula 1 team on a reasonable amount of money, that certainly should be beneficial for everybody." I guess the costcap will help, but I don't think Gene Haas will bridge the gap alone.

Could we have Andretti/Haas F1 team very soon? Haas F1 have had a few days to look at this situation and I'm sure have come up with at least a short term solution to cover their financial situation, but what will happen in the longer term?

Last edited:

Who could replace Nikita Mazepin at Haas for 2022 F1 season?

With Nikita Mazepin sacked by Haas, who could replace the Russian driver at the American outfit for the 2022 F1 season? Doubts over whether Mazepin would continue to race in F1 for a second season were raised during the opening pre-season test in Barcelona following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Pietro Fittipaldi

Pietro Fittipadli appears to be the most likely option to replace Mazepin given that the Brazilian is already embedded in the Haas team as its reserve driver. Certainly as a short-term replacement, Fittipaldi would be a viable solution and Steiner has already stated that the grandson of two-time F1 world champion Emerson would be first in line to receive a call to step in for Mazepin. “If Nikita couldn’t drive for one or another reason, the first call would go to Pietro,” said Steiner. "He knows the team, he knows the car to jump in for one day to the other. There is nobody better than Pietro around at the moment.” The 25-year-old has already made two F1 starts with Haas at the end of 2020 in Sakhir and Abu Dhabi when he deputised for Romain Grosjean as the Frenchman recovered from the injuries he sustained in his horrific fireball crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix.
[My question is, what money will he bring to the team? Back in 2020 the Brazilian government made a B$5M investment in him, but no-one really knows where that money went (how very Brazilian LOL), He was also sponsored by the very doggie airbit club who's owner was extradited to the USA for fraud, turns out it was a Ponzi scheme. I think no money no permanent seat.

Antonio Giovinazzi

Could Antonio Giovinazzi be provided with an unexpected F1 lifeline? The 27 year-old Italian lost his Alfa Romeo seat to Formula 2 graduate Guanyu Zhou for 2022 and subsequently secured a switch to Formula E with Dragon. Giovinazzi enjoyed his best F1 season to date in 2021 and can be considered unfortunate to miss out on a spot on the 2022 grid. Not only does he have links to Haas through his ties to Ferrari, but Giovinazzi also boasts the most recent grand prix experience of any driver that could be available to Haas. He would be an attractive option for Haas and Giovinazzi would likely jump at the opportunity to return to F1 so soon, particularly when Dragon looks like it could be in for a difficult campaign towards the back of the FE grid. Getting Giovinazzi out of his contract with Dragon could prove to be the biggest hurdle if such an opportunity was to arrive.
[What about the money, well if Ferrari want one of their academy drivers (and an Italian driver) in an F1 seat, Haas could get a very good deal on their Furrari supplied power-units, he also has some good sponsors, but I don't think they'd bring the same money as Mazepin]

Nico Hulkenberg

If experience is what Haas is looking for, then there are few better options on the market than Nico Hulkenberg. Hulkenberg has 179 grand prix starts to his name since making his F1 debut with Williams in 2010 but has not raced full-time in the world championship since losing his Renault seat at the end of 2019. The German impressed during three cameo outings for Racing Point in the 2020 season when regular drivers Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll were ruled out with COVID-19. Hulkenberg has remained close to the F1 paddock by carrying out a reserve driver role for Aston Martin but has conceded that his grand prix career is effectively over. But Hulkenberg could find himself with a last chance saloon.
{Money again, he was sponsored by Dekra, Alpinestars and a few others, I'm sure he'd get some money to bring to the team, but how much?)

Oscar Piastri

Many feel that Oscar Piastri should already be on the F1 grid after storming to back-to-back titles in Formula 3 and Formula 2 over the past two years. However, with a lack of seats available, the 20-year-old Australian sensation has been forced to sit on the sidelines as Alpine’s reserve driver for the 2022 campaign. Alpine may be willing to sanction a one-year deal in order to get Piastri on the F1 grid and assess how he fares ahead of a potential promotion to the French outfit in 2023. Haas would provide Piastri with valuable experience in a low-pressure environment to find his feet. Haas had no qualms about running an all-rookie driver pairing in 2021 and Piatsri would form an exciting and talented line-up alongside fellow F2 champion Mick Schumacher.
[Money? He has a few sponsors, HPtuners, Flash Diesel, VCM performance and others, would Alpine pay his wages to get him some experience?]

Kevin Magnussen

Probably the most unlikely option on this list, but Kevin Magnussen would be another candidate who would bring vast experience to Haas’ line-up. Magnussen is no stranger to the American outfit after driving for the team between 2017 and 2020 and being its stand-out performer during much of that period alongside Grosjean. Despite his displays, Magnussen was ultimately booted out in favour of the money Mazepin and Uralkali were bringing to the team. The Dane could not compete with such funding and was forced out of F1. While a return to F1 may be tempting for Magnussen, he has already committed to Peugeot’s long-awaited Le Mans 24 Hours return and World Endurance Championship assault in 2022.
[He'd bring some money with sponsors, Jack and Jones and OmniCar were with him before and may be willing to return along with others]

I think no driver will be able to come close to replacing the Mazepin and Uralkali money, but a driver bringing money and an outsider buying into the tesam could go a long way in helping Haas survive, in the short term if they need money I think Liberty Media will pay a few million to keep them on the grid.

I think no driver will be able to come close to replacing the Mazepin and Uralkali money, but a driver bringing money and an outsider buying into the tesam could go a long way in helping Haas survive, in the short term if they need money I think Liberty Media will pay a few million to keep them on the grid.
I doubt Haas have the luxury of taking anyone other than whoever can bring the most money, so it’ll be a numbers game. Would be good if it’s Pietro, he’s a good personality to have in F1

There's no easy way of saying this, and it hasn't sunk in properly with me yet, but Badgers passed away this morning.

He was taken into hospital with acute pancreatitis last night. He then had a heart attack early this morning and unfortunately couldn't be saved.

I'll post more as and when I hear anything further.

RIP James / Badgers

Our very own Ayrton Senna has left the building.

could not bring myself to mention it still bit speechless like you spitfire never met the fella but he was on a very short list of i'd of love to share a race or a beer

ffs he touch almost everypart of the boards

so soon after fishy as well :(

Mercedes unleash stunning new F1 safety car

Mercedes has unveiled its stunning new safety car ahead of the start of the 2022 F1 season. The German manufacturer has replaced the Mercedes-AMG GT R that had been used since 2019 with its GT Black Series. The 'Black Series' moniker is the title given by Mercedes to special cars from its range that have transferable genes from the road to the racetrack. The car, to be driven by Bernd Maylander, keeps the red livery it has adorned in recent times. But along with the new AMG GT 63 S 4MATIC+ medical car, Mercedes is providing the fastest response vehicles in F1 history.

Philipp Schiemer, CEO of Mercedes-AMG GmbH, said: “Recent years have seen Mercedes-AMG celebrate a huge number of amazing successes in the FIA Formula One world championship. Eight constructors’ titles and seven drivers’ titles in the last eight years speak emphatically for themselves. Added to that is the extensive and widespread transfer of technology and image from this greatest of all motorsport stages and our series-production vehicles. Motorsport means so much to us, as does the best possible level of safety. There was absolutely no question that, after more than 25 years, we would extend our commitment as the provider of the safety car and medical car with two absolutely outstanding vehicles from our line-up."

1646743669047.png
1646743686596.png

It started for Mercedes with the C 36 AMG back in 1996 :)

1646743952766.png

1646744800378.png

Last edited:

Sauber Group appoints new Managing Director

Alfa Romeo Formula 1’s parent company Sauber Group has appointed Alessandro Alunni Bravi as its new Managing Director. Alunni Bravi has been Sauber’s General Counsel since 2017 and has also been a member of its Board. He has also been a driver manager and has a lengthy association with Alfa Romeo team boss Frederic Vasseur. Alunni Bravi will focus on the marketing, communications, sales, legal, IT and finance of Sauber, with the company keen to remain an entity away from the running of its Formula 1 team. “Alessandro has been an integral part of the growth of our company, on and off the track, in the last few years and I am excited about the contribution he will make in his new position,” said Vasseur. “Few can match his knowledge of motorsports with that of business and the complex legal landscape in which we operate, and this makes Alessandro the right person for this challenge.”

Commented Alunni Bravi: “It’s an honour to take on the challenge of being Managing Director of a company with the successful history that Sauber has. I am also aware of the responsibility that this position brings towards the more than 500 people employed by Sauber, a commitment I will meet with hard work, passion and dedication. I’d like to thank Frédéric Vasseur and the Sauber Group shareholders, as well as all those who have been by my side these last years, making it possible for me to achieve this next step.”

1646744812402.png

Last edited:

F1 Bahrain pre-season testing: Start time, TV, timetable

F1 returns to Bahrain as cars hit the track for the final three days of testing ahead of the highly anticipated new season. Mercedes topped the first test with a one-two as Lewis Hamilton headed new team-mate George Russell, although times are expected to be more representative at the Bahrain International Circuit. Unlike the first test in Barcelona, fans are able to watch proceedings throughout the three days in the Middle East as excitement builds for the first race of the year just a week later.

Here are the details you need:

Testing schedule

Thursday:
Second pre-season test day one - 10:00 - 19:00 local time [07:00 - 16:00 GMT]

Friday: Second pre-season test day two - 10:00 - 19:00 local time [07:00 - 16:00 GMT]

Saturday: Second pre-season test day three - 10:00 - 19:00 local time [07:00 - 16:00 GMT]

1646744823111.png

Last edited:

F1 rumours: Radical Mercedes W13 with no sidepods?

Mercedes are said to be arriving at the Sakhir circuit with a W13 that doesn’t have any sidepods whatsoever, and their rivals are worried. That’s according to a report in Corriere dello Sport. Debuting their all-new cars last month in Formula 1’s group shakedown at the Circuit de Catalunya there were several different sidepod designs on display. While Ferrari went with a baby bath and louvred sidepod tops, the Red Bull RB18 features a dramatic undercut. Alfa Romeo’s had a bit of both. As for Mercedes, they opted for a multi-geometry surface before the reigning Constructors’ Champions then trialled louvred sidepods during the opening test. For Bahrain, though, they are reportedly expected to arrive with a car that doesn’t have any sidepods.

According to Corriere dello Sport, the sidepods are ‘gone’ after Mercedes’ tests in the simulator showed a ‘monstrous’ upturn in the performance. ‘It would be a car almost completely devoid of sides, the disappearance of which would have involved an imaginative but effective arrangement of the radiators, in the highest area of the bodywork,’ read the report. The sidepod-less design has shown ‘impressive simulator performances, with already legendary gains’. And it is said to be ‘disturbing’ the tech gurus at their rival teams while causing ‘more than one team principal to be alarmed’. But whether it will lead to a protest should Mercedes run the design at the Bahrain Grand Prix remains to be seen with the Brackley squad having said to have asked for ‘substantial clarifications before proceeding’ with the design.

Over at Mercedes, they are being coy about the upgraded package. A spokesman for the team told Auto Motor und Sport: “Everyone flies to Bahrain with new parts. The biggest upgrades are usually the ones you can see from the outside.” Sky Sport’s Ted Kravitz reckons this week could see a barrage of protests, or at least questions, being put before the FIA and its new race directors. “There are already lots of teams looking at various bits on other cars and going, ‘hang on, I didn’t think we were allowed to do that! Every single thing is going to be objected or even protested. That’s the problem for these race directors these two guys are coming in at a particularly red-hot time for inter-team protests.”

Nikita Mazepin: ‘I didn’t deserve it.

On March 9, Mazepin addressed the public in a press conference and got to have his say on the situation. It is understood that Mazepin is not happy with the way that he has been treated. During his press conference, Mazepin said, “I deserved more support from the team. There is no legal reason to terminate the contract. I was relieved to see that the FIA allowed us to start in neutral colours, I was hoping to drive. Everything changed and I lost the dream I had been working for for 18 years. I heard about my kick from Haas, like everyone else, from the press. I didn’t deserve it. I was very disappointed with how it was played. I hadn’t been worried since I left Barcelona.” Mazepin’s aims are now that he helps other atheletes who are being prohibited from competing due to a situation which is out of their control. He set up a foundation with the title of ‘We Compete as One’, which is similar to F1’s motto, ‘We Race as One’. It is founded by the money from the former Uralkali-Haas sponsorship and will start by helping off the paralympic team.

While the 23-year old feels that he has received no support from his team, he admitted that some people from the paddock did have his back. He said, “I appreciated the small number of drivers who expressed their support for me. Sergio (Perez), Valtteri (Bottas), Charles (Leclerc) and George (Russell) all contacted me. They know how important the situation is, and they showed their support after I lost the opportunity to compete. The messages were nothing political but just on a personal level to keep my head up because athletes have been broken and lives have been destroyed after a decision like that.”

Meanwhile, Mercedes Team Principal, Toto Wolff expressed how he is devasted to the Russian fans who enjoyed watching F1. At the same time, he understands that with the current situation, such actions had to be done. Netflix cancelled streaming in Russia and the public will also fail to see their Russian driver compete in the sport. Wolff said, “I’m sad for the Russian public that enjoyed watching Formula One. And a population that maybe has no interest at all in geopolitics or any of that. But we as a society, we just can’t look over that. Even a sports team. We are commercially driven, and it’s an attractive location to race, but at a certain stage you have to say, ‘Up to here and no more.'”

F1 rumours: Radical Mercedes W13 with no sidepods?

Mercedes are said to be arriving at the Sakhir circuit with a W13 that doesn’t have any sidepods whatsoever, and their rivals are worried. That’s according to a report in Corriere dello Sport. Debuting their all-new cars last month in Formula 1’s group shakedown at the Circuit de Catalunya there were several different sidepod designs on display. While Ferrari went with a baby bath and louvred sidepod tops, the Red Bull RB18 features a dramatic undercut. Alfa Romeo’s had a bit of both. As for Mercedes, they opted for a multi-geometry surface before the reigning Constructors’ Champions then trialled louvred sidepods during the opening test. For Bahrain, though, they are reportedly expected to arrive with a car that doesn’t have any sidepods.

According to Corriere dello Sport, the sidepods are ‘gone’ after Mercedes’ tests in the simulator showed a ‘monstrous’ upturn in the performance. ‘It would be a car almost completely devoid of sides, the disappearance of which would have involved an imaginative but effective arrangement of the radiators, in the highest area of the bodywork,’ read the report. The sidepod-less design has shown ‘impressive simulator performances, with already legendary gains’. And it is said to be ‘disturbing’ the tech gurus at their rival teams while causing ‘more than one team principal to be alarmed’. But whether it will lead to a protest should Mercedes run the design at the Bahrain Grand Prix remains to be seen with the Brackley squad having said to have asked for ‘substantial clarifications before proceeding’ with the design.

Over at Mercedes, they are being coy about the upgraded package. A spokesman for the team told Auto Motor und Sport: “Everyone flies to Bahrain with new parts. The biggest upgrades are usually the ones you can see from the outside.” Sky Sport’s Ted Kravitz reckons this week could see a barrage of protests, or at least questions, being put before the FIA and its new race directors. “There are already lots of teams looking at various bits on other cars and going, ‘hang on, I didn’t think we were allowed to do that! Every single thing is going to be objected or even protested. That’s the problem for these race directors these two guys are coming in at a particularly red-hot time for inter-team protests.”

No sidepods? :thumbs:

Reminds me of one of best looking F1 cars ever...

1646840946879.png

Yeah I agree, also a bit hot headed at times though which did him no favours despite being entertaining.
The problem for drivers is that, when you have one or two dominating the sport, there's nothing for good drivers to achieve. At best they're going to be #3. That's often not really enough for an ambitious driver.

Back
Top Bottom