Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Sweden

Who's going to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you reckon thats it? In Italy Seria A all teams seem to play one touch passing football (or so it seemed when it used to be on tv)

Thats because in Italy no one closes you down, one team keeps the ball for 20 minutes and then they give the ball to the other team who keep it for 20 minutes and everyone gets bored to death. And of course everyone in Italy is on the take.

Very few teams could do what Spain can do, its a level of skill which has been honed from childhood. It would take 15 years for England to play like that as we would need to start training the kids now.

It would take 15 years for England to play like that as we would need to start training the kids now.
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiis!

Weren't they saying during the Germany/Holland match that the Germans recently tore up their programme, started again, and the current crop of players is the start of them reaping their rewards?

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiis!

Weren't they saying during the Germany/Holland match that the Germans recently tore up their programme, started again, and the current crop of players is the start of them reaping their rewards?

Yup, its why they havent won a trophy for a while, they've been sorting themselves out. After the 1-5 drubbing we gave them they went away and built a youth system, we sat back and congratulated ourselves and concentrated on the premier league.

In fairness we are tring to do this now in England (Burton) but it'll take one or maybe two generations to have any impact.

Hoping for an Eng win but I think It'll be 0-0, Carroll flopping massively(utter shite and a disgrace to even have picked him to be in the squad even)

Hoping for an Eng win but I think It'll be 0-0, Carroll flopping massively(utter shite and a disgrace to even have picked him to be in the squad even)
He does seem to have been picked on the back of a good performance in one half of one match. I hope you're wrong, and the player who turned up in those 45 minutes turns up tonight. Seems a bit of a long shot.

Sky Sports News are reporting a standoff in Kiev between two opposing groups of red-faced drunks.

Sky Sports News are reporting a standoff in Kiev between two opposing groups of red-faced drunks.

There are around 20,000 Swedish fans there, about 3000 English, and god knows how many Ukrainians. The English will do well to keep a low profile.

Thats because in Italy no one closes you down, one team keeps the ball for 20 minutes and then they give the ball to the other team who keep it for 20 minutes and everyone gets bored to death. And of course everyone in Italy is on the take.

Very few teams could do what Spain can do, its a level of skill which has been honed from childhood. It would take 15 years for England to play like that as we would need to start training the kids now.
I wouldnt disagree with you, and England aside, I'm sure Prem teams could pass it around a lot more, even with everyone trying to close them down.

Its not as if Prem teams are short of talent. It seems to me to be partly a cultural thing... I also reckon its the shit weather - in Brazil Spain and Italy its hot so you want to chill a bit and pass rather than run up and down - in England its pissing down with rain half the time and running around is a survival strategy as much as anything.

He does seem to have been picked on the back of a good performance in one half of one match. I hope you're wrong, and the player who turned up in those 45 minutes turns up tonight. Seems a bit of a long shot.

I hope i'm wrong too but nothing i've seen of him convinces me otherwise, to me he just comes across as a very fit sunday league player. You're right, one decent half and he's in the squad, if they we're looking for a 'big man up front' option, i'd have taken Grant Holt, much better season overall.

To be fair, he had more than a decent half when he played for Newcastle, he was properly decent and led our line well. Any number of theories as to why he hasn't replicated that at Liverpool, but I think he's worth a shot.

Though I still think it's criminal Grant Holt wasn't given a runout :mad:

tbh id never heard of Carroll but im not a real supporter, just like international games. However every proper fan ive spoken to really doesnt rate him.

I also think he has silly hair...

SWEDEN SOUR

As anyone will tell you, Roy Hodgson has a tactical mind so sharp that the British Medical Association has advised its members not to perform brain surgery on him for fear they will lacerate their fingers on his cerebellum. So tonight's crunch match with Sweden had the Fiver second-guessing what technical wizardry Roy would come up with. Would it be O'Ireland's 0-0-0 formation against Spain? Or, given Sweden's weakness against 87-year-old Chelsea flops, was a recall for Chris Sutton on the cards?

Those two options are too obvious for Roy though. Instead he will buck decades of English tradition and instruct his wingers to put in some crosses for a big man to head. The good news for Sweden is that the big man in question is Andy Carroll. "It is not necessarily a weakness to find crosses hard to deal with if the crosses are of a very good quality," said Mr Roy, as Theo Walcott's ball found the head of an IT worker in Slovakia. "In all the clubs I have worked at I have always done a lot of work on players getting in crossing situations and movement for crosses," as Stewart Downing aimed at Row Z … and floated the ball on to Carroll's forehead. Not that Mr Roy's retro approach is necessarily doomed. The Swedish defence broke down and cried every time a cross went anywhere near Andriy Shevchenko on Monday, Carroll was showing form at the end of the domestic season and also linked up to devastating effect with Downing for Liverp … and was showing form at the end of the domestic season.

In fact, I'd say Spain couldn't possibly have managed it without La Masia, and we need all the clubs to develop this via academies

to be honest, a lot of the "La Masia" Spanish youth development is overblown. It's pure coincidence that they've produced two, once-in-a-generation geniuses who complement each other, at the same time. Take those two out of the equation and they'd probably be no better than any other major footballing nation.

to be honest, a lot of the "La Masia" Spanish youth development is overblown. It's pure coincidence that they've produced two, once-in-a-generation geniuses who complement each other, at the same time. Take those two out of the equation and they'd probably be no better than any other major footballing nation.
There's always a big element of luck. But some systems put themselves in the position to benefit from that luck more often than others.

That said, I would think that half the Spanish bench would be in almost every other team's starting 11, even Germany's. Who else would leave Fabregas on the bench?

Wonder if rules will require teams to have a five minute cold shower just after kick-off to keep the group fair?

we will fuck it up. it will end up in a draw with yet more ebarressing loss of possession

Ashley Cole plays his 20th match at major tournament (Euros and WC), equalling the most ever by an English player: David Beckham and Peter Shilton.....according to the Beeb

Back
Top Bottom