Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Sweden

Who's going to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FFS - why does urban go all playground whenever football is concernted?

Is anyone saying that England are the best team? That they are going to win it?

No.

But in the freindlies and agasint france they have played reasonably well for players of their abilities - which is a significent improvment on the last three tournaments they've been invovled in.

Beating Sweden would be a very good result - this is definitely not an 'easy' game.

Just getting to the q-finals would count as a decent performance for England.

Also, I'd like Milner on the bench to come on for Parker/Gerrard as a pair of fresh legs as opposed to being moved into the centre after 75 mins or whatever.

This is a really good point, Gerrard and Parker looked shattered towards the end of the France match and cover looks very thin, not quite sure Henderson is up to the job. I'm even slightly missing Barry and Lampard because as least we would have had some cover on the bench.

2-0 England and Carroll first scorer is 50-1.

I'm looking forward to tonight. I'm torn about playing Milner or Ox on the right. I'd prefer Ox as he is a more attacking player but Milner is the better crosser of the ball. Also, I'd like Milner on the bench to come on for Parker/Gerrard as a pair of fresh legs as opposed to being moved into the centre after 75 mins or whatever.

I put £2 on terry to be top goal scorer in england's tournament. on the assumption they wont make it out of the group stages. 25/1. Still fancy it.

I put £2 on terry to be top goal scorer in england's tournament. on the assumption they wont make it out of the group stages. 25/1. Still fancy it.

Yeah I've backed Terry to be 1st scorer tonight at 22/1, I figure set pieces might be our most likely chance of scoring. That being said loads of the goals have come from set pieces so far.

Ava6if4CAAA7jc1.jpg

:D

See, now why do I find it charmingly cheeky when they do it, but crass and stupid if one of our tabloids did it?

(Also, mildly interesting that it's all in English, not sure I could see one of ours doing that)

See, now why do I find it charmingly cheeky when they do it, but crass and stupid if one of our tabloids did it?

(Also, mildly interesting that it's all in English, not sure I could see one of ours doing that)

You mean tabloid journalists have an iffy grasp of English? :D

I think the reason why it's funny in the Swedish paper but usually not in our tabloids is because tabloid articles during the Euros or World Cup are usually accompanied by charming allegations about how the natives of the country we're playing all smell, supported the Germans in the war or suffer from sexually transmitted disease. :facepalm:

I reckon it will be a tight match to night but I fancy England to nick it 2-1.

The papers no, but I bet our manager speaks a fair bit of Swedish, I think he's fluent in Italian and possibly French as well. For once we are not completly humililiated on the languages front.

As for the paper itself fair play but one should not tempt the footballing gods, football karma can be a bitch as those arrogant Bayern Munich fans found out after they held up that massive "Our city. Our Stadium. Our Trophy" banner shortly before losing to Chelsea in CL Final.

Also the joke mock-ups are innacurate in a couple of ways, firstly there is no vicious personal attack on the manager and secondly The Star is not a newspaper.

I'd say Roy knows the Swedes, having won the league 7 times there. 5 in a row at one point.

I'd say Roy knows the Swedes, having won the league 7 times there. 5 in a row at one point.
Whatever the results from now on, England have a manager who knows what he is doing. From what I can tell, this is in stark contrast to the past few, including Capello.

I like that we're changing our options up front to suit our opponents. Welbeck put in a great shift against the French, in a way that Rooney couldn't handle in 2006 against the Portuguese. Better than 'stick all the top prem lads in 4 4 2 and see what happens' every game.

All that talk about him not being able to handle 'star' players sounds a bit silly now, tbh. It's not as though England have a surfeit of stars anyhow. They've probably got three - one's suspended at the moment, another is the goalie who knows what he has to do anyway, and the other is Cole, who much as I think he's a bit of a cunt, also knows what to do without being told.

I don't think we should get hung up on the fact England have never beaten Sweden either. It's a bit of a statistical anomaly, that's all. Means little.

All that talk about him not being able to handle 'star' players sounds a bit silly now, tbh. It's not as though England have a surfeit of stars anyhow. They've probably got three - one's suspended at the moment, another is the goalie who knows what he has to do anyway, and the other is Cole, who much as I think he's a bit of a cunt, also knows what to do without being told.
Those are our actual stars, but I'd imagine there are a few more who perceive themselves to be stars, which is generally more of a problem.

Those are our actual starts, but I'd imagine there are a few more who perceive themselves to be stars, which is generally more of a problem.
True enough.

I'm probably going to put the mockers on him now, but I do think England have the best goalie in the tournament. His reaction save early against the French was in stark contrast to Given's failure to do the same last night, for instance. A good goalie in a team set up to counter-attack is crucial.

True enough.

I'm probably going to put the mockers on him now, but I do think England have the best goalie in the tournament. His reaction save early against the French was in stark contrast to Given's failure to do the same last night, for instance. A good goalie in a team set up to counter-attack is crucial.

He made more saves than any other keeper on Matchday 1.

/shit defence

He made more saves than any other keeper on Matchday 1.

/shit defence

Yeah but also England drop deep and defend the 18 yard line because of the lack of pace of Terry in particular, this means the oppo are more likely to try from range rather then get in behind us. Its a policy that means the opponents will have a lot of shots but few really good chances, it relies quite heavily on having a good keeper and not getting unlucky with too many 30 yard top corner screamers.

It also means that Parker and Gerrard have to cover fuck loads of miles and get cream crackered after 75 minutes, which remains a worry.

Yep, definitely not cocky about England, but reckon what Hodgson seems to be about is exactly what past sides with more obvious talent have lacked in attitude and approach. So I wish him well and think we'll prosper.

prolly because everyone knows that our tabs are staffed 100% by tossers and scumbags...

Spain made over 800 passes in last night's game. The only way England could make that many is if we enter Wayne Rooney on Mastermind. (@sickipediabot)
Why don't all teams adopt this passing strategy? (Brazil excluded).

poor Rooney (not literally of course)

Just getting to the q-finals would count as a decent performance for England.
quarters if what England should be doing anyway, just getting there would be just about meeting expectatins rather than 'decent'.
I don't think we should get hung up on the fact England have never beaten Sweden either. It's a bit of a statistical anomaly, that's all. Means little.
They have. Just not for quite a while.
It also means that Parker and Gerrard have to cover fuck loads of miles and get cream crackered after 75 minutes, which remains a worry.
Wont be as hot as the other night, so they shouldn't tire as much, or as quickly. Not likely to be playing as deep either, so shouldnt have quite as much ground to cover.

quarters if what England should be doing anyway, just getting there would be just about meeting expectatins rather than 'decent'.
"Should" by what standards? Any one of the teams in our group could beat us at the moment. That's not to say we couldn't beat them too, but I think it's far from certain that we'll qualify, even now.

If you mean "because of England's place in world football", well that's a different thing. Arguably with the money swilling around and the place football takes in our national culture, you'd think we'd be doing better, but... well, like I say different thing, other conversation.

Because of Englands ranking in world football, and the fact that they were top seeds in thr group. Because they have consistently bettered Sweden and Ukraines records over the last few years. Because they have better individual players.

It is all very close on all those scores (bar UEFA rankings, which are, of course, stupid) but England should go through first or second.

sweden havew conceded a lot of goals to headers from crosses in their last few games, so starting with Carroll makews sense. word is he scares them, which I can't see him doing to many

Back
Top Bottom