Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Sweden

Who's going to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What was lucky about it?

Oh yeah luck doesn't exist I'll amend.

England skillfully parked the bus because they are the superior football national and saw that they needn't waste energy running up to the French penalty area unless we got a free kick to send our Terry's and Lescott's up. It's a tourny we need to save the energy for more parking the bus against the might Swedes. ;)

England skillfully parked the bus because they are the superior football national and saw that they needn't waste energy running up to the French penalty area unless we got a free kick to send our Terry's and Lescott's up. It's a tourny we need to save the energy for more parking the bus against the might Swedes. ;)

Or maybe the manager has told them to keep it tight. The way I saw it, they played well. As well as you can when your pretty much an experimental team in a European Championships with a brand new manager. The played it cagey, they didn't really create many chances, but they defended well.

I know England have never beaten them afaik but I think they can do it tonight, don't know why.

To be fair France are a better team and were the better team against England. Quite a few of the French team would walk into England's team and their front 3 are of a different class then anything we could muster.

Sweden are not France, man for man they are not a great team and their entire ethos has been built around being a solid unit, it says a lot when your one star player is someone a lot of people don't rate at all. Anyone with a bit of football knowledge will realise that England have the better team, however they will also know that England consistently underperform at tournements. So whilst England should win it really could go either way.

One thing I think is a given is that its going to be a dull cagey affair. When it comes down to entertainment value we are in serious danger of stinking out the entire competition.

Yeh. The England game was the worst game so far in the whole tournament. They play like fucking chelsea. No wonder hodgson chose Terry over Rio

it says a lot when your one star player is someone a lot of people don't rate at all.
Most of those being people who only watch the Premier League and don't really understand what makes him good. I'm not his biggest fan, but this is the first season in over 10 years he hasn't won the national league. He's pretty good y'know.

Sweden are handy too, and I think "they're no France" can quite readily be countered with "neither are England". Sweden can score goals, and while we're only three games in we haven't scored more than one goal in a match during Hodgson's reign. Could easily be a draw, or we could quite conceivably lose it.

I'll be interested to see how the changes (Welbeck and Carroll up fron, Young on the left in place of AOC) will affect things, but there are still some big questions to be answered by this team.

Thank Shrewsbury for Hart, is all I can say.

I'll be interested to see how the changes (Welbeck and Carroll up fron, Young on the left in place of AOC) will affect things, but there are still some big questions to be answered by this team.

I'd say it's pretty obvious how Carroll up front will affect things. Lots of direct balls in to the big man. :rolleyes:

Still, he managed to be not shit for about a game and a half towards the end of the season so he's bound to do a good job.

Most of those being people who only watch the Premier League and don't really understand what makes him good. I'm not his biggest fan, but this is the first season in over 10 years he hasn't won the national league. He's pretty good y'know.

I agree with this. He might seem like a moany, lazy footballer but he has awesome ball control, great in the air, finishing ability in abundence, great vision. He's like Carroll but 10 times the player imo.

I'd say it's pretty obvious how Carroll up front will affect things. Lots of direct balls in to the big man. :rolleyes:

Still, he managed to be not shit for about a game and a half towards the end of the season so he's bound to do a good job.
Was reading in a couple of interesting articles in the Guardian today that something like 7 out of the last 8 goals Sweden have conceded have been headers, and that Young and Milner were practising putting in crosses in training. Hopefully that means we'll be playing with more width, rather than just punting it up to Carroll.

Also, I think Carroll is better at holding up the ball than Welbeck (though this is a very superficial judgement, I'll admit), so it might mean that he can serve as a more useful outball and relieve the pressure a bit from the two banks of four.

This is all rather speculative though... :hmm:

France is staying in Donetsk.. they must have 5 star facilities there somewhere
this is the England team we are talking about... their pampering levels are higher than any other players in the world... thats the main theory put about anyway.

You're right, but its because he never does it against English sides it the Champions League as well. Whether its just been bad luck or whether there is something about English style defending but when he plays against English sides / clubs he just looks a shadow of the player he does in Serie A.

Tonight could be his night, he was Sweden's best player against the Ukraine, my feeling is that his style will suit English defenders but who knows.

this is the England team we are talking about... their pampering levels are higher than any other players in the world... thats the main theory put about anyway.

Its already been said on this board but of the 8 teams who are playing in the Ukraine only 3 teams are acutally based there and 1 of them is the Ukraine themselves, its not just England who didnt fancy it.

Apparently he's well aware of his reputation in England, so could be interesting to see how he plays, and if he does score what his celebration is like.

2-0 England and Carroll first scorer is 50-1.

I'm looking forward to tonight. I'm torn about playing Milner or Ox on the right. I'd prefer Ox as he is a more attacking player but Milner is the better crosser of the ball. Also, I'd like Milner on the bench to come on for Parker/Gerrard as a pair of fresh legs as opposed to being moved into the centre after 75 mins or whatever.

Yeh. The England game was the worst game so far in the whole tournament. They play like fucking chelsea. No wonder hodgson chose Terry over Rio

article-0-132F4B34000005DC-955_468x316.jpg

Back
Top Bottom