Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Ukraine

Whos gonner be the Don at the Donbass?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
England have been so limited its unbelievable. Ukraine were all over England. England are the new Italy (Italy of old) btw but a much worse version. I wonder when they are going to start playing football.

Tip, tap, tip, tap, tip, tap, tip, tap.... you worried?

Ballotelli vs Rooney - its the battle of the loose cannons isn't it?

BTW- Ignore the odds from the bookmakers - England are only favourites because lost of bets are placed on England to win and the bookies are covering themselves. Sensible head says Italy are the more likely to win.

IT does annoy this constant carping that England are shit. Sure Germany and Spain are better - but its like slagging off Everton becasue they never get in the champions league. England are doing pretty well with what they've got - Sven and Capello had arguably better squads and they underperformed.

The next match could be Rooneys last chance to turn up for England though. Maybe scoring his sitter will relax him now - cos i dont think he deals well with the wieght of expectation and I'm suprsied that Hodgson (and others) have been pileing it on him. Sven did the same in 2006 and he couldn't handle it.

Good to see Gerrard turning it on though.

The next match could be Rooneys last chance to turn up for England though. Maybe scoring his sitter will relax him now - cos i dont think he deals well with the wieght of expectation

That's right. At 26 all he's got in the locker is a League Cup winners medal, 29 goals and 13 assists for England, 4 Premiership titles, Footballer of the year, the 4th ever highest scorer for Man Utd, Champion's League winner...imagine what he could have achieved if he didn't buckle?

That's right. At 26 all he's got in the locker is a League Cup winners medal, 29 goals and 13 assists for England, 4 Premiership titles, Footballer of the year, the 4th ever highest scorer for Man Utd, Champion's League winner...imagine what he could have achieved if he didn't buckle?

Well the (harldy controversial) point is that he hasn't translated his Man utd form into performances for England - other than the Euros in 2004. At the two subsequent world cups he was wound up and frustrated and - to be frank - acted like a cunt.

Simarlaly, Cantona never really did it for France either. Maybe its a Man United thing?

I love that you led with the League Cup winners medal there :D

I'm sure I heard it was after the group stages. Can't seem to find anything saying for sure.

Looking on the internet, the Daily Fail says group stages, the BBC quarter finals.

It's arguable he has nowhere near the pressure on him at Man Utd than he does for England. Much like Ronaldo at Real Madrid, at his club he's generally had a few star players to share the expectation and workload (although last season might be tricky to argue for... :hmm: ), whereas for his country everyone expects him to be as influential as Maradona in '86 (it was '86, right? All the tournaments pre-'94 are a bit of a mish-mash for me :oops:).

I meant to say before the game*, he rarely comes back after a break on form straight away. Hopefully last night got some of the cobwebs out and he'll turn up a bit more for Italy. What I would say was encouraging was at least he was getting the chances to miss, he wasn't totally AWOL and anonymous.

*honest, honest I did! :D

According to Wiki (I know, was trying to find the official UEFA rules but this came up first and I'm lazy :p):
Single yellow card cautions are erased at the conclusion of the quarter-finals, and are not carried over to the semi-finals (so that a player can only be suspended for the final by getting a red card in the semi-final).

For the record, the England players carrying yellow cards into the QF with Italy - Gerrard, Cole, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Milner and Young.

According to Wiki (I know, was trying to find the official UEFA rules but this came up first and I'm lazy :p):

For the record, the England players carrying yellow cards into the QF with Italy - Gerrard, Cole, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Milner and Young.

Cole and Gerrard would be the real worries here, the others have adequate replacements. Although Baines is a decent understudy for Cole.

mG8B8.jpg

Not to mention he wasn't fast enough to prevent a goal, we just got lucky with the ref / lino :D

Not sure you can lay that one at his door, no one else came close to getting it, I'm impressed he not only got to it considering how far back he started, but managed to hook it away and not into the roof of the net! p

Back
Top Bottom