Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Sweden

Who's going to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daley Thompson ftw btw hth

daley.jpg

There's always a big element of luck. But some systems put themselves in the position to benefit from that luck more often than others.

That said, I would think that half the Spanish bench would be in almost every other team's starting 11, even Germany's. Who else would leave Fabregas on the bench?

I'm not saying they wouldn't still be pretty good. But a midfield of Busquets-Xabi Alonso-Fabregas-Silva-Pedro, whilst excellent, is no better than Germany, Holland or France's really.

I enjoyed that game. Sweden seemed strangely resigned to their fate after the third goal went in, but it was entertaining stuff.

With both teams desperate for the win it was always going to be scrappy. We gave the ball away too cheaply but some crucial tackles in dangerous posistions. We switched off for their goals but the quality of our three goals were class.

Great tactical sub by Roy, Walcott and Wellbeck linked up perfectly to get the win.

Except for the goals. If Spain had scored that final goal, people would have been drooling over it. Starting with consolidating possession at the back, then sweeping forward. But I actually don't think Spain could score a goal like that. They don't do bursts of pace to beat defenders and whip in crosses, really.

This is because they are ompha loompah average height, whipping in a cross is generally going to land on the head of a defender. I do think they are guilty of wanting to walk it into the goal though.

Will Walcott start against Ukriane? He linked really well with Wellbeck in exactly the way that Milner didn't. With Rooney available again you have the basis for a really effective counter-attacking apporach - Theo's pace, Rooney's vision and control and Wellbeck's finishing.
Who plays on the left though? Young's been shite, not sure the consistantly medicore milner can play there. Downing? :eek: Midfield cupboard looking a bit bare - er ... bring back gareth barry?

Will Walcott start against Ukriane? He linked really well with Wellbeck in exactly the way that Milner didn't. With Rooney available again you have the basis for a really effective counter-attacking apporach - Theo's pace, Rooney's vision and control and Wellbeck's finishing.
Who plays on the left though? Young's been shite, not sure the consistantly medicore milner can play there. Downing? :eek: Midfield cupboard looking a bit bare - er ... bring back gareth barry?

Ox on the left :)

Maybe, but its likely to be our attacking line up with Henderson and Wiltshire behind them in Brazil in 2 years.

*wrings hands*

I know I shouldn't do this but with Walcott at his best, the emergence of Wellbeck and if Rooney is in form England have the potential to have quite a potent attack.

On paper, our potential team for Brazil does look good. But then we always do this, and it always goes wrong :)

Hart

Kyle Walker
Gary Cahill
Chris Smalling
Ryan Bertrand

Oxlade Chamberlain
Henderson
Wiltshire
Walcott

Rooney
Welbeck

Wilshere and cleverley I think actually. And I think it'll be rather good...

Ah, yeah. Forgot about Cleverley. Although I have a horrible feeling that Wiltshire wont actually play much football in the future. Rumours (and they are only rumours) about him actually having something wrong with his lower leg bones that have required him to have bone grafts (he's been out for ages with a stress fracture and the rumours are that he has a problem in both lower legs that leaves him susceptible to this, hence the bone grafts).

I hope I am wrong/misinformed, as he is a massive talent.

On paper, our potential team for Brazil does look good. But then we always do this, and it always goes wrong :)

Hart

Kyle Walker
Gary Cahill
Chris Smalling
Ryan Bertrand

Oxlade Chamberlain
Henderson
Wiltshire
Walcott

Rooney
Welbeck

That does look nice. Esepcially the absence of the name 'Terry'.

I haven't watched an England game for years but caught some of the last two. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. I can't recall an England team with so many players comfortable on the ball. I kept waiting for the panicked hoof up field or the speculative punt down the channels and saw neither.

Meanings and connotations change over time. There was a time when the St George's flag usually signified something nasty - something hostile towards immigrants. That's not the case now, and I'd think that it is its use during international football competitions that's changed that.

Personally, I can't stand it. Can't stand any flag-waving, especially in Britain. But you can't tell anything particular about the person waving it nowadays, and the fact that it can no longer be used as an aggressive racist signifier is a thoroughly good thing.

every other country waves flags - why can't we? Who cares what it signifies - it's a game of football.

i watched most of the second half of this in milton keynes bus station last night. got chatting to a group of african blokes who were pretty scathing about england's chances :D

in previous years ive got obsessed with the world cup/european championship, had a scoresheet and everything, this year i can't seem to be arsed. i don't think england will win, although ill be pleasantly surprised if they do. Sweden ffs we should have walked it.

The other day while driving to a SP meeting with my mate before the first game the commentators were saying stuff like "England need to play for a draw for the first game" like WTF? :mad: :D Part of our whole problem seems to be that we play for a draw ALL THE FUCKIN TIME !

Back
Top Bottom