Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England vs Ukraine

Whos gonner be the Don at the Donbass?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They are hard to beat but theyve also demonstrated the limitations of their rigid set up and lack of anyone in defence or midfield who is comfortable on the ball. The two banks of four were so rigid in defence that they looked like a training exercise and the movement of the ukraine between them paid off, a better team would have punished england.

Like France didn't?

If England were your club team you'd be pretty happy. Hardworking, hard to beat, decent potentcy in attack - and potential to do better. Italy wont be expecting a walkover.

England have been so limited its unbelievable. Ukraine were all over England. England are the new Italy (Italy of old) btw but a much worse version. I wonder when they are going to start playing football.

Game plan is to hold fast, create a few chances, and take them. Carroll would have landed that headed chance Rooney got in the first half. I'm none too bothered, as long as Gerrard sticks to good crossin and cuts out the hollywood from centre mid.

Yeah, I have to agree that Terry was good last night, much as it pains me to do so. When you need someone to battle in defence he's great. Can't remember which game it was, but he flung himself face first into the ground once to block a goal and that's what we needed last night - someone so epically dense that they'll sacrifice everything to stop a ball crossing a line. Rooney looked about a yard off everything, really out of sorts, there were times when I was even thinking that Carroll might have done better. He would've buried the header that Rooney missed first half. And that's not something you think much. Queens New Years honours list for the linesman, please.

Despite all that, we've won the group. Two wins and a draw. Fucking hell. :D

My retrospective regret is that Scott Parker hasn't been in England squads back to 2004. Did we really, REALLY spend all that time trying to fit Gerrard and Lampard together - at the expense of Paul Scholes' international career? REALLY?

:facepalm: @ Eriksson, Second Choice Steve, Fabio etc

Early England goal coming. Then close ranks a bit. Keep Rooney on for 20-30 minutes to give him more game time.

n4i16h.jpg

:D

Well disciplined win, finally we kept a clean sheet.

Rooney looks like he needs at least another half to get into the pace, hopefully he'll get it.

I can't believe people thought Terry had a good game.

He was caught on the wrong side of the attackers on several occasions, basically swung a boot without any thought for finding a team mate, and his lack of speed is one of the main reasons we're having to play this rigid, deep defense, inviting teams to come onto us (which will get us punished).

Not to mention he wasn't fast enough to prevent a goal, we just got lucky with the ref / lino :D

Carroll would have landed that headed chance Rooney got in the first half.
there were times when I was even thinking that Carroll might have done better. He would've buried the header that Rooney missed first half.
I've always been a fan and glad he's doing well, but I love how all of a sudden he'll bury every headed chance, despite having missed a fair few good such chances during Liverpool's season :D

Did notice how much he tracks back tho, he was running from box to box more like a centre mid rather than a centre forward!

It's not inconceivable we'll beat Italy, but it's going to be bloody difficult, given how many chances we afforded all three teams in the group. Just need one or two slip ups from our players and Italy could be out of sight.

Blatter's in for goal-line tech.. :D How about off-side ruling technology sepp?

10.19am: Well, well. Look what has just been spotted over on the Twitter. El presidente de Futbol, Sepp Blatter, has responded to Marko Devic's 15-feet-over-the-line-effort by Tweeting:
After last night's match #GLT is no longer an alternative but a necessity.

Another care-free enjoyable night watching England play, we're just so easy on the eye.

I thought that was our poorest performance yet, particuarly in the 1st half when we couldnt get or keep the ball, Gerrard looks like our only player who can put his foot on the ball and complete a pass, Rooney looked very rusty he should get better though.

The ball was clearly over the line for the Ukraine 'goal' so that was lucky but as others have pointed out there was a clear offside missed in the build-up and in fact the Ukraine chance just before that. It was a bad night for the officials as they missed a lot and in a game that barely had a bad tackle the ref issued loads of cards. The FA and the Premier League have been pushing for goal line technology for years and yet again FIFA have been showed to be the idiots they are, fucking Harry Potter stood on the line, what on earth is he there for? Blatter is a vile clown.

Still would have preferred to play Spain as I think our 'style' or rather lack of it frustraties their game more then any other team, I could have seen us sneak a lucky win against them. Sure we may get past Italy but we've got zero hope against the Germans in the semi's if we do.

Still all in all I said I'd be happy with getting out of the group which we've done, everything else now is a bonus.

I've always been a fan and glad he's doing well, but I love how all of a sudden he'll bury every headed chance, despite having missed a fair few good such chances during Liverpool's season :D

Did notice how much he tracks back tho, he was running from box to box more like a centre mid rather than a centre forward!

It's not inconceivable we'll beat Italy, but it's going to be bloody difficult, given how many chances we afforded all three teams in the group. Just need one or two slip ups from our players and Italy could be out of sight.
Anything from here is a bonus, tbh. Despite winning the group, our limitations are obvious and the Italians are favourites.

Blatter's in for goal-line tech.. :D How about off-side ruling technology sepp?
Thing is I thought it was over the line at the time, so fuck knows how the linesman missed it. I don't remember that much carping at the Germany goal, tbh, most sensible England fans accepted that we got deservedly shat on in that game.

The FA and the Premier League have been pushing for goal line technology for years and yet again FIFA have been showed to be the idiots they are, fucking Harry Potter stood on the line, what on earth is he there for? Blatter is a vile clown.

Kanda just started a thread about this subject. Blatter is now all for it. What a surprise.

Thing is I thought it was over the line at the time, so fuck knows how the linesman missed it. I don't remember that much carping at the Germany goal, tbh, most sensible England fans accepted that we got deservedly shat on in that game.

I was actually fearing for the safety of some of the England fans there - they seemed to be all mixed in together. I hope/guess the Ukranians all saw the offside on the big-screen to ease shit somewhat.

Thing is I thought it was over the line at the time, so fuck knows how the linesman missed it. .

It just looked in, the 9th official (or whatever number he is) right next to the post bottled it, that can be the only explaination.

Lo Siento. said:
Anything from here is a bonus, tbh. Despite winning the group, our limitations are obvious and the Italians are favourites.

I don't agree that they are favourites. Equally I am not confident that England will win.

Do agree that anything here is a bonus :) was hoping for QF and will do a wee if we get to the SF but there endeth my expectations :D

Of course it would be typical England to bury Italy with a 3/4 goal margin, then go out on penalties in a dire 0-0 SF :D

I was actually fearing for the safety of some of the England fans there - they seemed to be all mixed in together. I hope/guess the Ukranians all saw the offside on the big-screen to ease shit somewhat.

It wasnt England's fault though was it? The ball didnt bounce so there could be no way that Terry knew either way. Its FIFA's fault pure and simple.

Back
Top Bottom