Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England V Switzerland Saturday 6/7 @17:00

Just got a message from a (Danish) mate saying the Germans "fixed" the game against them.

What's that about?

From experience, German plod are armed & don’t like being fucked about!
Well that helps… my experience was more they don’t get involved unless they really need to. Half the trouble in England is when plod are as up for some pushing and shoving as the fans.

Sure we can all agree it would have been better if they'd lost all their games 4-3 though?:p
That's not the choice though is it? The choice is between losing 4-3 after an exciting attacking game with chances at both ends, and losing 1-0 after a tedious game of repeatedly passing the ball across the back four and then conceding a soft goal after 89 minutes. :p

That's not the choice though is it? The choice is between losing 4-3 after an exciting attacking game with chances at both ends, and losing 1-0 after a tedious game of repeatedly passing the ball across the back four and then conceding a soft goal after 89 minutes. :p

So many 1-0 defeats. :(

Missed the first half cos of needing to clean the kitchen, but decided I'd done an acceptable amount of housework to nip down a local to catch the second half, which seems to be where the action was anyway. Did have two Swiss supporters who celebrated in a very restrained way when they went up. Also got a bottle of beer to watch the final shootout which then got stupidly shaken up with the amount that it got lifted in the air and then lowered to a normal height.

They are very psychologically strong which compensates for them, overall, not really being a very good team with a not really very good manager. But still, the results are good. Enjoyed the game and thought the deserved it overall for sure.

I feel positive about the next game against NL anyway. They just need to develop a bit of ruthlessness and better attacking pressure.. more running and less slow tactical passing. If not I can see the Dutch maybe clinching it in 90 mins. Risky strategy forcing AET and penalties again...

I missed extra time and the penalties as was at a gig. they should play what’s his name on the left and just go for it yeah. That is my expert analysis.

Sounds like it was tense. I only saw the first half of extra time and then heard most of the second half on the radio. And then got the result in the interval.

Probably for the best.

The dreaded Noise has begun to leak in through the windows. Now Team England is basically nothing but Noise, a rolling maelstrom of steam and fume and inertia and podcast rage and Jude Bellingham’s imaginary balls. In a way, this is the logical end point. Bukayo Saka is at right-back, England appear to be playing an asymmetric 5-1-1-2-1, and Southgate's captain is quite literally coddled in his lap.

You can take your plans and schemes. You can take your non-negotiable principles of selection, all the data, all the video, all the years spent trundling down the M62 going to watch players who were never going to make it. Maybe, ultimately, it was all for nothing. Because England are in the semi-finals of Euro 2024 and literally no part of it makes the slightest sense.

from England lose control and embrace the chaos to rise from the canvas again | Jonathan Liew

Back
Top Bottom