Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Germany v Scotland, 14th June, 20:00 (ITV)

I haven't felt that good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland in 1978.

It really throws my sense of time out, that line. Like Trainspotting can't be that long ago can it, but then there's a character in it talking about stuff he remembers from 1978. Either it doesn't fit together or I'm way older than I think...

It really throws my sense of time out, that line. Like Trainspotting can't be that long ago can it, but then there's a character in it talking about stuff he remembers from 1978. Either it doesn't fit together or I'm way older than I think...
It was written in 1993. Renton is 26 in the book, so he would have been 11. It's doable. I can remember sporting moments and how I felt at the time from when I was 11.

Film was three years later, so maybe that would be pushing it.

That said, Irvine Welsh himself would have been 20 at the time. Did he get it right giving that line to Renton? Dunno.

What makes me feel old is that I read that very soon after it came out and so did loads of people I knew. I barely know what's being published nowadays, let alone read it. :(

My earliest football memory was the 1966 WC final, aged 5. Don't remember anything about the single most important game in English history, just being shushed by the blokes in the family who had gathered at me Nan's, as they had the biggest telly. :D

Like the royal wedding for me. We were on holiday in this log cabin camp centre. All the adults were crowded around the only TV in the place when I just wanted to play table tennis with the other kids. But everything had been shut down for the day. :(

Mine was watching Arsenal in a cup final with my dad. I was pretty young. They had a yellow and black kit and I called them the Bees (I didn't know who Brentford were). Not sure what my first World Cup was, probably Italia 90?

I haven't felt that good since Archie Gemmill scored against Holland in 1978.

I was 11 then. We had a headmaster who obviously disliked the Scots. In the same WC, Willie Johnston got sent home for failing a drugs test. We got an assembly lecture that strongly implied that Scottish people were cheats and that we shouldn't be anything like them. When Scotland got knocked out of the tournament the fans were very pissed-off and vocal in their disappointment. The same dickhead gave us another assembly talk about how the Scots were terrible supporters; that proper English people would support their team through good and bad times, and again, don't be like Scottish people.

Even at that age, most of us realised he was talking bollocks and there was speculation among a few of us that a Scotsman had shagged his wife.

I remember going to watch VS Rugby in the FA Vase final at Wembley in 1983. I was six. I mostly remember that on the motorway trip down to London the Halesowen fans did moonies at us VS fans out of their coach windows which I recall as the best and funniest thing I had experienced up to that point. We won.

It was written in 1993. Renton is 26 in the book, so he would have been 11. It's doable. I can remember sporting moments and how I felt at the time from when I was 11.

Film was three years later, so maybe that would be pushing it.

That said, Irvine Welsh himself would have been 20 at the time. Did he get it right giving that line to Renton? Dunno.

What makes me feel old is that I read that very soon after it came out and so did loads of people I knew. I barely know what's being published nowadays, let alone read it. :(

I don’t think that books by (and mainly for) smart-arse young men are being published and read and written about enthusiastically in newspapers at anything like the rate they were in the 90s.

Back
Top Bottom