Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England v Slovakia 5pm 30/6

I'm not convinced he'll change the starting line up all that much next time. Maybe one more change, plus the one he has to do for the suspended centre back.

I'm not convinced he'll change the starting line up all that much next time. Maybe one more change, plus the one he has to do for the suspended centre back.

Harry Kane needs to be able to drop deep. He's not going to burn through an offside trap. Neither Foden or Saka have been able to add enough pace.

I don't buy that it was good enough.

1. Slovakia are capable, but England aren't any kind of favorites if they can't put them away via football.

2. We need an attacking Cm left side then. Eze I reckon.

Releases Foden, accomodates Rice and Bellingham.

I remember seeing England lose to Portugal (I think) at Glastonasty. It was the first time they'd put the footy on the big screen at the Pyramid stage and postponed the music for the duration.
Loudest cheer I ever heard at Glastonbury when England scored.

Edit to add, just looked it up, it was the 2004 Euros in Portugal where we lost to the hosts on penalties.

It didn't spoil our weekend, we just went and watched the Chemical Brothers.

I was there, and I watched it with Guy Garvey!!

That is why Iove football. When that equaliser went in it was a moment of sheer joy. For a short time I forgot about all my troubles and just felt truly happy.
How did the first 94 minutes make you feel ? ;)

My proper football friends have just moaned through the whole tournament. Joy to pain ratio way out of wack.

What is the situation with yellow cards given and being carried over?
Eng picked up 3, Bellingham, Mainoo and Guehi
My understanding is they reset for the Semi, not quarters.

I didn't go to the local to watch it, but I can hear the local, and it was deathly quiet for most of the match - and that Bellingham goal would have earned them a fortune - had England lost, the pub would have emptied almost straight away, instead he scores that beautiful goal - and everyone gets a drink at the end of normal time - then Kane gets the winner and I could hear singing going on for what seemed like hours.

Up until the goal, I thought we were out and was thinking about all the stick the players and Southgate were going to get - that one moment of brilliance, stopped that (at least for a week?) and also ensured the pub did well and will do well at the q/f.

What is the situation with yellow cards given and being carried over?
Eng picked up 3, Bellingham, Mainoo and Guehi
My understanding is they reset for the Semi, not quarters.
I think they get wiped at the end of the quarter finals.

Edit: though, I suspect that if you have a yellow and then get another in the quarters, that still leads to a one match ban.

I think they get wiped at the end of the quarter finals.

Edit: though, I suspect that if you have a yellow and then get another in the quarters, that still leads to a one match ban.
its confusing...

and if Bellingham, Mainoo and/or Guehi played against Suisse and picked up a yellow during the game they'd get sent off immediately?

I didn't go to the local to watch it, but I can hear the local, and it was deathly quiet for most of the match - and that Bellingham goal would have earned them a fortune - had England lost, the pub would have emptied almost straight away, instead he scores that beautiful goal - and everyone gets a drink at the end of normal time - then Kane gets the winner and I could hear singing going on for what seemed like hours.

Up until the goal, I thought we were out and was thinking about all the stick the players and Southgate were going to get - that one moment of brilliance, stopped that (at least for a week?) and also ensured the pub did well and will do well at the q/f.
I was almost enjoying the frustration and just about had a Buddhist acceptance of England going out. Well, or at least a sense that I'd be able to enjoy the rest of the tournament...

its confusing...

and if Bellingham, Mainoo and/or Guehi played against Suisse and picked up a yellow during the game they'd get sent off immediately?
No, just banned for the semis.

Actually, I'll just have to check whether it is single or two accumulated cards that get wiped at the end of the 1/4s...

No, just banned for the semis.

Actually, I'll just have to check whether it is single or two accumulated cards that get wiped at the end of the 1/4s...
This implies all cards acquired by the final whistle in 1/4s are wiped:
Euro 2024 yellow card rules

A one-match suspension will be served after the accumulation of two yellow cards.

Yellow cards picked up in the group stage, last-16 and quarter-finals are wiped before the semi-finals.

Therefore, the only way you can be suspended for the final is if you are sent off in the semi-final.

Ah okay ...so its only Guehi out as he was already on a card from an earlier game.... Bellingham and Mainoo could pick up two yellow cards against the Swiss and still play in the semis. If they picked up one in the Swiss game they would stay on the field. Thats not too bad a result overall.

Guehi is suspended for 1 game (vs Switzerland)

Bellingham, Mainoo, Foden, Trippier and Gallagher all have 1 yellow; if they're booked vs Switzerland they would miss the semi-final (should we get there).

Ah okay ...so its only Guehi out as he was already on a card from an earlier game.... Bellingham and Mainoo could pick up two yellow cards against the Swiss and still play in the semis. If they picked up one in the Swiss game they would stay on the field. Thats not too bad a result overall.
Yes, think so! Though they'd get sent off for the remainder of the game if they got 2 cards within the 1/4 (your 2nd sentence)

Must admit, I end up going through these mental gymnastics every tournament and can never get it fixed in my head. :oops:

Anyone getting sent off misses the semi (if, if, if!).

Suspensions aren't wiped clean, only the cumulative yellow card collection. It's a rule that exists now to prevent anyone missing the final through accumulation of yellow cards. Gazza in 1990, Roy Keane (Champions League, 99), that kind of thing.

He does seem a bit of a tosser. I know he's young. But his goal celebration with 'it was always me' and then yeh, the grabbing of the crotch towards the other side's bench. No.

Anyway, UEFA 'investigating'. Would be a shame if they ban him. But then again England aren't gonna win this anyway and it might teach him a lesson.

Back
Top Bottom