Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

England Cricket 2014 (Test, ODI, T20)

They dropped their best player quite some time ago. He's currently sunning himself playing 20/20 in the Carribbean or somewhere.
Best player in the last match, I meant - Tredwell.

Pietersen's a spent force, imo. Has had an awful year in the various domestic t20 competitions.

Eng now 16-2. :facepalm:

Go ahead and sign him up for nz. Just pay him loads and stroke his ego and watch your team morale plummet.
They dropped their best player quite some time ago. He's currently sunning himself playing 20/20 in the Carribbean or somewhere.

Absolutely - aim high. If you're going to lose why be conservative in your approach? Was just sticking the proviso in, that sometimes batting first on a green top with overcast conditions you may want to dig in a little. There's also been a complaint that the number of matches played on major grounds (rather than outgrounds) has meant pitches being over used, are slow and low and make it harder to score.
It's the inflexibility of the approach that's telling, imo. The idea that you have worked out what a good score is before the match has started through statistical analysis of past matches. I do agree with Swann - that's a recipe for defeat.

You think Pieterson is the missing piece of the puzzle? Lol.

Test team morale is fine. We just don't have our strategy and selection right for the short form. It may be that at our best we aren't going to win. Fair enough. But we need to at least find our best.

I don't see the point of putting him as the one day captain. He doesn't need one day cricket and one day cricket doesn't need him.

I was gonna say Root should be made captain. But they just flashed up his stats on the tv here. Averaging 14 in his last 5 games.

Someone in England must be able to play cricket?

I'd like England to be good at one day cricket. I'd like them to win the world cup. But as long as we win test matches, I don't really care too much.

Anyone got experience of buying tickets for England away games? I'm in Sri Lanka in December when England play a ODI. No idea how to go about getting tickets though!

He ran himself out in quite a bizarre way according to the commentary (although I haven't actually seen it). Just set off when Dhoni more or less had the ball in his hands.:confused:
Ta. That's the added edge that lancs coaching has given him. I shall have to hunt that down when i get a chance.

edit:to give some background,he was always getting run out daftly for somerset-him and hildreth were a bit of a comedy pair.

edit): 2 Oh yeah, come home jos.

Eoin Morgan comes good. Team looked nearer the team that should be playing the 50 over game. Oh and good to see Bopara coming good too.. :cool:

Eoin Morgan comes good. Team looked nearer the team that should be playing the 50 over game. Oh and good to see Bopara coming good too.. :cool:
Nature of 2020 that one batsman coming off can change a match.

I agree, though, that nowadays, your 50 overs team should look more like your 2020 team than your test team. Bopara is now one of England's best one day players. Weird that they dropped him. Very weird. In fact, it made the selectors look like idiots.

So KP's book being heavily trailed in the Telegraph today with an interview and a feed (i guess as they read through it)

it's not particularly pretty, esp the stuff about Prior and his clique (if it's true, instinctively I don't generally believe KP for the probably ridiculous reason Piers Morgan is such a champion of his and he seems to have been drummed out of most teams he's played for)

anyway

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...he-truth-about-Englands-bullying-culture.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...ersen-book-and-autobiography-latest-news.html

Still hoping to play Test cricket again

:D righto Kev

Well, like Strauss and Prior and god knows how many other saffas in that side, he prolly could play test cricket again, for his actual country. Not playing as a mercenary that is. He'd have to push aside Duminy mind you, no easy task.

I recall meeting KP, in the company of some of the other players he's castigating here a few years ago at a Man U game. He was the cuntiest of the lot, but jimmy anderson wasn't exactly a charmer either.

What happens to people once they hit these heights? I'm sure they were nice enough lads once.

Anyway, KP, return to the IPL and leave it, would be my advice.

One of his quotes there... "I hate mediocrity". He's married to a backing singer from liberty x :D

So KP's book being heavily trailed in the Telegraph today with an interview and a feed (i guess as they read through it)

it's not particularly pretty, esp the stuff about Prior and his clique (if it's true, instinctively I don't generally believe KP for the probably ridiculous reason Piers Morgan is such a champion of his and he seems to have been drummed out of most teams he's played for)

anyway

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...he-truth-about-Englands-bullying-culture.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...ersen-book-and-autobiography-latest-news.html

:D righto Kev
No interest in reading it but from the discussion around it, nobody's coming out of this particularly well. Tremlett has tweeted what appears to be endorsement of KP's version, Ponting is weighing in with his views on an internal bullying culture in the England side etc. It's really not pretty and unsurprising that it fell apart so rapidly if there's weight in half these stories.

Tremlett has tweeted what appears to be endorsement of KP's version, Ponting is weighing in with his views on an internal bullying culture in the England side etc. It's really not pretty and unsurprising that it fell apart so rapidly if there's weight in half these stories.

Ajmal Shahzad as well. Even aside from the bullying accusations there's a consistent pattern of a core of 'insiders' dominating the England team and people who don't fit not getting in. Pietersen is undoubtedly a bit of a dick but it's noticeable that quite a few of the players who've been around the fringes and then discarded have had relatively positive things to say about him compared to the main players.

Ajmal Shahzad as well. Even aside from the bullying accusations there's a consistent pattern of a core of 'insiders' dominating the England team and people who don't fit not getting in. Pietersen is undoubtedly a bit of a dick but it's noticeable that quite a few of the players who've been around the fringes and then discarded have had relatively positive things to say about him compared to the main players.
Though perhaps not James Taylor

Compton's face didn't fit and he was jettisoned pretty quickly. I can remember stories from the 70s/80s of newcomers not being welcomed by the old hands. Not much changes and it's pretty terrible for the team ethos really.

Back
Top Bottom