Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do angry vegans turn you against going vegan?

Is this the start of a cunning and completely unforeseen pincer movement that ends up with the devastating question: "So you'd rather your ill mother die - YES DIE I TELL YOU - than have her cured as a result of animal testing?"
No. What I'm interested is the idea that we all have a moral line in the sand and everyone's is different. Kinda like the idea that by being an atheist you're the same as a Christian, you've just rejected one more of the thousands of gods available.

I always love the assumption made by some that unless Vegans live a lifestyle that is unfailingly 100% consistent with their beliefs, then they must be shouted down and publicly dismissed as FRAUDS.

This process invariably starts with lots of leading questions, with plenty of hypothetical situations being presented in the quest to prove them to be FILTHY HYPOCRITES.

I always love the assumption made by some that unless Vegans live a lifestyle that is unfailingly 100% consistent with their beliefs, then they must be shouted down and publicly dismissed as FRAUDS.

This process invariably starts with lots of leading questions, with plenty of hypothetical situations being presented in the quest to prove them to be FILTHY HYPOCRITES.
On this thread, it has generally speaking been the vegans presenting the moral absolutes, including JeffR's pretty unequivocal line that if you care about other animals you must be vegan. We're allowed to investigate those lines, I would have thought, once they have been opened.

If you assume the moral high ground, you have to be prepared to defend it.

On this thread, it has generally speaking been the vegans presenting the moral absolutes, including JeffR's pretty unequivocal line that if you care about other animals you must be vegan. We're allowed to investigate those lines, I would have thought, once they have been opened.
I'm sure we'll be in for a dazzlingly original line of enquiry.

Which precisely no one on this thread has done. Unlike some who have been equating meat eating with murder, which is really silly.

I've never killed a cow, I just eat 'em.

All your terms, not mine.

Reasonable response. Chocolate can be a bit sketchy. Some companies say 100% vegan others are a bit more vague... "we think it is".
If they had been polite it wouldn't have been a problem, but unfortunately they were quite aggressive about it from they start.

I have encountered one or two hard-nosed "animal rights" types that totally denounce medical testing for any reason and made it clear any debate with them on the matter would be futile. Otherwise everyone else I met either accept it as a necessary evil or something they acknowledge has benefits even if they would rather see it rendered obsolete by alternatives. A lot of the animal testing abolitionists tend to be swayed by pesudoscience and anti-scientific beliefs too.

This thread could do with people differentiating between vegans (as in people who have a wide variety of opinion on issues that just happen to abstain from consuming animal products) and hardcore "animal liberation" activists, who are generally heavily criticised by people here and beyond, be they vegan or otherwise.

I'm sure we'll be in for a dazzlingly original line of enquiry.
Well I'll start you off if you like. I have deep misgivings about animal testing and think it is something we should be moving away from wherever possible. That said, a lot of people are alive today because of past animal testing, including both of my siblings. There is no denying the benefits that have come from medical testing on animals, in the case of diabetes dogs, and that, at the time of the testing, there was no alternative way to obtain that knowledge.

I look at the animal testing that goes on today, and much of it I struggle to justify, even where the results are interesting. At the very least, I would like far stringent rules to be in place forcing scientists to justify their research. However, that said, much of the most valuable research and breakthroughs have come on the back of pretty speculative stuff or studies aimed at furthering knowledge without a direct practical goal. I don't have a good answer.

And then there's the whole question of what their beliefs may be. Just because someone is vegan doesn't mean you can predict why they are vegan. There's a growing number who aren't doing it for animal welfare, but instead are doing it for their health, or for environmental reasons. For instance, if you're a vegan for health reasons, there's no reason why you should eschew leather. If you're vegan for environmental reasons, you might also exclude almond milk because of its environmental footprint.

I have encountered one or two hard-nosed "animal rights" types that totally denounce medical testing for any reason and made it clear any debate with them on the matter would be futile. Otherwise everyone else I met either accept it as a necessary evil or something they acknowledge has benefits even if they would rather see it rendered obsolete by alternatives. A lot of the animal testing abolitionists tend to be swayed by pesudoscience and anti-scientific beliefs too.

This thread could do with people differentiating between vegans (as in people who have a wide variety of opinion on issues that just happen to abstain from consuming animal products) and hardcore "animal liberation" activists, who are generally heavily criticised by people here and beyond, be they vegan or otherwise.
I would rather see it rendered obsolete by alternatives, but I'm also very well aware that for all kinds of scientific questions there really aren't any good alternatives. I'm conflicted on the question as to whether or not the ends justifies the means. It's very much a debate that should be held publicly, though. imo this debate is not held often enough nor publicly enough. Unfortunately, it is a brave vivisectionist who talks publicly about their work. They're likely to get shit shovelled through their doors, or worse.

All your terms, not mine.
Was I quoting you or referring to you in any way in that post? Why, no, I wasn't so there's no need for you to think it's all about you.

It was a general point based on the same fucking arguments I've heard from decades: (sneering) "Oh, so you're a vegetarian, eh.....?"

And I believe that you are deluded if you think there is a much wider will to achieve this. If not eating meat makes you feel better about yourself, that's great, but don't kid yourself that you're making any difference or that you're going to change anything, because if the above is your aim, you're pissing into the wind.
Yeah, just keep quiet and don't bother to do what you believe to be right. It's a good thing that the great historical figures, the Gandhis, Mandelas, Rosa Parkes', MLK's, Malcom X's, Steve Bikos, Ken Saro-Wiwa's Marcus Garveys of this world, who fought against major injustice didn't have that kind of defeatist mentality. I don't claim to be anywhere close to being in their league, and I'm not sure I'd be prepared to put my life on the line in defence of my principles, however on this particular subject I'm not just going to keep quiet and not express my opinion just because over sensitive meat eaters are upset and easily offended when confronted with the reality of their choices. Whether or not there is a "wider will" or not, it doesn't change the principle of the matter.

Far better, imo, to devote your energy to something difficult but achievable, like convincing people to eat less mass produced meat and switch to higher welfare. But that's just my opinion. You of course, are free to do as you please.:)
I don't know how many times I'm going to have to repeat this, but once again, I'm not on a mission to convince anybody of anything. I express my point of view and listen to other views for reference and perspective. I don't get into a hissy fit because somebody has a different view or disagrees with me. If you think that you're not deluded and that you're not "pissing in the wind" and you want to try and convince people to eat less mass produced meat then good luck to you. That is not my position and I'll speak out against ALL unnecessary killing. In my opinion it is the mindset that thinks it's ok to kill animals for food when we don't really need to do so that is driving the whole meat eating industry, that creates the cheap meat and massive profits for those large food companies who are able to get the economies of scale working for them. Whether or not you agree with me is not really any of my business, that's up to you and you can believe whatever you want, but it's not going to stop me from saying what I believe to be true.

Read to me like you were commenting directly on the post directly before your one, by bees. Read to bees like that as well.
Amazingly, I am pretty good at using the quote function after all these years, and am adept at including anyone's comments I wish to refer to.

So no, you are wrong. If I wanted to direct my comments at Bees, I would have done so.

They not though. That's the entire point.

This arrogant view that if people care at all for animals they'd be vegan is pure bollocks. I care for my dog, other people's pets, and animals in general, right up to the point that they get eaten. Jeff, and I assume you, just care about them enough not to eat them. It's not a complex conundrum.

I think it's pretty arrogant to think that you have to have meat with every meal and that if you can't afford that then it's ok to buy shit factory farmed stuff instead of not buying it and spending the money on better meat but just not as often.

As you say, social conditioning plays a big part, and that is what needs to be challenged. The idea that veganism/vegetarianism is just a middle class privilege for a start, when infact a meat free or meat reduced diet can be a lot cheaper

Yeah, just keep quiet and don't bother to do what you believe to be right. It's a good thing that the great historical figures, the Gandhis, Mandelas, Rosa Parkes', MLK's, Malcom X's, Steve Bikos, Ken Saro-Wiwa's Marcus Garveys of this world, who fought against major injustice didn't have that kind of defeatist mentality. I don't claim to be anywhere close to being in their league, and I'm not sure I'd be prepared to put my life on the line in defence of my principles, however on this particular subject I'm not just going to keep quiet and not express my opinion just because over sensitive meat eaters are upset and easily offended when confronted with the reality of their choices. Whether or not there is a "wider will" or not, it doesn't change the principle of the matter..
This post oooozes condescension. All the figures you name-check here fought against injustice against humans. You slip from them to talk about animal welfare in a way that implies strongly that you're really talking about animal rights. There are all kinds of problems with this move, not least the problem that the vast majority of other people don't share your view that human rights should be extended to other sentient animals or that this is the right framework in which to cast the debate.

The fight against imperialism and racism was a fight for the equal recognition and treatment of equals. How does that argument extend to other animals? How is it even relevant? Whatever one's views on the ethics of eating meat, this seems badly wrongheaded to me.

Yeah, just keep quiet and don't bother to do what you believe to be right.
Not at all. As I keep repeating, it's your prerogative to do and say whatever you like. In my opinion it's a waste of time and effort but it clearly makes you feel better about yourself, which is important. So knock yourself out! :)

Last edited:
I think it's pretty arrogant to think that you have to have meat with every meal and that if you can't afford that then it's ok to buy shit factory farmed stuff instead of not buying it and spending the money on better meat but just not as often.

As you say, social conditioning plays a big part, and that is what needs to be challenged. The idea that veganism/vegetarianism is just a middle class privilege for a start, when infact a meat free or meat reduced diet can be a lot cheaper
I'd agree with this, though I suspect that you'd seek to go the meat free route whilst I'd encourage the reduced industrial meat/high welfare approach.

This post oooozes condescension. All the figures you name-check here fought against injustice against humans. You slip from them to talk about animal welfare in a way that implies strongly that you're really talking about animal rights. There are all kinds of problems with this move, not least the problem that the vast majority of other people don't share your view that human rights should be extended to other sentient animals or that this is the right framework in which to cast the debate.
...and? So what? If you don't believe that sentient beings have rights that are worth speaking out for then that's your call. The underlying principle is the same, it is only your insistence that other sentient animals are somehow "lesser beings" and so don't deserve the right not to be killed and eaten just for the taste that drives your indifference to their plight. I make no apology for mentioning those historical figures, again if you're not happy with it you don't have to respond.

The fight against imperialism and racism was a fight for the equal recognition and treatment of equals. How does that argument extend to other animals? How is it even relevant? Whatever one's views on the ethics of eating meat, this seems badly wrongheaded to me.
As I said above, in my opinion there is no difference in principle. I view the animals right to life as equal to that of the human right to life and to not be killed unnecessarily. Of course some folks who love to taste of meat will object to that comparison, but I'm quite happy with it.

As I said above, in my opinion there is no difference in principle. I view the animals right to life as equal to that of the human right to life and to not be killed unnecessarily. Of course some folks who love to taste of meat will object to that comparison, but I'm quite happy with it.
For clarity, which animals are you talking about here? Where is your line drawn?

To pick up on what bees said, I agree with him that everyone has to draw a line somewhere on this in terms of which animals we think deserve protection and which we do not, even you, unless you're advocating the right to life of a mosquito. Would you object to grasshopper farming, for instance? Serious question - they're animals that are farmed as food in some parts of the world.

littlebabyjesus Raising arguments for more ethical meat production with idialogicaly committed vegans is pointless. To them killing animaals for consumption is wrong. That's it. Hense cuddling pigs comments.

At least that's consisstant. Daft nonsense about cooking aside.

I'd agree with this, though I suspect that you'd seek to go the meat free route whilst I'd encourage the reduced industrial meat/high welfare approach.

I'd encourage people to think about it and go with their conscience. I wouldn't encourage a reduction in industrial meat, but an end to it. I think that that's what most people's conscience would tell them anyway. If someone wants to cut out meat all together then great, but if they are going to eat it then at the very least they should have the decency never to eat products from the factory farmed side of it.

littlebabyjesus Raising arguments for more ethical meat production with idialogicaly committed vegans is pointless. To them killing animaals for consumption is wrong. That's it. Hense cuddling pigs comments.

At least that's consisstant. Daft nonsense about cooking aside.
You're right. There is no common ground, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom