Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Democracy: crap/not crap

Oh right, what definition of democracy are you using, then?
Unfortunately we have to have registration to counter cheating.

Don't use your right to register then you can't really complain about not getting a vote.

2 million expats who'll probably be more directly impacted by the vote than anyone who did have the vote.

ditto anyone under the age of 18.
I'd argue under 18's wouldn't understand the issues but then apparently 52% of voters didn't either.

2 million expats who'll probably be more directly impacted by the vote than anyone who did have the vote.

ditto anyone under the age of 18.
You mean the 2 million expats that haven't lived in the UK for over 15 years?

Really this is what some people are complaining about - votes for people not living in a country, not paying taxes, for over a decade and a half. It's absurd that people like me are entitled to vote at all not that the cutoff isn't generous enough.

I'd argue under 18's wouldn't understand the issues but then apparently 52% of voters didn't either.
I'd think that a lot of 16-18 year olds would likely be more clued up than many over 18s, which is probably at least partly why support for staying in the EU was / is so high in that age group.

You mean the 2 million expats that haven't lived in the UK for over 15 years?

Really this is what some people are complaining about - votes for people not living in a country, not paying taxes, for over a decade and a half. It's absurd that people like me are entitled to vote at all not that the cutoff isn't generous enough.
if the result affects them and they hold a british passport then they should have had a vote.

how do you mean 'special treatment'?

They were just asking for equal say, which they should have had as British people with British passports, British pensions etc. This wasn't a local council election.

Do you not see the weakness in your argument?

"They" don't deserve equal anything because they don't live in the UK aymore.

They gave up being British when they moved to Spain

If they'd had the vote the result would have been very close, with somewhere around 70-80% support for staying in the EU among the 2 million or so affected ex pats. Add in 16-18 year olds as well and the result would probably have gone the other way.

always been mystified as to how long term ex pats get a vote- not that our 'democracy' is one etc (spookyfrank missed a particular annoyance of mine in his list- talking it out, filibustering. Literaly bullshit).
But even by the rules of liberal democracy such as they are its odd imo. I've not looked it up but my theory is it comes from empire days when people would be all over the shop but still reside in england or the kingdoms. I dunno. Might have that wrog but why else? its not logical captain

If they'd had the vote the result would have been very close, with somewhere around 70-80% support for staying in the EU among the 2 million or so affected ex pats. Add in 16-18 year olds as well and the result would probably have gone the other way.
Yes,we all know how the vote would've gone if the children had a vote. But they didn't and we've all got to get over that.

And there we are. Hey we should give the vote to these people because it might have led to Remain winning.

Poor, poor Cliff Richard, Sean Connery etc, denied their democratic rights :(

Incidentally if the EU was undemocratic because expats couldn't vote, what the Scottish Independence Referendum, that must be even worse. Scots in England and Wales weren't given their say!

Do you not see the weakness in your argument?

"They" don't deserve equal anything because they don't live in the UK aymore.

They gave up being British when they moved to Spain
do you take the same line on EU migrants to the UK? They all become brits once they've lived here for a bit?

Oddly then EU citizens who lived in the UK were also not allowed to vote in the referendum, so the result was biased because neither of the 2 groups who'd benefited the most from freedom of movement in the EU were allowed to vote.

Incidentally if the EU was undemocratic because expats couldn't vote, what the Scottish Independence Referendum, that must be even worse. Scots in England and Wales weren't given their say!
I thought that was wrong too, there'll be comments to that affect somewhere on here.

eta but at least in that referendum they allowed pretty much anyone who lived in Scotland to vote

always been mystified as to how long term ex pats get a vote- not that our 'democracy' is one etc (spookyfrank missed a particular annoyance of mine in his list- talking it out, filibustering. Literaly bullshit).
But even by the rules of liberal democracy such as they are its odd imo. I've not looked it up but my theory is it comes from empire days when people would be all over the shop but still reside in england or the kingdoms. I dunno. Might have that wrog but why else? its not logical captain
It's fucking ridiculous. We've got a liberal who screamed about the racism of Leave voters arguing that £10 poms who came out here 50 years ago (and their descendants) should get a vote simply because they are still British. Must be that good nationalism as opposed to the bad nationalism of Trump and Leave voters

do you take the same line on EU migrants to the UK? They all become brits once they've lived here for a bit?

Oddly then EU citizens who lived in the UK were also not allowed to vote in the referendum, so the result was biased because neither of the 2 groups who'd benefited the most from freedom of movement in the EU were allowed to vote.

To be honest, I don't give too much of a fuck either way.

At the time of the referendum there were an estimated 3.3M (non U.K.) EU citizens resident in the U.K. Of those, only a small number of commonwealth (Cypriot & Maltese) citizens were "entitled" to vote. It goes without saying that, had they been able to do so, it would have been in their interest to have voted remain.
What was the winning margin?

To be honest, I don't give too much of a fuck either way.
ah the cop out answer.

Come on, you can surely manage a proper answer there aren't that many options.

1. Expats get to vote in the elections of their home country (country they're from) only
  2. Expats get to vote in the elections of the country they're living in only
  3. Expats get to vote in elections in both countries.
  4. Expats don't get to vote at all.
  5. A combination of the above options depending on length of out of their home country.

Back
Top Bottom