Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crappy concrete crisis

School science prep rooms have all sorts of shit that nobody knows how it got there or what anyone was planning to do with it. One school I worked at, they'd somehow ended up with a large quantity of white phosphorus. That stuff the Israelis use for war crimes. The poor lab tech was telling me how she'd had to get on the 'full hurt locker' hazardous chemical gear and spend several days carefully neutralising a tiny bit at a time using copper sulphate.
We had some sort of phosphorous when I did a level chemistry but don't think it was the Willie Peter war crimes are made of

And which gender is experiencing gender-based violence?
not prepared to entertain the fevered fantasises of reactionary toilet related whataboutery while ignoring that same sex bullying happens a lot in 'traditional' school toilets vs those where circulation spaces are more open o r in proprely complaint gender neutral toilets where the single facilities contain a toilet and basin

Don’t get our hopes up!

You will have to scroll down a bit to find the item

Not really new schools, just patching the existing ones so they don't fall down for another 30 years. Maybe.

Call me utopian but can't we hope for something a bit more?

Yes. I myself hope for much much more. But that doesn’t stop the barley adequate being the enemy of the perfect.

But then I know my politics are far far worse than many of the posters on here who’s ideology is pure as the driven snow.

Don’t get our hopes up!
I thought that when Notre Dame burned. I was watching and thinking, why couldn’t this be the Houses of Parliament? It’s a horrible building anyway. Grubby and sinister - so at least it’s not false advertising, but it’s not attractive.

not prepared to entertain the fevered fantasises of reactionary toilet related whataboutery while ignoring that same sex bullying happens a lot in 'traditional' school toilets vs those where circulation spaces are more open o r in proprely complaint gender neutral toilets where the single facilities contain a toilet and basin
I get what you're saying, but having been publicly humiliated in a very public urinal on the school playground in my early teens I am not sure it is the door part that is the problem rather than the bullies themselves

It's all very well talking about moving kids to other schools and using sports halls for them, but for a start that won't fit that many kids, and it will be far too noisy to have multiple classes in one echoey room, and also those rooms are needed for sport and drama classes, exams and, often lunches. They're not just sitting there unused except for assemblies (which are one thing that can mostly be dropped).

Are we saying that normal reinforced concrete doesn't fail if leaks get to it by the way?

No, but with normal concrete you can tell it's failing a fair bit in advance, so can make repairs. With this one you don't know until it falls on you.

I'm also remembering a school I worked at that had lots of pre-fabs, and on especially hot or cold days the headteacher would STILL come round and enforce uniform rules. The school would shut if the temperature was over a certain level, but the thermostat was in the atrium of the main building, which had excellent heating and aircon - it was completely irrelevant to the temperatures in those prefabs. 30 kids in a small room massively raises the temperature too in comparison to a large and airy atrium with very few people in it at any time.

I would break the rules and let the kids take off blazers/loosen ties/wear scarves and hats but it was still pretty unbearable.

We also couldn't have interactive whiteboards or any computers because the pre-fabs were so easy to break into, but teachers were chastised for not using technology in their lesson plans. Plus they had no adaptations for disabilities - prefabs usually have awkward steps and narrow doors - so a kid with a broken leg in a cast and brace was carried into the pre-fab by other kids because the alternative was being sent to the in-school exclusion unit - and they were a very long way from all the toilet blocks.

They're really not suitable for schooling. I know a lot of us "coped" with them in the 80s, but we've probably forgotten just how shit they were.

The schools I went to, from 77-91, were all in dreadful conditions, even back then.
We had unheated portakabins at middle school - we learned French in them and changed there after PE and I remember not being able to do the buttons up on my shirt on several occasions as it was so cold.
At high school, the sixth form block was a prefabricated two story building that was basically a shed with an iron frame that had been built as a temporary measure - it was only meant to be there for a few months but it was there for about 20 years. Probably full of asbestos too.
A couple of classrooms in the main buildings had ivy coming through the brickwork.
So this poor maintenance and lack of funds is nothing new unfortunately

They're really not suitable for schooling. I know a lot of us "coped" with them in the 80s, but we've probably forgotten just how shit they were.
I get that you used the word in a way indicating you might not really have coped, but Coping is an important life skill that I feel has been left to wither in the tidal wave of excuses that modern parents use for not doing shit that requires actually coping ....unless supplied with a mental health support package and neat label to excuse their child's behaviour which of course has nothing to do with them being a crap parent.

The crap priorities that have allowed this concrete crisis are indeed crap, but I expect Large portions of the feckless parent cadre so prevalent in this country now have another excuse to not get their keep kids to school

School attendance is already a crisis much larger than the concrete debacle and its time people stopped making excuses like "we both work" when its obvious that if you both work then having your kids in school for much of the time is actually more practical than keeping them home as well as right for the child.

P.S.
Children with mild anxiety better off in school, says Chris Whitty

Back
Top Bottom