Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How is the cost of living crisis affecting you?

You'll have to eat cake.
it's brioche not cake ffs
think i might sell my record collection whilst prices are high
cant take it with you
:(
got some vinyls I don't like to offload but I dread dealing with vinyl collectors :-(

Just realised yesterday that as I didn't get a payment during the one month assesment period from UC I am not eligible for the cost of living grant, I wonder how many people in much worse financial situation than me hit that particular bump.
e2a: a payment reduced to zero in that assesment period takes away the entitlement to the grant.

Yeah this is what I've got, an old student account with a £950 overdraft on, they send me a letter which was really convoluted and didn't say anything but was basically like, if you asked for that overdraft nowadays we wouldn't give it to you but the way you use it is manageable so we're not going to take it away... I'm about £600 into it and I'm wondering if maybe I should try and stay in it so they don't try and reduce it or something. Because the way the letter was worded was so weird it sort of felt like that was the reason why. Idk.
Might go overdrawn for a tenner or £300 and see if they reconsider! I'll definitely check the available overdraft limit before hitting that button. They could be drumming up business (as the more peeps get overdrawn over the overdraft limit the more money they make) so a funny sounding letter.
Here's the reddit link

it's brioche not cake ffs

got some vinyls I don't like to offload but I dread dealing with vinyl collectors :-(

Just realised yesterday that as I didn't get a payment during the one month assesment period from UC I am not eligible for the cost of living grant, I wonder how many people in much worse financial situation than me hit that particular bump.
e2a: a payment reduced to zero in that assesment period takes away the entitlement to the grant.
The way I understood it is if you were entitled to a payment in the assessment period then you will get the grant when they have sorted the assessment out.

Rhodium is what they're after. Ten times more valuable than platinum, apparently
Some cunt tried to nick the cat off mine a few years ago, there's a big plastic undershield to protect the bottom of the car and they had managed to loosen it but not get it completely off. I wondered what the rattling was and looked underneath and the bloody thing was hanging half off. It was a bit bent out of shape but the garage straightened it and fitted some new bolts. It ending up costing me £75 though I imagine that a new cat would cost a lot more.

Some cunt tried to nick the cat off mine a few years ago, there's a big plastic undershield to protect the bottom of the car and they had managed to loosen it but not get it completely off. I wondered what the rattling was and looked underneath and the bloody thing was hanging half off. It was a bit bent out of shape but the garage straightened it and fitted some new bolts. It ending up costing me £75 though I imagine that a new cat would cost a lot more.

A whole lot more. I scrapped an older car because one needed replacing and it just wasn't economical.

Tis a foolish man indeed who upsets his wife. :eek: :D
She has two of these cards "You Are His/Her/Their Father" which means she has decided what course of action I should follow and the rarer but ultimate trump of "I Am His/Her/Their Mother" which means this particular matter is settled from now up until the heat death of the Universe.
The Q household is a constitutional patriarchy where I hold the title of Head of The Household but do not wield executive power.

She has two of these cards "You Are His/Her/Their Father" which means she has decided what course of action I should follow and the rarer but ultimate trump of "I Am His/Her/Their Mother" which means this particular matter is settled from now up until the heat death of the Universe.
The Q household is a constitutional patriarchy where I hold the title of Head of The Household but do not wield executive power.

That's the norm surely? :D

Yeah, that’s not so much the cost of living thing as “alternative capitalism”, though.

We haven’t seem that particular thing here yet.

20k doesn’t seem that much for a store called “Ultra Beauty” - sounds like lot of small, light expensive items would be available.

In L.A. last year there was about 100k worth robbed from a Nordstrom in less than a minute.

They got $400K from a Louis Vuitton store in Ohio:

I wouldn't doubt if many stores inflate their loss figures for insurance purposes.

They got $400K from a Louis Vuitton store in Ohio:

I wouldn't doubt if many stores inflate their loss figures for insurance purposes.

That is pretty impressive. From what I gather, lots of stores are underinsured for sudden losses of this kind, but I doubt Louis Vuitton is among them. There's a Hugo Boss store not far from me and I got some dirty looks for laughing at the prices. So no idea what $400k of goods would actually look like.

Probably nets them about $80k when they come to moving it on.

That is pretty impressive. From what I gather, lots of stores are underinsured for sudden losses of this kind, but I doubt Louis Vuitton is among them. There's a Hugo Boss store not far from me and I got some dirty looks for laughing at the prices. So no idea what $400k of goods would actually look like.

Probably nets them about $80k when they come to moving it on.

I'm pretty sure they're reporting retail price losses, not wholesale. Low end LV bags retail for $3 to $5K. Higher end ones go for much more.

(I just tried to access their website and evidently you need a special pass to get onto it. I'm too low class to even look at their website).

I'm pretty sure they're reporting retail price losses, not wholesale. Low end LV bags retail for $3 to $5K. Higher end ones go for much more.

(I just tried to access their website and evidently you need a special pass to get onto it. I'm too low class to even look at their website).

Well, yeah, because that's what they'd get from selling this Veblen crap.

There’s an argument for stating losses differently but certain parties would def not like it.

Possibly including the thieves tbf.

think i might sell my record collection whilst prices are high
cant take it with you
:(

Please don’t do this unless there is absolutely no other alternative.
It seems to me that you are one of those people for whom music is as essential as food. I can’t imagine living in a house where I don’t have books and vinyl, they’re almost like the fabric of my life. I’ve always assumed it’s the same for you.

Please don’t do this unless there is absolutely no other alternative.
It seems to me that you are one of those people for whom music is as essential as food. I can’t imagine living in a house where I don’t have books and vinyl, they’re almost like the fabric of my life. I’ve always assumed it’s the same for you.
thanks story
tbh im over vinyl anyway, all digital now, but its still hard to actually part with them

Spotted cornish pasties going for nearly 6 quid at waterloo station today. And people were buying them.
I still remain convinced that the high preponderance of contactless payments help to insulate people from the stark reality of the rip-off prices they're paying. Handing over the hard-earned cash seems to make transactions far more real to me...or maybe I'm just a tight-wadded old curmudgeon?

You wanna try buying the fuckers in Cornwall, they come with a multi generational mortgage
Once hitched to West Cornwall with a mate & tent and when we were in Pendeen had the most amazing pasties from the local pastie shop (?) and when we went in, (circa 1980), the proprietor checked in a ledger (kid you not) to see if there were enough spares from the day's bake for Geevor to let us buy. In my 'rose-tinted" memory they were amazing, but I can't remember how much they were...can't have been that dear if we got them every day we were there!

I still remain convinced that the high preponderance of contactless payments help to insulate people from the stark reality of the rip-off prices they're paying. Handing over the hard-earned cash seems to make transactions far more real to me...

I don't think this is even in question. It's been a major factor in credit card debt for decades.

In other news a 'new, improved burger' is now on sale at Liverpool airport for £12.99. Nobody was buying them.

Back
Top Bottom