Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How is the cost of living crisis affecting you?

I still remain convinced that the high preponderance of contactless payments help to insulate people from the stark reality of the rip-off prices they're paying. Handing over the hard-earned cash seems to make transactions far more real to me...or maybe I'm just a tight-wadded old curmudgeon?
I tapped my phone twice at football today. Didn't even listen to the price they said.

Here’s a behavioural marketing agency that agrees with you:

We get our weekly shop at tesco. When they're done scanning your stuff you beep your clubcard and the total price goes down by a few quid. Which makes you think you've beaten the system somehow. Except they forced you to get the clubcard in the first place by making all their discount prices clubcard only, and the 'reduced' price is exactly what you'd have been paying before they invented that little scam. Only it's actually higher because the prices on nearly everything have gone up. Even though I know that, I still get fooled a little bit every time I beep the clubcard and the price goes down. What I don't do is dig out a receipt from the same load of shopping I bought a year ago and see how much more I'm actually paying this year. Because I don't really want to know, what with there being fuck all I can do about it.

I don't even know what the limit on contactless payments is now. A hundred quid? Which is up from 20 or 25 two years ago. For years I'd refused to even get a contactless card because it makes it too easy to pay for stuff without thinking about it, but what with the pandemic there wasn't much choice. The spending limit was a small consolation. But now that's basically gone, and I doubt the bank will even let you have a non-contactless card any more.

I have side hustles, and the easy ones all add up to at least one big free shop, or one full tank of fuel every few months.
So taking part in surveys, consultations etc.. and being reimbursed by a voucher to spend at most stores. I usually give these to a couple of my kids who are doing it tougher than me.

I also always have cash on me to avoid that card tap disconnect

I have side hustles, and the easy ones all add up to at least one big free shop, or one full tank of fuel every few months.
So taking part in surveys, consultations etc.. and being reimbursed by a voucher to spend at most stores. I usually give these to a couple of my kids who are doing it tougher than me.

I also always have cash on me to avoid that card tap disconnect

First time I heard the term “side hustle” was talking to my nephew recently.

He was buying and selling trainers online and making a decent few bob.

I carry cash for the same reason as you.

I still remain convinced that the high preponderance of contactless payments help to insulate people from the stark reality of the rip-off prices they're paying. Handing over the hard-earned cash seems to make transactions far more real to me...or maybe I'm just a tight-wadded old curmudgeon?

Back when I was a loose-wadded young curmudgeon with my first student account with debit and credit cards, I managed to fuck my finances seven ways from sunday by not being able to keep track of where I'd spent it. It eventually made me something of a miserly fuck who keeps a running total of hourly and daily expenditure in his head, but seemingly the habit I developed of taking out the available money for the week, and watching it slowly fritter away down to nothing to make it more "real", is coming back in to fashion for some through sheer desperation.

I know many people - some who can afford to not care, some who can't - who literally can't tell me five seconds after a contactless transaction how much they just paid. I've also refused a contactless card for precisely this reason.

We get our weekly shop at tesco. When they're done scanning your stuff you beep your clubcard and the total price goes down by a few quid. Which makes you think you've beaten the system somehow. Except they forced you to get the clubcard in the first place by making all their discount prices clubcard only, and the 'reduced' price is exactly what you'd have been paying before they invented that little scam. Only it's actually higher because the prices on nearly everything have gone up. Even though I know that, I still get fooled a little bit every time I beep the clubcard and the price goes down. What I don't do is dig out a receipt from the same load of shopping I bought a year ago and see how much more I'm actually paying this year. Because I don't really want to know, what with there being fuck all I can do about it.

I don't even know what the limit on contactless payments is now. A hundred quid? Which is up from 20 or 25 two years ago. For years I'd refused to even get a contactless card because it makes it too easy to pay for stuff without thinking about it, but what with the pandemic there wasn't much choice. The spending limit was a small consolation. But now that's basically gone, and I doubt the bank will even let you have a non-contactless card any more.

I was in my first tesco for (literally) years recently (not for any snobby reasons - there just aren't any around here or anywhere else I frequent) and was rather surprised to see that all of the prominently-displayed discounts were "clubcard only". When did that little scam start rearing it's head?

Because of the above miserly fuckitude^^, I sadly do usually remember the prices I paid for X staple a year ago or so (and if I can't there's usually several strata of fossilised receipts at the bottom of my rucksack) and it's why I've considered the "official" inflation figures to be largely bullshit for as long as I can remember paying attention.

I used to calculate my supermarket shopping as £1 per item. It was roughly accurate, to about 3 or 4 quid on either side. These days I’m counting at £2 per item and seeing it always be higher by up to a fiver. I’ll be counting each item at £3 pretty soon I reckon.

Last edited:
Some cunt tried to nick the cat off mine a few years ago, there's a big plastic undershield to protect the bottom of the car and they had managed to loosen it but not get it completely off. I wondered what the rattling was and looked underneath and the bloody thing was hanging half off. It was a bit bent out of shape but the garage straightened it and fitted some new bolts. It ending up costing me £75 though I imagine that a new cat would cost a lot more.

Has one stolen from my Toyota about four years ago. £750 for a generic part as there was a six week waiting list for Toyota ones. I had to pay the excess.

And I imagine the wankers who actually cut it off only got about £20 odd.

I use my Tesco club card to enable me to buy stuff for the food bank. BOGOF, multipack savings etc. I can ill afford to give stuff away, but also I know how it feels to receive gifts from the food bank myself so I contribute as often as I can. Sometimes if I can’t afford to buy anything in number I stretch to one really decent treat thing or a posh soup. I avoid the cheapest stuff because I found some of it almost inedible when it was what I received. Trying to make a bad bland sweetened stodgy soup into a meal I wanted to eat was a miserable experience. Some tinned macaroni cheese was so bad I had to throw it away, just couldn’t eat it. What a waste. Felt very bad about that. I did get quite creative though. I don’t like porridge so I used the sachets of instant oats to bulk out a soup made with bruised mushy tomatoes. I was so touched and pleased to receive some bubble bath. I don’t normally use it but it obliged me to treat myself to a simple indulgence when I was feeling pretty fucking shitty. The sense of support from kind strangers, the comradeship of everyone leaning in to help each other in the face of vicious Tory policy was a real tonic too. Very humbling, the whole thing.

I've been getting the knock down, evening price sultana bread all winter, and an assortment of dishes from op shops. I make a great bread and butter pudding. I've been making about 6 big ones a day, it takes less than half an hour to make 6, and an hour to cook them all. Then I drive down the beach and deliver them when they're still hot, to people sleeping rough. people started to give me the dishes back after a bit too :)

costs me approx $1 each to make

they do, you just have to request it.

Yes this also pisses me off as well with the enforced clubcard. I don't do most of my shopping there, but do enough I have to have the bloody app on my phone.

And yet it's weird.....where i work (medium sized supermarket) in a very large town with a very depressed economy and the area where we are is a low wage, 'hard' area, people are spending like crazy....we are busy as fuck, miles up on last year and click and collect (online parcels) is mental

Have noticed a few things go up, but I’m pretty much cushioned from it so far.
I’m not great with money and still haven’t learned to budget and I’m nearly 50. I don’t remember prices or compare them much and think like a rich man when I’m not (eh not thinking a rise of a few pence in one product will make a difference, when it clearly will as it all adds up). This all needs to change, obv.
The biggest impact this will have on me is at work - the service is already at breaking point and I’m dreading the autumn/winter.

This makes for cheery reading:

Towards the end we have this from Johnson:

View attachment 336338

Translation: 'not my problem, not that I ever considered anything to be my problem in the first place'
I am shocked, shocked I tell you to discover that Johnson has only ever thought about himself.

You mean you asked your bank for non-contactless and got a contactless? :eek:

Most banks don't actually offer non-contactless cards these days. Last I looked, Lloyds and Halifax were contactless-only but did allow people to reduce the limit on their card to £30 bu jumping through some hoops.

There's very little incentive for them to cater to this sort of stuff though. More contactless payments tends to mean more money out of the account and more overdraft charges for them, which in an age of unprecedentedly low interest rates is one of the best money spinners they have. Back in 2020 the FCA banned punitive fees from hitting your overdraft, so most banks just put the APR on overdrafts to crazy levels (IIRC mine is ~40%).

I got my final electricity bill today before moving out. Just for myself in a 1 bed flat for 1 month's usage in July of my fridge freezer, TV and streaming box, shower every other day, light laptop use and phone charge came to £135!! :eek: and that's without any heating or cooling systems on and no washing machine as it's a free communal one.

My usage for January alone in a cold snap was £100. Fuck heating that place in winter now, there's no insulation or double glazing as it's an old Georgian house converted to flats. I'm glad to be out of there.

why do people object to using contactless? i must be missing summat as it's well handy
When you are shitters in a nightclub waving your card at an undiagnosed unsighted bill

When you lose/have card stolen and someone rolls it up to its pin limit

Apparently you can be RFID’d ( don’t know how)

Most banks don't actually offer non-contactless cards these days. Last I looked, Lloyds and Halifax were contactless-only but did allow people to reduce the limit on their card to £30 bu jumping through some hoops.

There's very little incentive for them to cater to this sort of stuff though. More contactless payments tends to mean more money out of the account and more overdraft charges for them, which in an age of unprecedentedly low interest rates is one of the best money spinners they have. Back in 2020 the FCA banned punitive fees from hitting your overdraft, so most banks just put the APR on overdrafts to crazy levels (IIRC mine is ~40%).

Last time it came round to change card I
swapped it out for a non-contactless by talking to the bank but, yeah, maybe they had a bunch of old card templates left over and they have run out now, or changed branding.

My non-contactless card runs out in a few months.

I mostly swapped it out last time because I got stung by a fraud in the early days of
chip & pin, so wanted to see how things went for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom