Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crappy concrete crisis

The last Labour government had a comprehensive 20 year school refurbishment and rebuilding plan called “Schools For The Future”. Micheal Gove cancelled that in 2010 when the Tories got into power, preferring to piss money up the wall on his ideological Free Schools scheme. Doing that added billions to the repair bill, in the same was as saving money by not changing your car’s oil or getting it serviced regularly will cost you more in the long run.

Edit: Digging a bit more into it, Gove at least had the sense - many years later - to call it his "biggest mistake" in office. Which goes along with my thinking that he's an odious toad, but not quite as aggressively stupid as some of his other cabinet play-mates.
I did note that aerated concrete reared it's head at his local hospital Frimley Park earlier this year

Not really new schools, just patching the existing ones so they don't fall down for another 30 years. Maybe.

Call me utopian but can't we hope for something a bit more?

TBH most new-build schools are pretty awful. And they're still built on the cheap so you still get leaky roofs, bad wiring etc.

There's also a sort of ideological architecture with new academies. Toilet blocks with no doors. Classrooms with windows set so high you can't see out of them when you're sitting down. Usually it's one giant building rather than a more open site with multiple buildings for different subjects. This is supposed to reduce travel time between classes but actually just creates horrible bottlenecks and crushes all over the place which are scary for the younger kids and can be a nightmare for kids with sensory issues or physical disabilities.

Big, central glass atriums are also popular. They're great for amplifying the effect of heatwaves, while also being horrible for energy efficiency in winter.

I did note that aerated concrete reared it's head at his local hospital Frimley Park earlier this year

It's not really his local though, it's local to his constituency, Chelsea and Westminster is his local, seeing as the carpetbagging, coke addled cunt doesn't really have anything to do with his constituency....

TBH most new-build schools are pretty awful. And they're still built on the cheap so you still get leaky roofs, bad wiring etc.

There's also a sort of ideological architecture with new academies. Toilet blocks with no doors. Classrooms with windows set so high you can't see out of them when you're sitting down. Usually it's one giant building rather than a more open site with multiple buildings for different subjects. This is supposed to reduce travel time between classes but actually just creates horrible bottlenecks and crushes all over the place which are scary for the younger kids and can be a nightmare for kids with sensory issues or physical disabilities.

Big, central glass atriums are also popular. They're great for amplifying the effect of heatwaves, while also being horrible for energy efficiency in winter.
New build everything building related seemly weirdly crap. They knocked down my old school with lots of space and building that didn't fall down and built houses then moved a mile up the road and built things that had cracks in as the student arrived.

My brother got a new build house, spent 5 years chasing the snag list, mps and news involved. Every single mate I had in trades said stay well clear of any of them. I'm in a mundic place and it at least hasn't fallen down in over 70 years lol (is the best grade available tho which helps).

It's possible they're a bit busy running around trying to work out how to teach chemistry lessons in the function room of the Dog and Duck.
OK connect to the vpn, then get your sodium out. No not out of the jar Jenkins it's reactive. Yes with water and air. What do you mean you are going to the bathroom?

So Jenkins has blown the toilet up and whoever that is in the bath is thankfully uninjured and calling 999. Please switch off your video Jenkins if you can, what remains of your torso is disturbing the other students and HR are worried someone may see a nipple

Just realized that my second (luxury modern concrete rather than old corrugated iron) privvy likely had this concrete in the roof. I hadn't realized but it had been leaking and a large section fell out - without warning
:mad: leaving rusted rebar.

I've locked the stable door and bitumened the roof then added flashing tape then bitumened it on the top again. It's a bugger to repair inside though - cement keeps falling off.

Are we saying that normal reinforced concrete doesn't fail if leaks get to it by the way?
RAAC has a particuarly failure mode becasue of the aeration - 'normal' reinforced concrete tends to show cracks and spalling when the rebar rusts, RAAC doesn't necessarily as the rebar's expansion to rust can be taken but the bubbly interior of RAAC panel until the rebar rust through and it all ' fall down go boom' time

Last edited:
OK connect to the vpn, then get your sodium out. No not out of the jar Jenkins it's reactive. Yes with water and air. What do you mean you are going to the bathroom?

So Jenkins has blown the toilet up and whoever that is in the bath is thankfully uninjured and calling 999. Please switch off your video Jenkins if you can, what remains of your torso is disturbing the other students.

We're not allowed to let students handle elemental sodium FWIW.

'toilet blocks with no doors' classic Selfservative hyperbole

what they don;t necessarily have is a door into a room which contaisn the cubicles and sinks and is haven for bullies and substance misuse

They still allowed bunson burners or magnesium? We had some kid nick a reel of magnesium, shove it in a coke can then set it off on the bus. That was, interesting.

Also figured no matter what they wouldn't send stuff to remote students that was flammable lol. Or inflammable what a country.

5% of school bodies haven't replied. So 95% have which sounds pretty good to me. I wonder what she's done with all those results. I suspect she's sat on her backside and done fuck all.
Probably, but I dont think she cares what you or I suspect...In fact I dont think any Tory MP gives a flying fuck about even pretending to care about anyone who's kids arent in Posh Private schools and have at least One Range rover to take them there

'toilet blocks with no doors' classic Selfservative hyperbole

what they don;t necessarily have is a door into a room which contaisn the cubicles and sinks and is haven for bullies and substance misuse

So rather than there being a toilet block with no door, there's more a sort of toilet block that doesn't have a door on it.

But if we're talking classic bullshit hyperbole, the 'haven for bullies and substance abuse' thing is a great example. It's exactly this kind of bullshit that's used as a pretext for taking away students' privacy and dignity.

Last edited:
Well sadly seen work place bullying in educational estibishments b4 and they'll dunking things in their tea they'd never allow in a packed lunch
Teabagging is not an acceptable way to produce workplace drinks. Also Kyle will be off for 2 weeks as a result of a medical issue.

So rather than there being a toilet block with no door, there's more a sort of toilet block that doesn't have a door on it.

But if we're talking classic bullshit hyperbole, the 'haven for bullies and substance abuse' thing is a great example. Reminds me of the 'knife-addled rape sheds' from The Thick of It.
once again Urbanites talking over the victims of of gender based violence

After I left school one of my friends got a job in charge of the chemistry store there. It seems they found a big jar of hydrogen cyanide - fuck knows why they had it - and rather than doing what young me would have done and pour it down the sink like we'd poured all manner of other nasty chemicals (i particularly remember ethanoyl chloride) they got the proper disposal people in. I've always wondered since if public health would have been harmed by a couple of kilos of poison down the sink. I don't think so

After I left school one of my friends got a job in charge of the chemistry store there. It seems they found a big jar of hydrogen cyanide - fuck knows why they had it - and rather than doing what young me would have done and pour it down the sink like we'd poured all manner of other nasty chemicals (i particularly remember ethanoyl chloride) they got the proper disposal people in. I've always wondered since if public health would have been harmed by a couple of kilos of poison down the sink. I don't think so

School science prep rooms have all sorts of shit that nobody knows how it got there or what anyone was planning to do with it. One school I worked at, they'd somehow ended up with a large quantity of white phosphorus. That stuff the Israelis use for war crimes. The poor lab tech was telling me how she'd had to get on the 'full hurt locker' hazardous chemical gear and spend several days carefully neutralising a tiny bit at a time using copper sulphate.

Back
Top Bottom