Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How is the cost of living crisis affecting you?

read somewhere that shoplifting stats have gone up 19% in the past year.
e2a: can't find that particular one but here is an article from May.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, we've seen shoplifting crews that go into a store and just ransack it. For some reason they like Ultra Beauty stores. They hit one near me for $20,000 one week and went back the next and hit again. Cleaned out all the high-end perfume. It was probably always an organized business, but some of the footage on Youtube is breathtaking in the efficiency of it. Large corporations could do time and motion studies to improve their efficency.

Last edited:
I don't know about the UK, but in the US, we've seen shoplifting crews that go into a store and just ransack it. For some reason they like Ultra Beauty stores. They hit one near me for $20,000 one week and went back the next and hit again. Cleaned out all the high-end perfume. It was probably always an organized business, but some of the footage on Youtube is breathtaking in the efficiency of it. Large corporations could do time and motion studies to improve their efficency.

Yeah, that’s not so much the cost of living thing as “alternative capitalism”, though.

We haven’t seem that particular thing here yet.

20k doesn’t seem that much for a store called “Ultra Beauty” - sounds like lot of small, light expensive items would be available.

In L.A. last year there was about 100k worth robbed from a Nordstrom in less than a minute.

Last edited:
We just got notification that our rent is going up by 15% and that the nursery that our wee fella is going to attend is putting up it’s fees too.

My wife is doing some GCSE marking for extra cash, while I’m back on the bus for work which means three hours of my day going to and from work.

Feels very bleak, right now.

15% on rent is fucking shit. We were 'lucky' enough to renew our contract with a mere 5% increase last month.

I've also got a new job for September that I can get to on my bike, so that saves me a few quid on petrol.

Food shopping though, we're paying more for less every week.

they don't call it organised crime for nothing

You'd need some organisation though. You can't just turn up at a scrapyard with some mystery metal and walk off with cash money any more.
There'll be a market for catalytic converters though, they're proper expensive? Not everyone knows how to access "markets" for back-of-a-lorry-type solutions though I guess.

There'll be a market for catalytic converters though, they're proper expensive? Not everyone knows how to access "markets" for back-of-a-lorry-type solutions though I guess.

You don’t really need to know that bit though. You just go to a garage and happen to end up with a nicked converter.

They have platinum in them. They're sold for the metal, not as usable parts.

This is turning into quite a derail.

Fair enough. Seemed plausible the converters themselves would be re-sold, as with so many items that are just nicked because they are expensive.

Maybe the dropping price of platinum will put the brakes on it.

Bank wrote that there removing £500 overdraft because I haven't used it, not just me , someone was complaining about it on Reddit too!
Which bank if you don't mind me asking? I've had a weirdly cryptic letter from Barclays about mine recently

The velux windows for my extension went up £50 each (15%), then they discontinued them and started stocking a new line, but an additional £50 more expensive. Only thing is that the manufacturer's code is the same as the discontinued ones. Cheeky fuckers.

Mum is 83 this year and I want to get a cake for her birthday. I phoned a place we used pre covid..etc..
I asked for a 10 inch round vanilla sponge with lemon curd and cream filling and butter cream top and sides. With Happy birthday Mum on top.
€35.
😳
Nearly collapsed.

I'd make a cake only for the fact that I have medical stuff going on that week and scans the day before the birthday.

Which brings me to medical costs
Gp used charge €10 for blood tests.
My last blood test was last week and I was asked for €20.

The obvious ones are petrol...food prices...electricity costs...all gone off the charts. I'm dreading going on half pay and trr. I dont know how I will manage this winter.

Which bank if you don't mind me asking? I've had a weirdly cryptic letter from Barclays about mine recently

If I saw the same Reddit post it was Barclays.

Hit my overdraft today paying in Asda and my card was declined. I had money to transfer but was a rude awakening. I've had a few big costs recently but can't escape I'm spending more then I'm earning. Which isn't hard.

Yeah i had a student barclays account which had a £500 interest free overdraft...have kept that account ever since as a life line with a tenner in it, but now overdraft has been scrapped its shit.

as to spending more than earning, uff yeah, just been doing my "banking", as in looking to try and work out where its all going....nothing stands out, its just everything

Yeah i had a student barclays account which had a £500 interest free overdraft...have kept that account ever since as a life line with a tenner in it, but now overdraft has been scrapped its shit.

as to spending more than earning, uff yeah, just been doing my "banking", as in looking to try and work out where its all going....nothing stands out, its just everything

I took a pay cut to move jobs. I think it will work out as there is potential career progression, but seems more brutal then I expected with everything going on.

As you say nothing stands out. But I do need to spend less in Asda!

Yeah this is what I've got, an old student account with a £950 overdraft on, they send me a letter which was really convoluted and didn't say anything but was basically like, if you asked for that overdraft nowadays we wouldn't give it to you but the way you use it is manageable so we're not going to take it away... I'm about £600 into it and I'm wondering if maybe I should try and stay in it so they don't try and reduce it or something. Because the way the letter was worded was so weird it sort of felt like that was the reason why. Idk.

Back
Top Bottom