Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cricket World Cup 2023

It's debatable tbh. No way the Dutch beat India, so two wins in their last two games should be enough for England whatever the result today, while one win could be enough.
They wont beat Pakistan and I wouldn't venture much on them beating Netherlands. If Bangladesh win today England have to win one and rely on run rate, and theres always the possibility of a wash out and only getting one point.

The net run rate.

IF Bangladesh win this they will (presumably) get beat by Aus. So only 4 points for them. Then Eng have to beat Ned. Ned also lose to India. 4 points for everyone.

Net run rate. Eng have a chance of catching SL still.

All pretty academic really. Eng will probably lose to Ned, let alone Pakistan. Who they can't afford to be thrashed by.

Obviously SL have to lose to NZ too in this scenario.

The net run rate.

IF Bangladesh win this they will (presumably) get beat by Aus. So only 4 points for them. Then Eng have to beat Ned. Ned also lose to India. 4 points for everyone.

Net run rate. Eng have a chance of catching SL still.

All pretty academic really. Eng will probably lose to Ned, let alone Pakistan. Who they can't afford to be thrashed by.
At 248 with six overs to go, I wouldn't be dismissing SL's chances.

At 248 with six overs to go, I wouldn't be dismissing SL's chances.
High-scoring pitch, though, with the infamous dew due.

They shouldn't even be playing in Delhi imo. The pollution is appalling, a real killer. Players with asthma were advised not to train. I pity the people who live there.

SL did ok to get to 279, but basically ran out of wickets in the 49th over. So you could say that that Mathews dismissal cost them one over at the death.

Feels short, but after England, Bangladesh have been the next-worst batting lineup.

That's gonna always be known as a 'Shakib' isn't it

If the guy was truly taking the piss strolling out smoking a cigar reading cricinfo on his phone then fine yes, appeal. But breaking his helmet strap before his first ball? Appalling. I would hope the Bangla management had a word with him when he left the field.

He might not quite realise what he's done. That's going to live with him.

I can see an apology of some kind coming at some point. 'If I could do it again, I wouldn't appeal', that sort of thing.

What Ian Bishop is saying is even more disgraceful. Apparently Shakib was asked twice by the umpires if he wanted to withdraw the appeal and both times said no.

I can see an apology of some kind coming at some point. 'If I could do it again, I wouldn't appeal', that sort of thing.

I'm wondering what kind of duck it was.

Not a golden, given no ball was faced. Diamond could apply, given no balls were faced, but the fact that he was not even present changes it for me again.

I'm going to call it a platinum.

I can see him doubling down. "Why do we have laws of the game if they don't apply? Sorry, what does 'spirit' mean in Bengali? I don't know this word."

This is very bad for SL now. Defeat is bad for them, but heavy defeat is very bad for them. Last couple of games have been disastrous.

I can see him doubling down. "Why do we have laws of the game if they don't apply? Sorry, what does 'spirit' mean in Bengali? I don't know this word."
Maybe. McCullum apologised for running out Murali when he was celebrating Sangakkara's hundred. It took him a few years before he did it.

This is very bad for SL now. Defeat is bad for them, but heavy defeat is very bad for them. Last couple of games have been disastrous.
This is bad for England now, still likely defeat for SL, but making a go of it so NRR wont take a huge hit!

This is bad for England now, still likely defeat for SL, but making a go of it so NRR wont take a huge hit!
Nine overs. That's a sizeable swing. We'll see how it looks in a minute.

ETA:

Bangladesh now just ahead of SL.

England don't just need to beat the Netherlands to get out of the bottom two next game. They need to marmalise them.

Could all come down to who loses by the smallest margins in the last game. :D :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom