Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cricket World Cup 2023

Inauspicious start but then again I really don't fancy us this time. Don't think Moeen should be coming in at 5 above Buttler.

India will win it.

An empty stadium. And another 2 month tournament. During monsoon, I don't know what the the organisers of these things are thinking.

Well played NZ though.

What a bizarre way to start a World Cup. On a lazy Thursday afternoon. With the hosts nowhere to be seen. Is the ICC the worst organising body in world sport?

And come up with such crazy schemes to host 2030 World Cup on three continents and six countries...
Anyway - back to the cricket...

50 over cricket is dead in India. This reminds me so much of the 2007 world cup in the Caribbean which I went to for the whole gruelling two months. The cameramen were so desperate to find supporters to focus on that me and my mates were regularly being beamed around the world much to my mum's amusement.The stadiums were empty. They overpriced the tickets, the booze and even banned musical instruments which in the Windies is sacrilege.

btw i l love that the next footy one is spread across such a range of places. im gonna be doing an epic road trip.

My word Sri Lanka are taking a shellacking here!

De Kock's hitting boundaries for a laugh. I reckon South Africa might get close to 400.

Loads of dropped catches and some of the worst bowling of the tournament so far. Check-out Pathirana's action ... WTF? :D

One of those games where things go wrong they go REALLY wrong.

Just been reading about this Pathirana kid who's been going for 10 an over. Apparently he has modelled his action on Lasith Malinga. Now Malinga was a great bowler but why on earth would anyone deliberately copy his action?

Malinga was great despite his action, not because of it.

Pretty spectacular scenery mind you.

Middle order hasn't quite established itself without Stokes.
Only listening on the radio, but sounds like a tricky pitch. I think the middle order did ok really. Top three did amazingly well. Middle order could then come in and just keep swinging. Only Curran scored at under 100. I'm still not convinced by Curran...

Curran's the most expensive overseas player in the IPL so he's doing something right
Chris Morris also went for huge sums in the IPL but had an underwhelming international career. A certain kind of reasonable bowler who can also swing the bat can fetch big prices. If you look at Curran's numbers in tests, Odis and t20i, only his t20i bowling numbers are good.

Anyhow, England are cruising to a huge win here. That total was probably about 100 above par.

Disappointing lack of close matches so far in this WC.

Back
Top Bottom