Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Contact Tracing: Will You Self Isolate? (and related discussion)

Will you self isolate if told to by the tracing team?

• Yes, I will self isolate

Votes: 89 74.8%
  • No, I won't

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 18 15.1%

• Total voters
Still having to go to work on site a couple of times a week, on increasingly crowded public transport.

Tempted to advertise for a hookup with people who think they might soon have a positive test result. We chuck (due to social distancing) our phones in a bowl together for a little over 15-minutes, and then I will officially have to self-isolate on Test and Trace advice :thumbs: :hmm:

Like a key party, only more 2020 :D

Still having to go to work on site a couple of times a week, on increasingly crowded public transport.

Tempted to advertise for a hookup with people who think they might soon have a positive test result. We chuck (due to social distancing) our phones in a bowl together for a little over 15-minutes, and then I will officially have to self-isolate on Test and Trace advice :thumbs: :hmm:

Like a key party, only more 2020 :D
A slightly less drastic option could be just to get signed off sick with stress - tell the GP that getting on crowded transport, etc, is causing you acute anxiety.

Urgent question, please help oh wise sages of Urban.

My partner received a push notification on her phone stating that she had been in proximity to someone who has tested positive. Followed in quick succession by another notification which said "don't worry, we have assessed the risk and your..." (message tails off, there's only so much text displayed on the notification bar).

Clicking the notification took her into the app, and there's absolutely no indication anywhere as to how to read the messages received. Any bright ideas?

Urgent question, please help oh wise sages of Urban.

My partner received a push notification on her phone stating that she had been in proximity to someone who has tested positive. Followed in quick succession by another notification which said "don't worry, we have assessed the risk and your..." (message tails off, there's only so much text displayed on the notification bar).

Clicking the notification took her into the app, and there's absolutely no indication anywhere as to how to read the messages received. Any bright ideas?
Ignore it. There's a lot of discussion on the Covid app thread.

Ignore it. There's a lot of discussion on the Covid app thread.

Cheers, somehow missed that. So phantom notifications were an issue on the 30th September, and are still happening now on the 22nd October.

Why can't there just be a message centre within the app where you can read it, with in big letters THIS IS NOT AN INSTRUCTION TO SELF ISOLATE?

I have had a few of those now Zapp Brannigan and they just disappear. Last one was when I was at home had not been near anyone for 12 hours.

Serco #worldbeating app is worth every penny

I don't think you understand how the app works, alerts will only appear when you have been in close contact to someone that has tested positive, so by the time they became ill, took a test, got the result, and added it to the app, it could be several days after close contact, not in the last 12 hours.

I don't think you understand how the app works, alerts will only appear when you have been in close contact to someone that has tested positive, so by the time they became ill, took a test, got the result, and added it to the app, it could be several days after close contact, not in the last 12 hours.
Yeah

There is an excellent - and truly scary -piece by George Monbiot, in today's Guardian, on The appalling mess Serco are making of Contact tracing
These, for me, are the key paragraphs:
Until last week, the workers at the call centre were doing the simplest job in the tracing chain, calling those who have been identified as contacts of infected people and telling them to isolate themselves for 14 days, giving them some scripted advice and collecting a small amount of data. But last week, the call centre announced that all the workers on this contract were being “upskilled”. Instead of making these simple calls, they would now be calling infected patients and discovering all their contacts over the past fortnight. To use the official terms, they have suddenly been promoted from level 3 call handlers to level 2 clinical contact caseworkers.

In its advertisements for this job, the NHS explains applicants must be at Clinician Band 6 level, who will be working as part of a team of “experienced clinicians”. You must have a health or science degree or “demonstrable equivalent experience or qualifications”; experience in “a field related to public health or health and social care services as a practitioner” and “registration with the relevant professional body”. Among your tasks are “conducting a public health risk assessment”, “providing public health advice” and “using your clinical knowledge to help escalate complex cases”. Anyone accepted for this role would be “provided with appropriate training”.

But the workers at the call centre who have been “upskilled” to this level are mostly school-leavers and students, with no relevant qualifications. While the job is officially advertised at between £16.97 and £27.15 per hour, they are all being paid the minimum wage, which means £6.45 for the 18- to 20-year-olds (most of them) and £8.72 for over-25s.

Can anyone confirm any of the substance of the article? Because, if it is true, it is quite simply scandalou.s

The whole contact tracing system is clearly a complete waste of money, when under 20% of those contacted actually self-isolate.

I wonder if anyone is keeping track of how many people they tell to isolate who actually do go on to develop symptoms.... I guess even if it's working, the number would be small but perhaps it'd give you some indication. TBH, i can see why some people don't bother to isolate when the whole system seems so shite and inaccurate - especially as it's getting to a lot of people in the last few days of what is supposed to be their isolation period.

I also had one of those momentary 'You may have had contact with someone, we're just checking' messages, followed by a 'Don't worry...' next day. I can't remember if I read an entire message, or just stopped reading after 'don't worry' as I think I just saw the first two words and thought 'that's OK then'

I have been told to self isolate by track and trace after being in close contact with someone over the weekend who has since tested positive (don't hang out with teachers)

I had a test, came back negative, still have to isolate. The whole form filling process is a joke and the systems are so disjoined it's untrue. I could literally put any name and DOB into the self isolation form you need to give to an employer, so if anyone wants two weeks off work, DM me.

Christ read the last few pages of this thread and just so pleased I never bothered signing up for this shit show. Utterly pointless.

Track and trace are pissing me off. They’ve phoned me about 6 times during my forced isolation. 2 times yesterday. Probably to ensure I wasn’t out watching fire works or some shit.
Yet the person that had covid and forced me into isolation hasn’t been re contacted once.

Contact tracers working for these companies told the Guardian they had received little training, with one saying they were doing sensitive work while sitting beside colleagues making sales calls for gambling websites.

One contact-tracer, earning £8.72 an hour, said he was having to interview extremely vulnerable people in a “target driven” office that encouraged staff to make 20 calls a day, despite NHS guidance saying each call should take 45 to 60 minutes.

Can someone tell me how this works and give advice please?

My partner has just been zapped by the app. 10 days self-isolate.

She hasn't been out for about 2 months so we assume it's one of the delivery people (Amazon etc). This would add up as nearly all deliveries are in her name.

But doesn't it match phones with addresses? If it does, why haven't I got a notification too?

Or maybe it doesn't and just hits the phone connected with the delivery?

Please advise.

Can someone tell me how this works and give advice please?

My partner has just been zapped by the app. 10 days self-isolate.

She hasn't been out for about 2 months so we assume it's one of the delivery people (Amazon etc). This would add up as nearly all deliveries are in her name.

But doesn't it match phones with addresses? If it does, why haven't I got a notification too?

Or maybe it doesn't and just hits the phone connected with the delivery?

Please advise.

I'm really not understanding this. The app website says;

If an app user tests positive for coronavirus, they can choose to share their result anonymously. The NHS will then send alerts to other app users who have spent time near them, or been in ‘close contact', over the last few days. These alerts will never identify an individual.

‘Close contact’ is based on an algorithm, but generally means you've been within 2 metres of someone with coronavirus for 15 minutes or more.

There's no way that can apply to a delivery driver.

And she literally hasn't left the house for 2 months.

Anyone?

If an app user tests positive for coronavirus, they can choose to share their result anonymously. The NHS will then send alerts to other app users who have spent time near them, or been in ‘close contact', over the last few days. These alerts will never identify an individual.

‘Close contact’ is based on an algorithm, but generally means you've been within 2 metres of someone with coronavirus for 15 minutes or more.

Anyone?
Well based on that it's bollocks, isn't it?

I'd be inclined to ignore it.

It could be less than 15 minutes if you are very close to someone and they are in their most infectious period. Maybe she chatted to a delivery driver for a couple of minutes?

Are you in a terraced house? Adjoining gardens?

Or maybe a blip on one or other of your apps.

It could be less than 15 minutes if you are very close to someone and they are in their most infectious period. Maybe she chatted to a delivery driver for a couple of minutes?

This is what I'm worried about. I chatted to a delivery driver. For 2 minutes. He needed directions (I live in the middle of nowhere).

But 2 minutes isn't 15 minutes is it?

Anyone?

Just follow it, accurately remembering your close contacts for the last 2 months is not going to be at all reliable. If she doesn't leave the house then surely it doens't make any difference whether she follows it anyway?

Back
Top Bottom