Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

campaign against welfare cuts and poverty

To be fair, the Guardian has been quite good on this recently, they did a leader column that was very clear in warning against the need to take an overly punitive and/or stigmatising approach to welfare reforms (not that Brown and co necessarily listen tho). Having McNulty come in as a Minister to replace Timms clearly demonstrates to me the fact that they want a bruiser in to force though policies that are unpopular and arguably unwise so its going to get worse before it gets better.

The problem is, as always, the difference between those that - for medical reasons - those that can't work, and those that simply can't be bothered, or have worked out it's more cost effective to stay at home and have babies, living off the system, than having to go out and work.

It's not very easy to claim any disability benefit tbh. I also post on a carers forum where carers who do 24/7 care are being dragged into job centres (sometimes by appalling rude people) and can't even arrange cover for the person they look after -- and risk losing their money.... how people are meant to work fulltime in that situation I don't know.

how many employers are going to employ people with a spotty health record and, given the current vilification of 'scroungers', a history of benefits claiming?

how many employers are going to employ people with a spotty health record and, given the current vilification of 'scroungers', a history of benefits claiming?

It's quite hard to convince them your brain doesn't fall out when you've stayed at home to bring up children! And that's without a dodgy health record...

Of course employers won't get penalised for not hiring such people, unlike the people themselves who will get penalised for not applying for work.

The BBC News coverage was as usual, a disgrace, the first few seconds was showing 'fiddlers', etc, yet the reforms aren't about stopping fraud, then, a guy who had joy of joys gone back to work, they then had some guy from the R/W Social Market Foundation, they only gave ten seconds to someone from Mencap who had reservations,

clealry the BBC has an agenda

5live were very quick to use that lovely word, malingerer, while discussing this issue earlier, as they spoke to one of the overseers from the dwp.

I 've just rang the BBC complaints service to challenge their biased and uncritical coverage of the Gov'ts welfare reforms and it is clear that the policy has changed: instead of a polite officer giving helpful guidance and listening attentively, (as is their job) they are now brusque*, say that you must hurry and then basically cut you off, its not a one off, the Trust recently introduced new complaints guidelines which facilate this system. they are evn going to have list of known 'cranks' who will be gently put off, but who is to say who is a crank?

though as Kyser notede today that may be down to the Ross/Brand storm.

TL, have you had any more luck getting peeps motivated locally? I remember you saying you'd tried when these were first announced and had been met by a wave of overwhelming apathy...

TL, have you had any more luck getting peeps motivated locally? I remember you saying you'd tried when these were first announced and had been met by a wave of overwhelming apathy...

Lazy people too lazy to protest when people call them lazy shock!!!!!

ooops not rearly....

Imo, these nasty and vindictive reforms will one day be seen in the same light as the introduction of the Means Test in the 1931 which contributed to the split in the LP, a massive stain on the party.

Nu Labour = Nu Poverty....and what worries me ..is where are they getting the so called doctors from to do the assessing? Are their qualifications displayed.......made open........and of course they must be multi skilled to deal with many ailments....so masters at physical and mental illness's, diseases and disabilities. Are they CRB checked? It just seems odd that their are lots of docs outside of the NHS capable to judge and assess.

We held a few group meetings but people found it difficult to attend due to heavy rain.........but as a group we have decided to go for funding for .....food parcels, hampers and vouchers. When I tapped in our very small group details in the fundfinder computer at the voluntary centre approx 928 possible funds available for our area of deprivation. So we are applying for a few. We thought practical help was a better forward.
We are also going to print a small monthly leaflet.....hand drawn with tips and info and news of any action, demo's or meetings.

Nu Labour = Nu Poverty....and what worries me ..is where are they getting the so called doctors from to do the assessing? .

From what I've read so far ESA claimants will be assessed by a 'health professional' from the private company ATOS:mad:.I've been looking at an ESA guide that I downloaded from a benefits advice website - the new rules sound really complicated, so much for Purnell's claim to be saving money by 'simplifying' the system.:hmm:

Also no one seems to know when and how they intend to migrate existing IB claimants onto the new regime - I heard that for under 25s it could be as early as next year, but then I heard somewhere else that it may not begin until 2012:confused:

In tandem, Jobcentre Plus groups will be located in children's centres to advise parents on work. A government document says: "Many [parents] would never consider visiting a JCP particularly if their partner is already working, but may be more receptive to the services in a relaxed setting like children's centres."

A parallel scheme has already worked in health centres with Jobcentre Plus staff trained to do basic medical work, such as injections. The staff from the job centre would also advise on back-to-work strategies for people previously hard to reach. The scheme is being promoted by the work and pensions minister Kitty Ussher.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jan/23/free-childcare-purnell-benefit-reform

from the Guardian, its hard to believe but now DWP staff are acting as erstatz nurses in G.P's surgeries, isn't any professional body opposing this? they are like 'spys in the cab' for claimants. .People who have just been made redundant will get a shock when they sign on and I imagine they will be angry and confused. Purnell is one of the most powerful politicians in the UK with power over millions, plenty of interventions to be made by the left, but will they/us do so?

meanwhile, some charities are really challenging Purnells policies on welfare which are roaring ahead

Campaign Against Workfare Goes Mainstream.

http://tendancecoatesy.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/campaign-against-workfare-goes-mainstream/

Department of Work and boring, grinding, relentless Poverty.

james_purnell_welfare_reformer.jpg

Had to laugh - (on the radio) heard "a professional person" who lost his job last autumn (and still hasn't found another in the midlands) whingeing that the £250 a month "handout from the government" wasn't enough for somebody like him to live on with wife, 2 children and one soon to arrive. Diddums. Oh how my heart does bleed. Bet he didn't say anything about how miserly those benefits are while he had a well paid job.

I have bipolar disorder and in August 2007 I had a manic episode which meant I had to be hospitalised for a month. I had just finished Uni in the May and didn't have enough national insurance contributions accrued to claim IB. Because I have a partner we couldn't claim income support or housing benefit even though it takes two incomes to pay our £675 rent to our private landlord + bills. Since then I have worked in a series of dead end jobs averaging about £500 per month income. My job is hanging in the balance again now and I dont think I will be able to claim anything. I went to see the secretary of my local MP but nothing came of it.

Back
Top Bottom