Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bitcoin discussion and news

q_w_e_r_t_y you mention a lot about the indestructibility of the blockchain. What happens if say a large solar storm knocks out the internet links to the USA so that is isolated for a few days. What happens when those links are re-established?
There will now be 2 separate blockchains with different transactions listed, how would this be reconciled?
That's an impossible scenario. There's loads of different links to the USA and even if that happened, we'd have far bigger issues to worry about, such as fuel pumps not working.

You are delusional. Smart contracts cannot account for every change that might occur beyond its code, since that would require literal omniscience on the part of the smart contract's programmer(s). So unless its codebase is actively maintained by human beings, there's going to be a point where the mismatch between programming and reality becomes big enough to functionally break the smart contract. And what about the hardware all this shit is running on? Somebody's gotta be paying for that. Humans are still needed to construct, maintain and expand the physical networks. If nobody is benefiting from these smart contracts operating, then why would they be wasting computing resources on them? This idea that software constructs can just perpetually operate as if they exist in some kind of parallel universe just goes to show how estranged from physical reality crypto bros have become.
We have proxy smart contracts and versioning systems for that reason.

Let's take for example Uniswap.

We started on v1 and now we are on v3.

There are hardcoded smart contracts that are public facing ... but if we lift up the bonnet, there are proxy contracts underneath, as the public smart contract simply has a varible that can be changed to point to other smart contracts.

We upgrade major versions, when the major versions would need to take in new variables from the public.

So getting back to Uniswap, Uniswap v1 and v2 still exist, can always be used but have less liquidity as the public move on to using v3 which is promoted more heavily.

That's how socieity moves on and adapts in the crypto world.

I have crypto bonds earning me yield that utilize Uniswap v2 that expire sometime in 2025, but if I wanted to exchange crypto today, I would use Uniswap v3.

Stakerone said:
You'd have to do an awful lot of bombing to break a decentralised network, so much so, you'd have to bomb the entire internet out of existance. So neither the government nor the banks will control or owns the money and if they want any money it's on the people's terms. I keep telling you, you won't listen. There are only two options on the menu. 1. The people control their socieity from the bottom up so the government can't buy the fucking bombs (if we so wish) or 2. The government has full spectrum control of our lives, with an almost zero cost to controlling each one of us. There will be no inbetween, the inbetween will be crushed lig bugs by the governments, because everything is there to play for keeps.
This is not an argument, it's a false dichotomy

If I had to boil the misunderstanding down to a single, pithy (as possible) phrase, it would be this:

Power is not a manifestation and expression of money. That puts the cart before the horse. Instead, money is a manifestation and expression of power. Power derives from the real-world ability to affect the actions of others. Money is merely the abstracted symbol of that power.

That's an impossible scenario. There's loads of different links to the USA and even if that happened, we'd have far bigger issues to worry about, such as fuel pumps not working.
There are not that many links, and depending on the size of the event, all of them could be knocked out, causing forks and all sorts of problems that would be a lot less with traditional banking systems. People would talk to each other, and the issues would be resolved a lot more quickly.

BIB, so Cypto this immutable, indestructible isn't actually indestructible on a global scale and aren't anything to worry about in the grand scheme of things, like using it to pay for fuel once the Electricity Grid is up and running again. Hopefully, the Grid operators will preemptively shut down for the duration of the event. Once the grid is back up, good old cash will work while those fancy digital beads will be unusable.

Here's a map of the number of cables Submarine Cable Map

There are not that many links, and depending on the size of the event, all of them could be knocked out, causing forks and all sorts of problems that would be a lot less with traditional banking systems. People would talk to each other, and the issues would be resolved a lot more quickly.

BIB, so Cypto this immutable, indestructible isn't actually indestructible on a global scale and aren't anything to worry about in the grand scheme of things, like using it to pay for fuel once the Electricity Grid is up and running again. Hopefully, the Grid operators will preemptively shut down for the duration of the event. Once the grid is back up, good old cash will work while those fancy digital beads will be unusable.

Here's a map of the number of cables Submarine Cable Map

You'd be waiting a long time because the people who need to get the electricity grid up and running would have no fuel because of the fuel pump issue.

If the sun were to fry an area of the planet, there would be no crypto business done in that area....when each node comes back online, it syncs with nodes that are in places that weren't fried...so I don't see how that puts crypto at a disadvantage, as all of that is automatic.

With a centralised system, you have to hope that there is a backup in an area of the planet that wasn't fried, then a team of experts would need to co-ordingate recovery, so that everything is in sync.

You'd be waiting a long time because the people who need to get the electricity grid up and running would have no fuel because of the fuel pump issue.

If the sun were to fry an area of the planet, there would be no crypto business done in that area....when each node comes back online, it syncs with nodes that are in places that weren't fried...so I don't see how that puts crypto at a disadvantage, as all of that is automatic.

With a centralised system, you have to hope that there is a backup in an area of the planet that wasn't fried, then a team of experts would need to co-ordingate recovery, so that everything is in sync.
You seem to lack understanding of what effects a large coronal mass ejection can cause.
The effects are on satellites are through high energy particles and for LEO satellites like Starlink in increased drag from an expanded Earth's atmosphere. Then the effects on cables that run for long distances. e.g. High Voltage power grids and power cables to power fibre optic repeaters for sub-sea cables are through induced currents.

While unlikely, the UK National Grid has multiple layers of redundancy and restart plans. But this is another advantage of the centralised system. I'd bet good money that the USA grid would be a lot worse off.
While I expect banks and other centralised systems to have, disaster recovery scenarios worked out for this. Crytpo being decentralised by design won't and while most datacenters will keep running through diesel generators and will ride out the storm and the loss of transatlantic internet. Crypto by what q_w_e_r_t_y stated, will become totally forked.

You seem to lack understanding of what effects a large coronal mass ejection can cause.
The effects are on satellites are through high energy particles and for LEO satellites like Starlink in increased drag from an expanded Earth's atmosphere. Then the effects on cables that run for long distances. e.g. High Voltage power grids and power cables to power fibre optic repeaters for sub-sea cables are through induced currents.

While unlikely, the UK National Grid has multiple layers of redundancy and restart plans. But this is another advantage of the centralised system. I'd bet good money that the USA grid would be a lot worse off.
While I expect banks and other centralised systems to have, disaster recovery scenarios worked out for this. Crytpo being decentralised by design won't and while most datacenters will keep running through diesel generators and will ride out the storm and the loss of transatlantic internet. Crypto by what q_w_e_r_t_y stated, will become totally forked.

Hahahahaa I see what you did there - totally forked ... catchy as it sounds, it won't happen.

You keep imagining a scenario that would somehow screw up crypto but not everything centralised.

A weird scenario in your imagination that would affect the network infrastructure in one place, but not the decentralised nodes - that's practically impossible.

My point being is that if the network infrastructure in one area has been knocked out, then so have the cryppcurrency nodes. No cryptocurrency nodes, no transactions, no transactions, no fork.

Hahahahaa I see what you did there - totally forked ... catchy as it sounds, it won't happen.

You keep imagining a scenario that would somehow screw up crypto but not everything centralised.

A weird scenario in your imagination that would affect the network infrastructure in one place, but not the decentralised nodes - that's practically impossible.

My point being is that if the network infrastructure in one area has been knocked out, then so have the cryppcurrency nodes. No cryptocurrency nodes, no transactions, no transactions, no fork.
But if the undersea cables are knocked out, then there will be two sets of nodes, one set in the USA and one set in Europe. That's not including Australia, New Zealand and other islands. Where they could become isolated from the internet but carry on with local (To the landmass) internet infrastructure, that is how the internet was initially designed.

So what you and qwerty are saying is that Crypto only works if the internet is working globally; otherwise, it forks by design. That seems like a pretty big weakness for something you want the world to rely on.

It is an unlikely scenario. but if mass adoption were to occur then the risk vs the disruption caused would increase dramatically. But I don't think one part of the internet is so unlikely across a period of decades, through natural disasters or malign forces breaking parts of the internet intentionally.

Changing the subject a bit, Dan Olsen of Folding Ideas has taken a look at Decentraland and how bad it is. In the video there is a section on Governance which is pretty relevant across a wide range of Web3 projects. The link starts at that chapter in the Video.

Caution contains levels of cringe that only Web3 tech fetishists can produce.

Changing the subject a bit, Dan Olsen of Folding Ideas has taken a look at Decentraland and how bad it is. In the video there is a section on Governance which is pretty relevant across a wide range of Web3 projects. The link starts at that chapter in the Video.

Caution contains levels of cringe that only Web3 tech fetishists can produce.

I could go to the Apple or Google play store and show you some horrific apps.

Does that make those smart phones useless?

Honestly, the list of uses for open public ledgers, smart contracts and DAPSS are absolutely endless.

I can't comment on anything like decentraland because you know what? I can't be into everything and I just don't have the time for virtual realities, secondlife type worlds etc. I'm lucky if I find the time to switch on the XBOX for more than a couple of hours a week.

It doesn't need violence to back it up.

You haven't enough guns and bullets to stop crypto.

Oh yes it does. Think about what sovereignty actually means. Think about all those pathetic wankers who try to use weasel words to get out of their civic responsibilities by calling themselves sovereign citizens, and further recall how they always end up getting their legal shit pushed in sooner or later.

Crypto doesn't need to be killed with guns and bullets. It's proven effective enough in sabotaging its own prospects.

Oh yes it does. Think about what sovereignty actually means. Think about all those pathetic wankers who try to use weasel words to get out of their civic responsibilities by calling themselves sovereign citizens, and further recall how they always end up getting their legal shit pushed in sooner or later.

Crypto doesn't need to be killed with guns and bullets. It's proven effective enough in sabotaging its own prospects.

Sovereign citizens is a different thing altogether than the concept of citizens ultimately being sovereign.

If it were true that crypto is effective at sabotaging it's own prospects, you wouldn't be investing any time into the subject. But you do, because you're awfully scared that normal people will be impowered by it.

To you, there is nothing more offensive than working class folk having a chance. You want the old world, where old money gets first dibs on investments, while non accreddited investors have to wait.

Fuck that, we can do what we want, we can say what we want and you authatrons can't do anything about it.

But if the undersea cables are knocked out, then there will be two sets of nodes, one set in the USA and one set in Europe. That's not including Australia, New Zealand and other islands. Where they could become isolated from the internet but carry on with local (To the landmass) internet infrastructure, that is how the internet was initially designed.

So what you and qwerty are saying is that Crypto only works if the internet is working globally; otherwise, it forks by design. That seems like a pretty big weakness for something you want the world to rely on.

It is an unlikely scenario. but if mass adoption were to occur then the risk vs the disruption caused would increase dramatically. But I don't think one part of the internet is so unlikely across a period of decades, through natural disasters or malign forces breaking parts of the internet intentionally.
If the cables were cut between the US and Europe, the internet would just run slower globally and so would the blockchains ... the good ones at least!

Sovereign citizens is a different thing altogether than the concept of citizens ultimately being sovereign.

If it were true that crypto is effective at sabotaging it's own prospects, you wouldn't be investing any time into the subject. But you do, because you're awfully scared that normal people will be impowered by it.

To you, there is nothing more offensive than working class folk having a chance. You want the old world, where old money gets first dibs on investments, while non accreddited investors have to wait.

Fuck that, we can do what we want, we can say what we want and you authatrons can't do anything about it.

Cryptoloon translator daemon said:
you mean sovereign citizens but I mean citizens who are sovereign. Totally different!! Also, I argue like a toddler :thumbs:

Crypto bros and sovcits are committing the same kind of mistake. If citizens are to truly be sovereign, then neither cargo cult legalism nor libertarian fantasies are going to cut it. Socioeconomic power should be distributed democratically, rather than according to who can amass the largest quantity of bullshit tokens, whether they be fiat or crypto.

I have an interest in a number of follies, but I can honestly say that I've put far more hours into flying a spaceship in a video game than I have arguing the toss with crypto believers. Your pathetic bawling about how authoritarian I supposedly am is a display of ignorance that only serves to make you look childish.

Crypto bros and sovcits are committing the same kind of mistake. If citizens are to truly be sovereign, then neither cargo cult legalism nor libertarian fantasies are going to cut it. Socioeconomic power should be distributed democratically, rather than according to who can amass the largest quantity of bullshit tokens, whether they be fiat or crypto.

I have an interest in a number of follies, but I can honestly say that I've put far more hours into flying a spaceship in a video game than I have arguing the toss with crypto believers. Your pathetic bawling about how authoritarian I supposedly am is a display of ignorance that only serves to make you look childish.

But you are authoratarian!

For example, is this a scenario you would be happy with:

1. The Bank of England issues a centralised CBDC that can't be programmed by anyone else other than those who hold it (Example, pay the rent every Friday).

AND

2. It issues a pound token for use on public ledgers such as Ethereum.

Would you be happy with that scenario?

But you are authoratarian!

For example, is this a scenario you would be happy with:

1. The Bank of England issues a centralised CBDC that can't be programmed by anyone else other than those who hold it (Example, pay the rent every Friday).

AND

2. It issues a pound token for use on public ledgers such as Ethereum.

Would you be happy with that scenario?

Sez you, and you don't know me from Adam.

Well, my first reaction is one of indifference. Why should I give a shit either way? Cash and private bank deposits aren't going anywhere, especially if the Bank of England were to start acting fucky with the ability of legitimate businesses and the general public to spend their digital pounds as they see fit. I can see some people having use for a truly digital currency issued directly by the Bank of England, but I don't count myself among them. Cash and a debit card with the option of contactless payments are proving to be sufficiently effective and reliable solutions to the question of how I spend my beer tokens.

Back
Top Bottom