Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bitcoin discussion and news

How much tax do you pay on your imaginary currency gains? In real money I mean?
There is no tax on unrealised gains, realised gains over £12k are liable for CGT.

There are some kind of complicated tax avoidances that you can do if you want to exchange more, but the only thing I'd want to buy with the money is bitcoin, so I just move some to stablecoins when its high and buy back when low. That way I dont need "real money" to pay tax, so I dont have to move anything back to the legacy system

Have you taken this opportunity to shift all your last available £ into bitcoin at such an awesome exchange rate? I guess you could even sell all your worldly possessions for extra £ to someone and rent them back using bitcoin, also take out a huge £ loan against your future £ salary and shovel that in too. It must be profitable to have such confidence in something.
Not quite, I've been buying a little every day while its under $20k, but I reckon this could go down as low as $10k, and as I keep very little in fiat, I dont want to get hit with a lekky bill that I might have to sell bitcoin to pay.

In wilder moments I do think about taking out some kind of fiat loan, but tbh, I dont really want to have anything more to do with banks or credit cards or any of that shit than I absolutely have to.

At least it’s not yet quite as bad as the South Sea Bubble of 1720. Almost, but not quite.
Not yet, but there is a whole load more pain to come
- there are still insolvant exchanges
- the tether shitshow has yet to come crashing down
- miners are underwater with a cost of $19300 to mine 1btc.

If you have bitcoin on a centralised exchange IMMEDIATELY move it to a wallet that you own the private key for.

Not yet, but there is a whole load more pain to come
- there are still insolvant exchanges
- the tether shitshow has yet to come crashing down

If you have bitcoin on a centralised exchange IMMEDIATELY move it to a wallet that you own the private key for.
Tether is the biggie. The majority of bitcoin transactions are done using Tether. When that fails, it won't be 20 or 30 per cent wiped off crypto. Add a zero.

The craziness of Tether is that nobody believes that they have the reserves they say they have. So everybody knows it is primed to fail.

There is no tax on unrealised gains, realised gains over £12k are liable for CGT.

There are some kind of complicated tax avoidances that you can do if you want to exchange more, but the only thing I'd want to buy with the money is bitcoin, so I just move some to stablecoins when its high and buy back when low. That way I dont need "real money" to pay tax, so I dont have to move anything back to the legacy system

Not quite, I've been buying a little every day while its under $20k, but I reckon this could go down as low as $10k, and as I keep very little in fiat, I dont want to get hit with a lekky bill that I might have to sell bitcoin to pay.

In wilder moments I do think about taking out some kind of fiat loan, but tbh, I dont really want to have anything more to do with banks or credit cards or any of that shit than I absolutely have to.
So you’ve been in Bitcoin quite a while from what I gathered, and in that time it’s gone up in value many multiples, even if it’s taken a recent haircut, but still quite considerably up from what you originally put in I’m assuming? Meanwhile you haven’t sold any while it’s been reaching new highs and IRL you have little to your name and even considered taking out loans to buy more numbers on screen? Is this a fair summary?

What happens when a bit coin owner dies? Does their bitcoin stash just lay dormant forever or can it be included in a will? Do people keep their long password written down somewhere?

What happens when a bit coin owner dies? Does their bitcoin stash just lay dormant forever or can it be included in a will? Do people keep their long password written down somewhere?

Like any asset it can be transferred to someone else via a will or intestate if no will.

But of course if someone dies without leaving anyone their password/seed phrase then the coins will be trapped forever.

This is what happened with Quadriga crypto exchange: Mystery of crypto CEO who died — or did he? — taking $250 million with him
Although of course there's big suspicion that the person who ran this did not die but instead exit scammed $250m

Back to FTX, there's between $1bn and $2bn of customer funds that cannot be located: Exclusive: At least $1 billion of client funds missing at FTX
I suspect we need to look behind Bankman-Fried's fridge, or perhaps down the back of his sofa.

One very laughable moment in that article regarding a $10bn transfer from FTX to Alameda (Bankman-Friend's investment fund firm)

In text messages to Reuters, Bankman-Fried said he "disagreed with the characterization" of the $10 billion transfer.

"We didn't secretly transfer," he said. "We had confusing internal labeling and misread it," he added, without elaborating.

Asked about the missing funds, Bankman-Fried responded: "???"

Father Ted vibes there, "it was just resting in my account"

There’s some hilarious crypto bros types on Twitter at the moment, desperately trying to make out all this is totally fine and time to buy more and just wait till we see what things are like in three years time etc etc

I hope every last one of them loses everything :)

It's odd how the various failed tokens stick around.

Terra Luna's original is bumbling along at about 0.02 cents each, but that still amounts to millions in notional market capitalisation given that there are trillions of them in circulation. TL's new attempt, the 2.0, is trading at a couple of dollars each, which isn't nothing - a notional market cap of more than 200 million.

Meanwhile the FTT has dropped by 90 per cent, but again still represents a notional market capitalisation of a couple of hundred million dollars.

These are liquidated/bankrupt companies whose founders are being revealed as crooks. How are their tokens worth anything at all? Who is buying them?

Coming back to this, if that number is correct, then good. Very good. Let miners drown.

This is one of the most important parts of the bigger picture here, one we need to remember every single time we talk about crypto. We are living through a climate emergency and yet bitcoin miners are expending $19300-worth of effort and energy to mine 1btc.

This...

-1x-1.jpg

... is fucking madness.

So you’ve been in Bitcoin quite a while from what I gathered, and in that time it’s gone up in value many multiples, even if it’s taken a recent haircut, but still quite considerably up from what you originally put in I’m assuming? Meanwhile you haven’t sold any while it’s been reaching new highs and IRL you have little to your name and even considered taking out loans to buy more numbers on screen? Is this a fair summary?

Yes - except perhaps that the loans were more a passing notion, like when you feel the excitement, have a brilliant amazing idea that is sure to turn out very well indeed, sleep on it, and realise what a stupid one it actually is.

Yep, should be morally unacceptable to use crypto from an environmental perspective.
Wibble Wibble Green Energy Wibble.

Except that green energy could be used for something useful.
Plus all the cases where miners are causing grid problems are using non-sustainable sources.

Wibble Wibble Green Energy Wibble.

Except that green energy could be used for something useful.
Plus all the cases where miners are causing grid problems are using non-sustainable sources.

OK, ignoring the whole investment in renewables that miners are incentivised to make....why should it be illegal to use energy to number crush, rather than bomb <whatever country is the current target>, take a load of rich people to a "climate conference" in a gaudy vegas-style retreat in the desert, move vegetables round the world to be wrapped in plastic.

Cheap drugs in the post tho...

I'm actually wondering if this might have something to do with the whole FTX meltdown. There is apparently a lack of a drug called Adderall in the US - which is a prescription drug that works a bit like speed, apparently it was common in the whole FTX/trading scene and highly addictive. If traders were off their meds, they would be jittery, and if they had to use crypto means to obtain their prescriptions on the black market, that would give higher than average withdrawals (in both senses of the word).

I suspect drug and gambling addition has a lot to do with this whole shitshow.

Millions of Americans are on adderall. If scarcity was making people do crazy things, wouldn’t we be seeing a lot of other crazy stuff going on?

Agree about the gambling. In my view that’s 99% of crypto interest

OK, ignoring the whole investment in renewables that miners are incentivised to make....why should it be illegal to use energy to number crush, rather than bomb <whatever country is the current target>, take a load of rich people to a "climate conference" in a gaudy vegas-style retreat in the desert, move vegetables round the world to be wrapped in plastic.
That's epic whattaboutery.

You're not going to find many people here defending bombing countries, nor the unsavoury spectacle of rich people jetting in to climate change conferences (the latter is peanuts compared to bitcoin mining, mind you - they could hold a massive conference in a different country every week and not do anywhere near as much damage).

Meanwhile, the world supply chains of food, and agriculture generally, need massive reform, but they serve the purpose of feeding people, so however badly they are done, they're not comparable to bitcoin mining.

To put that into context, to offset the energy footprint of one transaction on the blockchain, you would need to turn the heating off in your house for a month. One transaction. One fucking transaction. That's how much damage you are doing.

to offset the energy footprint of one transaction on the blockchain, you would need to turn the heating off in your house for a month. One transaction. One fucking transaction. That's how much damage you are doing.
Blocks are mined every 10mins (ish) regardless of how many transactions there are. There were loads of empty blocks in the beginning.
Transactions are energy free, its the security that requires a lot of energy.

Blocks are mined every 10mins (ish) regardless of how many transactions there are. There were loads of empty blocks in the beginning.
Transactions are energy free, its the security that requires a lot of energy.
That's a disingenuous way of looking at it. The only thing that actually exists with bitcoin is the blockchain and the transactions on it. You yourself seem keen to stress this point. And the only reason the blockchain exists is in order to enable transactions. Dividing the number of transactions by the total energy used to come up with a figure for energy use per transaction is entirely fair. Ballpark figure, taken from this website, is 1,200 kWh per transaction. If you like, I can add the word 'secure'. It takes 1,200 kWh per secure transaction. Whoopdedoo. You could heat a home for more than a month with that much energy.

Last edited:
Some other recent speculative bubbles, for context of how mental this one is.

1668275650840.png

It's not over yet, either. Number 5 on the all-time list at the moment -- let's get it to #1!

None of those things should happen. The only one that might get pass is the vegetables if you can show that wrapping in plastic leads to lower losses in transit then it might be worth doing, especially if you can use cellulose rather than oil based plastic. Plus the vegetables do actual good, unlike the first two and although I think the climate change conferences can and do produce good outcomes, they could and should be done largely if not entirely online and the energy used to get people to these places is disgraceful.

The other three should all stop and I have no idea why you think anyone here is happy with war, like do you think anyone is going to say "oh yeah, I think we should definitely be bombing people and who cares about the harm to the environment so shit yeah how can I be critical of crypto mining?". I'm pretty sure we can take it as read that we are all going to say no to war, and not just from an energy wastage/environmental issue point of view. It's a terrible argument to make tbh, it just solidifies the view that yes, bitcoin mining is fucking terrible, just like war is.

Yep, should be morally unacceptable to use crypto from an environmental perspective.

Was reading about how mining was paradoxically creating incentives in terms of renewable energy development but don’t have the depth of knowledge to back that up very well.

Regardless, not a crypto fan. Whole thing is riddled with rackets and dishonesty.

Was reading about how mining was paradoxically creating incentives in terms of renewable energy development but don’t have the depth of knowledge to back that up very well.

Regardless, not a crypto fan. Whole thing is riddled with rackets and dishonesty.
The economics of mining create an incentive to use energy as efficiently as possible. Plus there is the problem that they're not always likely to be welcome in an area if they hog the lecky and push prices up, which they do. That's all. That can mean turning to renewables or it can mean reviving coal plants.

Bitcoin miners revived a dying coal plant – then CO2 emissions soared

It can also mean operating in places with dodgy regulations and plenty of bribery potential, such as Venezuela, where bitcoin miners use the cheap oil, and have been known to plunge whole towns into blackouts by hogging the lecky.

On the whole, people who think mining bitcoin on an industrial scale is a good thing to do are not nice people.

Back
Top Bottom