Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are we really going to sit by while they destroy the NHS?

I would say ime/anecdotally there's a fair amount of support among NHS staff for something like that charging system. Be interested to see any more fact based info, but support for it might even be higher than in the general public given how difficult working in the NHS is currently (people will clutch at straws for any solutions).
Any reasonable argument to charge a little in some cases, as often happens on the continent, must be fought against. It;'ll be the thin end of the wedge and escalate immediately. The principle of free healthcare at the point of delivery must be defended at all costs
I'll be generous and think some of those thick as shit Labour MPs who supported 3k student fees genuinely believed the cost would stay at that level - of course it jumped to 9k in a flash.
And thats the thing, New Labour have previous on this, Streeting obviously wants it, and so it will no doubt happen next parliament unless theres public fightback. All those reasonable voices saying a little charge here and there must be countered

Yep, but what 'lone wolves' like the now 'liberated' Javid can do is raise the ideological direction up the news agenda. Simply having their vile ideas as "media talking points" acts to legitimise, normalise and ultimately manufacture some degree of consent.
There is always some degree of consent for any proposal

Any reasonable argument to charge a little in some cases, as often happens on the continent, must be fought against. It;'ll be the thin end of the wedge and escalate immediately. The principle of free healthcare at the point of delivery must be defended at all costs.

I agree, I was just responding to the idea that striking staff would be firmly against it as I think unfortunately that might not be the case.

I've just checked this was accurate because it's doing the rounds on Twitter.

This is how much Guernsey charges for health care at A&E. The Channel Islands are not part of the UK.

ae.png

Any reasonable argument to charge a little in some cases, as often happens on the continent, must be fought against. It;'ll be the thin end of the wedge and escalate immediately. The principle of free healthcare at the point of delivery must be defended at all costs
I'll be generous and think some of those thick as shit Labour MPs who supported 3k student fees genuinely believed the cost would stay at that level - of course it jumped to 9k in a flash.
And thats the thing, New Labour have previous on this, Streeting obviously wants it, and so it will no doubt happen next parliament unless theres public fightback. All those reasonable voices saying a little charge here and there must be countered

Just look at NHS dentists. What started off as a small flat fee for dental work has turned into no NHS dentists left, market rates for everyone.

If they started charging for other NHS services they'd just cut government funding to match. It's not a solution, nor is it intended to be.

What happens if you can't afford treatment in Guernsey
?
Its a big mess including lots of people with health insurance (often via their jobs) and also some social benefits stuff covering certain costs there.

I think their model is under pressure. There is an ongoing review about the funding model. There was a survey conduscted in 2022 that is supposed to feed intot hat review, and it reveals quite a lot of people avoiding seeking care and treatment for certain things.

The full report of the survey results:

There are issues with scale there too, the entire population is smaller than that of my town.

While strikes were on and the NHS rundown, I had reason to visit my GP with a complicated issue. She got me seen by two separate hospital departments within a couple of weeks, numerous blood tests etc. I was impressed.

fucking hell-just watched Dispatches-depressing or what -pretty sure the A-E Consultant reckoned that there were 23,000 excess deaths last year because of delays at every stage in Emergency Care.Courageous ambulance worker filmed for Channel Four some off the scale scandalous scenes inter alia a ninety odd year old woman hypothermic when the ambulance arrived because she had been lying on the pavement at night in freezing temperatures for four hours after pressing her lanyard panic button.That was far from the worst of it and unsurprisingly the last scene saw the ambulance guy emailing his resignation to West Midlands Ambulance Service.How has it come to this?

I dont have access to the full article but piecing together a couple of snippets via what is available and shows up in search results:

The director of a leading pharmacy chain invited to advise the prime minister on healthcare reform has claimed the NHS makes people too ‘lazy’ to take responsibility for their health.

Day Lewis director Sam Patel also said the fact the NHS was “free” meant there was little “jeopardy” discouraging people from becoming ill,

I dont have access to the full article but piecing together a couple of snippets via what is available and shows up in search results:

Maybe anyone who becomes ill more than once in a decade should be kneecapped as an initial warning, and then properly punished for further infractions.

Is it someone from Day Lewis? That's my nearest and who I get my prescriptions from. Might have to change that.

Back
Top Bottom