Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

And now a French General election too (2024)

Unwise quotes from over ten years ago being dug up by creepy liberals, eh? Sounds like the problem Reform has over here.

Which way would you be voting if you were French, Silas?

My daughter’s preferred conversational gambit is “if you were a fish, which fish would you be?”. She’s asked me this hundreds of times. And I always answer “a tench”. I don’t say “there’s no meaningful way in which I could be a fish and still be me”, even though I think her question is absurd, because I like her very much and am happy to humour her.

But she’s my daughter, and you’re a snide subtweeting dick on a message board. So I’m less inclined to play along.

My daughter’s preferred conversational gambit is “if you were a fish, which fish would you be?”. She’s asked me this hundreds of times. And I always answer “a tench”. I don’t say “there’s no meaningful way in which I could be a fish and still be me”, even though I think her question is absurd, because I like her very much and am happy to humour her.

But she’s my daughter, and you’re a snide subtweeting dick on a message board. So I’m less inclined to play along.
There is a meaningful way you could be entitled to vote in the French election and still be you, however, so it isn't quite the same.

There is a meaningful way you could be entitled to vote in the French election and still be you, however, so it isn't quite the same.

How? I don’t think that they give French citizenship away that easily, do they? I’d presumably need to have developed some close personal and professional ties to France before I had any chance of applying, by which time my views on French politics and politicians would have been skewed and influenced by those contacts.

How? I don’t think that they give French citizenship away that easily, do they? I’d presumably need to have developed some close personal and professional ties to France before I had any chance of applying, by which time my views on French politics and politicians would have been skewed and influenced by those contacts.
I mean being able to imagine choosing between National Rally and New United Front isn't quite the same as imagining being a fish. You could marry someone French or work in France for 5 years, somewhat more plausible than transforming yourself into a fish, and even so you can still express a preference without imagining being a citizen.

Is this really where we are that a Labour supporter weasels around whether they'd vote for a Left coalition or (what's essentially) the Front National? I mean wtaf?

Is this really where we are that a Labour supporter weasels around whether they'd vote for a Left coalition or (what's essentially) the Front National? I mean wtaf?

Macron is still an option, I believe. At this stage at least. I very much imagine that En Marche or Together or whatever they are called now would be my preference out of the four options, but if tactical subtleties came into it, my imaginary French wife or colleagues would be strong influences on my choice as my French is barely up to ordering a pain au raisin.

You've become increasingly tetchy of late. U ok hun etc?

Macron is still an option, I believe. At this stage at least. I very much imagine that En Marche or Together or whatever they are called now would be my preference out of the four options, but if tactical subtleties came into it, my imaginary French wife or colleagues would be strong influences on my choice as my French is barely up to ordering a pain au raisin.

"la bite éjaculante" is the phrase you want (for voting obvs, not instead of a pain aux raisins)

Last edited:
65 seats decided so far, including:
38 Rassemblement National - Les Républicains (RN-LR),
21 Nouveau Front populaire (NFP)
2 Ensemble

There will be more by the end of the night.

In those where no candidate has received 50%+ there will be a run off next week, which due to the high turnout could include a large number of three way races, which is not typical.

Map with results:

Back
Top Bottom