Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come the US Left(which is tiny) in its widest sense(eg occupy) but particularly the academics are beginning to influence left politics in this county and not just theory, its going to have an impact on new formations like LU.

This is a really interesting question. US cultural imperialism? I mean I started out reading Noam Chomsky before getting any sort of detailed knowledge of the british working class tradition, I think it's probably the same for a lot of people my age. It reflects how detached a lot of people involved in left politics are from that w/c tradition in their own country, how it's something far more alien to them than the radical american intelligensia.

Just generally I think the US far-left is the last place we need to be looking for guidance. Seriously.

How come the US Left(which is tiny) in its widest sense(eg occupy) but particularly the academics are beginning to influence left politics in this county and not just theory, its going to have an impact on new formations like LU.
Which left politics? What about class politics? Or to put it another way, the mass of working class people.

Cos the remnants of the UK Left are adrift. Bereft of ideas and direction as all their old sureties have disintegrated.

This turn to identity is reassuring and familiar and provides plenty of introversion to substitute for real life.

if you read some of the ideas people are posting on LU blogs, they do have imagination, etc, it is the (being ageist) the old lefties Burgin, etc who seem to be still in a bit of a time vortex.

but kudos to him for letting a thousands flowers bloom, anyone can say they are the organiser for a particular area..

Cos the remnants of the UK Left are adrift. Bereft of ideas and direction as all their old sureties have disintegrated.

This turn to identity is reassuring and familiar and provides plenty of introversion to substitute for real life.
...but this time there is not going to be any jobs for its practioners post town hall and general election victories. What is the state and capital going to put in place to atomise communities and wider society now that the funding for top-down official multi-culturalism has dried up. The ideological construction of 'respectable culture' that i'm always on about is well in the lead at the minute - far ahead of all this "daycare for bourgeois adult babies" stuff damaging as the latter is in helping build a viable response to the former.

this latest one was particularly shit as it wasn't even a fire. The building fucking fell down of its own accord. To make people work in those conditions is criminal.

Their fault for being in that situation in the first place, don't they know how to monetize their hotness? They must be ugly and lazy.

going back to occupy for a minute... i don't regret my short involvement in them at all as it was very educational, and perhaps a few of the kids learnt from me in the way that i learnt from some of the older, more experienced, more politically knowledgeable activists when i was a fey youth *apologies for ego*. but it was clearly a failure, for some very important reasons.

1. no decent politics. it was all things to all people and thus nothing to anyone.
2. too many egos, not enough people cleaning up.
3. a tolerance for stupid views - conspiracy loons etc.
4. not as good at self-policing as it thought it was.
5. whilst laden with an attempt to be inclusive still managed to alienate all the people usually alienated by white middle class movements.
6. paranoid as fuck.
7. which comes from 1-6 -> no clear direction, thus reactionary, thus fizzled out.

some good ideas i saw:

1. working groups -> a useful way of getting things done without the GA nonsense.
2. outreach groups -> building links with local communities to see what they wanted from Occupy, what Occupy could do for them. (but seen as unglamourous, therefore ignored by most occupiers, and media, and essentially couldn't survive once the camps went totally lord of the flies).
3. initially well-organised, able to feed and shelter people well in early days, until those people with organisational skills got fucked off with the whole thing and left.

none of these things are exclusive to occupy.

still, it was an interesting experiment and should provide some lessons for the next big idea! :D

I think one of the problems is that big ideas don't work. It's the gap between what is actually do-able and the fantasy of the big idea that gets filled with such things as checking one's privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom