Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently if you pass the entrance exam you don't need to go through the interviewing process - which is where (I imagine) the subjective "like us" measures start creeping in.
They abolished the exam a while ago AFAIK. Cambridge had when I was applying to university (1984) and it was optional for Oxford. It was very much the worst part of an elitist system. An exam taken two terms before A levels which was harder than A levels and for which private and especially public schools would train pupils for intensively. My school refused to support my application because I refused to do the exam. It was a fucking scam.

Whether or not working class students were put at a disadvantage in the interview route depended on the college and subject. If the tutors doing the interviewing wanted more working class students to get in, it was a lot easier. I wasn't working class but they wanted more women at that time too and they gave me a low offer based on A level results.

The same group of interviewers accepted my best mate despite her having no maths O' level because her school had been too shit to get her through it. That meant they got no LEA fees for her. Then they failed to give her the support she would need to get through first year exam in economics (which she could then give up) and she got kicked out for failing it. Stupid liberals. I think she was too embarrassed to tell anyone she was struggling because we never knew and her tutor clearly didn't care (she was a posh, useless old cunt who only had the teaching gig because her husband was a prof). A posh kid who failed history in the same year and college was allowed to stay because his dad paid for a new boat house.

Horrible place.

no exam when I applied to Oxford in 97. My 6th form college (Henley on Thames, so far from a typical state 6th form, though a wide catchement area so not completely middle class, and no really posh people cos they all went to private schools) had someone who helped with oxbridge applications and we were directed to apply for particular colleges that had had people from our college before or were known to accept higher state school applicants than other colleges.

no exam when I applied to Oxford in 97. My 6th form college (Henley on Thames, so far from a typical state 6th form, though a wide catchement area so not completely middle class, and no really posh people cos they all went to private schools) had someone who helped with oxbridge applications and we were directed to apply for particular colleges that had had people from our college before or were known to accept higher state school applicants than other colleges.

What your school can do like that makes a big difference. Schools with no experience of or teachers with insights into the Oxbridge application process are at a big disadvantage.

Not that improving social mobility is any kind of answer. Fairness is not equality, it just leaves a slightly different composition of people at the top and the same people on the scrapheap.

There are about 30 colleges. They are all responsible for their own admissions procedures. Some will do it like that, but you might as well say that the admissions procedures for Newcastle say something about how Durham does it.

Some colleges give lower offers for medical students from state schools, based on research which shows that working-class students get better degree results than private school counterparts if they got the same A level results.

I wasn't suggesting that this is a blanket policy - i was suggesting that it's one way that one college does it. They may do it more formally but the financial pressure element is always there in selection - on the student and from the college to the student.

Aye.

All of this is tinkering around the edges as far as I'm concerned. Oxford and Cambridge would both be much better at what they do if they could rid themselves of the elitist stench; there's no way they are admitting the students with the greatest academic potential.

But nothing will change whilst we fetishise academic potential above everything else. It's important to have people pushing back the boundaries of knowledge, but they're worth fuck all without people turning that knowledge into material wealth (in which I include less tangible leisure activities; the arts are as important as the sciences). The rewards on offer for highly educated types (for a very restricted definition of "educated") means that privileged parents will always make sure their children get the best shot.

Abolish private schools and the children of the educated middle-class will still have an advantage because their parents can help them more and know people who can help them more. The children of the ill-educated toffs will get private tutors. And people who start out with the most disadvantages in life will still be very likely to remain the most disadvantaged.

Social mobility doesn't matter. Social equality does.

(Not trying to lecture you, butchers. Just a useful opportunity to say it.)

They abolished the exam a while ago AFAIK. Cambridge had when I was applying to university (1984) and it was optional for Oxford. It was very much the worst part of an elitist system. An exam taken two terms before A levels which was harder than A levels and for which private and especially public schools would train pupils for intensively. My school refused to support my application because I refused to do the exam. It was a fucking scam.

Whether or not working class students were put at a disadvantage in the interview route depended on the college and subject. If the tutors doing the interviewing wanted more working class students to get in, it was a lot easier. I wasn't working class but they wanted more women at that time too and they gave me a low offer based on A level results.

The same group of interviewers accepted my best mate despite her having no maths O' level because her school had been too shit to get her through it. That meant they got no LEA fees for her. Then they failed to give her the support she would need to get through first year exam in economics (which she could then give up) and she got kicked out for failing it. Stupid liberals. I think she was too embarrassed to tell anyone she was struggling because we never knew and her tutor clearly didn't care (she was a posh, useless old cunt who only had the teaching gig because her husband was a prof). A posh kid who failed history in the same year and college was allowed to stay because his dad paid for a new boat house.

Horrible place.

Eurgh. Made me think of this quote from the acknowledgements of an interesting book called A Phenomenology of Working Class Experience written by a working class guy from Rotherham called Simon J. Charlesworth, who went to Cambridge and clearly hated it. Some choice quotes

Acknowledgments

This part of the book must have particular significance for someone who ordinarily should never have written one. There is something tragic in achieving literacy to encounter, time and again, the disinterest of publishers and journals alike and one's exclusion from the sites that give sense to the practices of culture... ... After so much unemployment and the waste of so much of my time, it is difficult to feel that what is written here has any value.

Rotherham Tech was the finest, and only real, intellectual experience that I have ever had. And it wasn't simply the teaching that helped us aquire the dispositions and cultural skills to get through A Level and enter university well educated and articulate, it was the atmosphere among the students which was egalitarian, non-hierarchical and based upon unconscious sharing of resources and kindness that helped many of us recover the deficits that state schooling creates and entrenches... ...The atmosphere amongst the students is something I have never forgotten. It was based on a consideration and solidarity that characterizes the best of working class culture. The maturity and the decency of the students I knew at Rotherham tech could never have prepared me for the culture of the English university. The intense decency and qualities of friendship I knew at Rotherham tech had come to seem ever more miraculous as I had to deal with those who infest the English university system.

Whilst university was an experiential black hole for me, sucking all of human value from all I had known and everything that I was, and whilst I went to university without needing much much by way of teaching, I nevertheless owe personal debts to....

At Cambridge I must thank Prof. Geoffrey Hawthorne for being prepared to supervise me when I encountered the cold indifference and critical atmosphere from staff and students alike who manifest a clear disdain for me and a project that seemed too parochial to an international community concerned with issues of a more global import. Geoffrey Hawthorne remains the only person in that department who engages me on anything more than a basis of minimal tolerance....

Mike Fox saved me from the madness of being the only one. We joked that if we ever got through and got published, we'd say that it was in spite of Cambridge University. It is difficult to express how hard it can be living amongst some of the most priviliged people in the world when you come back to (or from) the context described in this work. Little wonder it was so difficult for people to know me. The homogeneity of the elite educational institutions establishes conditions for the most ruthless forms of discrimination that I've ever seen. With so many elite bodies together, there is a savagery to the processes whereby personal relations are constituted that is paid for by the few exceptions that make it into such places.

This sort of belongs here as much as anywhere else I think, because it's the headmaster of Wellington moaning about how hard kids from his school have it when they try to get into Oxbridge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...s-is-hatred-that-dare-not-speak-its-name.html

http://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/3363605668

Anthony Seldon is a LEGEND. He was my history teacher, and is a personal mentor. He's a lot of the reason I am like I am...

You can say that again Laura!

Eurgh. Made me think of this quote from the acknowledgements of an interesting book called A Phenomenology of Working Class Experience written by a working class guy from Rotherham called Simon J. Charlesworth, who went to Cambridge and clearly hated it. Some choice quotes
That's very familiar. There was a group of working-class students at my college who formed a defensive knot to keep the toffs at bay. They were subjected to some appalling treatment by the deeply unpleasant toff group, as was everyone, including the random lesser toff that got singled out every term to be their internal whipping boy. A friend of my flatmate, lovely boy, got involved with them and ended up in long-term psychiatric care. It's a kind of psychological bullying you just don't see anywhere else.

I knew some of the working-class group individually, but not as a group. I shared a bottle of 80% proof Bacardi with one of the guys at a party some time after we left and he said "you always hated me" and I said "no, you assumed I would hate you so you hated me first" and he said "yeah, that's actually true". Can't blame him. The atmosphere was fucking poison, and you could feel it the moment you stepped through the gates on day one.

There are about 30 colleges. They are all responsible for their own admissions procedures. Some will do it like that, but you might as well say that the admissions procedures for Newcastle say something about how Durham does it.

Some colleges give lower offers for medical students from state schools, based on research which shows that working-class students get better degree results than private school counterparts if they got the same A level results.
I don't know of any college, or any course within any college, that doesn't rely on interviews. I've known a few people who've been involved in UG admissions interviews across a range of subjects ('general admissions' senior fellows, languages, hard sciences, physics / maths, engineering... erm. Probably more).

IIRC, all of them have talked about looking for the 'something extra' that is about 'innate capacity / intuition / genius / the Oxbridge factor,' which (interviewers believe / assert) isn't schooled and which isn't interview training. [e2a: someone who shits themselves / says virtually nothing in an interview is likely to be fucked from the off, though. And being used to being in a 15th century oak-panelled room, talking to fellows in an Oxbridge college, is something that many people kinda won't ever have access to, or the ability to prepare for.]

In practice, IMO that leads to a lot of mythologising and self-justification. Eton seems to be incredibly good at selecting people with 'that something extra' at the age of 8 (or whatever), for example, with - a couple of years ago - 44% making it to Oxbridge (IIRC). And I've known a couple of junior interviewers who've been quite explicit that their leads / seniors are pretty clearly old school tie, and've been looking for other people who 'feel right' in that vein. It's a relatively unaccountable process, so those decisions are likely to be the ones that're carried.

There're also additional (social) filters and justifications - there was a G2 report a year or so back in which a reporter sat in on Cam fellows sifting through papers. There were justifications like 'she's already been failed by the school, so would struggle at Cam'; 'wouldn't fit in'; 'would be unfair on her to give her a chance, she'd be better suited to another less strenuous / stressful university'; etc. When in practice, if x college really wanted to, it'd be *easily* able to find the resources to give people who'd been 'let down by their school' additional intensive support.

And then there's the presumption that once people've been accepted, the right choices were made, because there's a belief that the system is pretty damned extraordinary if not quite perfect (because the interviewers are prety damned extraordinary, if not quite perfect). So inordinate pastoral and additional academic support is given to those who've already made it in (that's what Oxbridge is, tbf), the requisite proportion of firsts is given within each group / year, and the system continues to justify itself to itself with only occasional barkings from off stage left.

I'm inclined to think that you could probably dump the entire cohort of successful applicants and take on a full cohort of 'second-choice' candidates; or dump the entire cohort of private school kids and take on only state educated kids for a year; and... well... it'd be interesting to see (IMO) if that had any effect on grades, completion rates, etc whatsoever.

Aye.

All of this is tinkering around the edges as far as I'm concerned. Oxford and Cambridge would both be much better at what they do if they could rid themselves of the elitist stench; there's no way they are admitting the students with the greatest academic potential.
Yeah. But... when I've said something similar in the past... people've pointed out that Oxbridge is embedded in and representative of the social systems. It highlights broader corruption / problems by distilling and focusing them, but is not particularly unique in the way it works. It's a component in a system. And is unlikely to be 'fixable' as a standalone entity whilst the same systemic problems continue to be prevalent / dominant / manifested.

We've recently had a list of internships sent round, being offered / promoted by former college members. (I'm guessing they're mostly unpaid - though it doesn't state that on the list). Oxbridge is just a refinement of earlier biases, corruptions, elitisms and injustices, that're then given the Oxbridge stamp of approval, and which then migrate to the elitist corners of the wider world.

But nothing will change whilst we fetishise academic potential above everything else.
tbf, I came to Cam thinking that it *was* about a neutral fetishisation of academic potential. I now find it really difficult to take that notion seriously, because assessments of 'academic potential' seem to be so heavily filtered by class / privilege. (And then those assessments are retrospectively justified because of the good academic outcomes of people who have extraordinary levels of resourcing poured into their HE).

I don't feel particularly qualified to enter into the politics of this - fully aware I'm inexcusably ignorant. And I'm a MC / privately educated white male at Cambridge, which makes me even more cautious of how much / what I've got to offer :D But, well - Cam has certainly been an eye-opener about the way quite a lot of 'things' / social processes work.

sounds pretty familiar to me, colourfully expressed but ive lived in places like that, not many places in london like that, but when i was younger a walk through where i lived late at night regularly involved some sort of uninvited confrontation, no reason to think its any different now

I used to live on Clapham Park estate in the '80s, which was like a condensation of every tabloid scare-story about "sink estates" and "drug dens" (as they used to be called B.C. [before crack]) into a dozen acres of crumbling urban housing stock, and it was pretty much like that for everyone who lived there.
Same where Greebo and I live now. It used to be a crime pit (we had more serious crimes on our small estate in 1999 than the entirety of the Tulse Hill estate, with about 5 times as many housing units, for the same year), although it's better now (possibly due to the higher average age of most tenants).

Come on - "any walk down the road, trip to the shops, walk to school involves me, the missus and the kids facing threats from any number of smack-head cunts". This is not real. This is Death Wish shit.

Ooooh the missus

Depends where you live. If you have the misfortune to live somewhere where the main gathering area for the local heroin-users "waiting for the man" happens to be on your route to the local shops/amenities then it can be an everyday experience. If those lurkers happen to be crack-users then the threats can be verbal as well as merely hanging in the air in some kind of miasma of menace.

I used to live on Clapham Park estate in the '80s, which was like a condensation of every tabloid scare-story about "sink estates" and "drug dens" (as they used to be called B.C. [before crack]) into a dozen acres of crumbling urban housing stock, and it was pretty much like that for everyone who lived there.
Same where Greebo and I live now. It used to be a crime pit (we had more serious crimes on our small estate in 1999 than the entirety of the Tulse Hill estate, with about 5 times as many housing units, for the same year), although it's better now (possibly due to the higher average age of most tenants).
Similar here. Little Siberia early/mid 70s and the Clockwork Orange estate late 70s/early 80s and my folks are still there. Both of those are better now and yep I think you're right that higher average age (but also better transportation links) might have made a difference.

bradford was very divided with the punks/goths/heavy metal people and bikers (and fuck did we need the bikers) all kind of bunched up in a few pubs around the university, which wasnt very fair and meant quite a lot of students got hurt

but outside of the internal fighting, which there was quite a lot of, there was a long running feud with bradford ointment (the bradford city local firm who were very nf at the time) and a local muslim gang who ran lots of the curry houses and cab ranks in the area, due to some stabbing that might once of happened to someone at some point

it was insanely violent, and if you drank in the city centre at night then you'd be dragged into it. when i moved to london everyone went on about how 'rough' it was going to be and put me in touch with various dodgy geezers if i got in trouble - i couldnt believe when i got settled and realised southerners really are soft as shite.

Better central heating means less of a need to warm up through fighting. ;)

Damien Shannon! No fuckin' way. :D:D:D

He spent every minute he was at Salford Uni filing FOI requests and sending crankish emails to the Vice Chancellor. Has anyone here heard of the Gary Duke case? It's been covered in Private Eye. He's an SWP member from Salford who they wouldn't let finish his PhD coz of his involvement in the anti-cuts protests at Salford uni. Damien was involved in helping with that, specifically with FOI requests to the senior staff. If I remember right, the uni once raided his room campus trying to find god-knows-what, he got quite a hard time to be honest. He's a good lad, even if he is a bit of a Tory. Last I heard he had a job with the civil service, but I'm not surprised still upto his old tricks.

He ran as the Lib Dem council candidate (from his own mouth "They're desperate, they'll run anyone, no waiting list, nothing") for Irwell Riverside in Salford against another serial FOI pest Gary Tumulty of the BNP back in 2010. Between them they must have the most number of Freedom of Information requests of any council ward in England.

Misread that the first time, sorry. That is university-wide policy for postgrads. Nothing to do with St Hugh's. It's only undergraduates who apply through the college system.

All postgrads have to prove they have fees plus ten grand a year to live on. Most non-rich postgrads are funded by grants rather than loans, but proof of access to loans is fine AFAIK. Bizarrely, running out of money to live on is not considered a good enough reason for suspending postgrad studies so if you do, you're fucked unless you can dig up some medical excuse.

Postgraduate places have always been dominated by overseas students because rich people the world over want to send their kids to Oxford. Unlike the undergraduate entrance, postgrads are pretty much guaranteed a place if they have the money. The number of British postgrads depends on the number of grants being dished out by the various grant-awarding bodies (fewer since their funding was cut) and the accessibility of loans for shorter courses which people are more likely to be able to fund for themselves.

Come on - "any walk down the road, trip to the shops, walk to school involves me, the missus and the kids facing threats from any number of smack-head cunts". This is not real. This is Death Wish shit.

Hang on, you used to live in Philadelphia. So you'll know that the above is true of approximately 50% of that city. Is London all that different these days?

That's very familiar. There was a group of working-class students at my college who formed a defensive knot to keep the toffs at bay. They were subjected to some appalling treatment by the deeply unpleasant toff group, as was everyone, including the random lesser toff that got singled out every term to be their internal whipping boy. A friend of my flatmate, lovely boy, got involved with them and ended up in long-term psychiatric care. It's a kind of psychological bullying you just don't see anywhere else.

I knew some of the working-class group individually, but not as a group. I shared a bottle of 80% proof Bacardi with one of the guys at a party some time after we left and he said "you always hated me" and I said "no, you assumed I would hate you so you hated me first" and he said "yeah, that's actually true". Can't blame him. The atmosphere was fucking poison, and you could feel it the moment you stepped through the gates on day one.

Nothing like your experience but when I was looking around prospective unis I had a trip to Warwick. Within an hour of being on campus I felt out of place and very conscious of my accent. The thought of spending three years there... no way. I am not even PFWC.

Nothing like your experience but when I was looking around prospective unis I had a trip to Warwick. Within an hour of being on campus I felt out of place and very conscious of my accent. The thought of spending three years there... no way. I am not even PFWC.
Yep. Same at Edinburgh - the only people who wanted to speak to me were staff. The thought of spending time there not speaking to anyone brought me out in a cold sweat.

Yep. Same at Edinburgh - the only people who wanted to speak to me were staff. The thought of spending time there not speaking to anyone brought me out in a cold sweat.

I think I told this story on MATB, but it's relevant here also. Sitting in my room in QUB I had a knock on the door from a colleague who was in a bit of a panic. The reason for his panic was that he'd found this young lad sitting on the step outside our building, either comatose or dead.

I went out and we rang for an ambulance, and he revived just as the ambulance arrived. He was obviously in a bad state - tripping on something or other - but as he had no visible injury, the ambo men couldn't insist that he went with them. He refused to go with them, so we brought him inside and sat him down.

I asked him what the problem was, and he started talking about killing himself. When I asked him why, he said "well I've had trouble making friends". Well, why is that, I said.

In a very posh accent, not just posh for Belfast, but posh, he said, "Oh, these people . . . they're beneath me".

OK. . . I think I see where you're doing it wrong. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom