Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
You speak of "her privilege": what is this?

Yes, she went to Brighton College, but was that paid for by the college, was she a scholarship gal? I don't know. Do you?

As far as going to Oxford Uni, that's not being privileged: she didn't buy her place, entry is competitive (with quasi-quotas for those without the highest 'A'-level grades), so she got there as a result of her OWN efforts. That's not been privileged, that's the result of working hard, applying herself. (In many ways going to a so-called elite uni can be a burden, rather than a privilege, as it denies the student an everyday interaction with the variety of people making up Britain today.)

For all we know she may be carrying the rich man's burden. (And after all, she's only 26 - something Martin Smith is fully aware of.)

Just saying.

Are you Laurie?

url
Isn't that Fred West? Worrying, to say the least.

Something else just struck me about the radio thingy - a small thing, but quite telling in so far as Laurie's chameleoning around for the position of most advantage (if this is fearless then my cock's a kipper). In there she says "quote COMMENTARIAT unquote" with an almost audible eye-roll, as if it's such a stupid fucking word she would never use it herself. Apart from in the speech she gave upon acceptance of the award from among others the Fawkes blog twats:

Laurie Penny said:
Social media has been an energising and empowering force for the British commentariat, rearranging some of the old hierarchies and allowing young people and those outside the mainstream press to amplify voices that would otherwise go unheard.

Huh. Is that the house that Nick owns? You'd think he'd give her mate's rates.

What, and forego a half-dozen bottles of vin rouge a week? Not likely!

Her room is a damn sight larger than a standard bog, too, unless her idea of the size of a normal bog is 8ft x 5ft plus.

Imagine that. Mates living in a shared house, like a family. The subtext is look at how we're having to live.

To be fair, Sticky, it's becoming more and more a standard housing trope, what with almost zero availability of social housing, plus static or increasing private rents and house prices.

What, and forego a half-dozen bottles of vin rouge a week? Not likely!

Her room is a damn sight larger than a standard bog, too, unless her idea of the size of a normal bog is 8ft x 5ft plus.

I think the room she compared to was in a shared house, NOT the one in Lezard's gaffe. That one she compared to a hovel. Which I expect compared to what she has been used to most of her life is one. To me it looks much nicer than about half of the rooms I lived in during a few years moving around shared houses.

given what martin smith is suspected of i don't think its particularly amusing to imagine him alone with anyone

I was more thinking of the implications for a bloke who only likes to "get stuck in" when he's in control or he's mob-handed. Martin Smith visiting someone alone, someone not dependent on him or beholden to him, would probably mostly result in a slapping for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom