Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, I know. Can't help but detect an undercurrent of "why should Oxbridge graduates have to live like this?".

And why can't they be spokespersons of *insert group* because they're standing on the outside looking in.

You speak of "her privilege": what is this?

Yes, she went to Brighton College, but was that paid for by the college, was she a scholarship gal? I don't know. Do you?

As far as going to Oxford Uni, that's not being privileged: she didn't buy her place, entry is competitive (with quasi-quotas for those without the highest 'A'-level grades), so she got there as a result of her OWN efforts. That's not been privileged, that's the result of working hard, applying herself. (In many ways going to a so-called elite uni can be a burden, rather than a privilege, as it denies the student an everyday interaction with the variety of people making up Britain today.)

For all we know she may be carrying the rich man's burden. (And after all, she's only 26 - something Martin Smith is fully aware of.)

Just saying.

You cant help what school you go to and to a lesser extent/ up to a point, the same is true of University at 18 or whatever.You cant help being born M/C.Shes blates very clever, but I have yet to read anything that isnt uninspired & derivative - this isnt the birth of a New Hitchens, despite the fawning of media to get her take on things.

Its the gleeful donning of this media friendly, acceptable , lefty commentary image and radical branding that this self promoting, needy 26 year old works so hard at is what get on people tits.

innit

Aye, I know. Can't help but detect an undercurrent of "why should Oxbridge graduates have to live like this?".

Fuck undercurrents! I've seen and heard enough cases of her peers actually saying this shit to the media to believe it's an overt current!

Expropriating the goods of the bourgeoisie for general use is only to be applauded, comrade. The kulaks won't miss it where they're going!

belbaltlag_detail.jpg

'For winter sports visit snowy Belbaltlag, part of the Gulag Group. 250,000 wooden beds. One bath. Cuisine by a former chef on a lifer. Huge staff always attentive and vigilant. Once visited, NEVER left...'

You cant help what school you go to and to a lesser extent/ up to a point, the same is true of University at 18 or whatever.You cant help being born M/C.Shes blates very clever, but I have yet to read anything that isnt uninspired & derivative - this isnt the birth of a New Hitchens, despite the fawning of media to get her take on things.

Its the gleeful donning of this media friendly, acceptable , lefty commentary image and radical branding that this self promoting, needy 26 year old works so hard at is what get on people tits.

innit
I'd never heard of Ms Penny until today. From the few of her articles that I've read you are correct in saying her work is uninspiring & derivative. She's boring &, more importantly, naive, even for a 26 year old.

I find it dispiriting such an untalented person gets so much attention. Her efforts so far deserve only to be ignored. She should be left alone for a decade or so to give herself an opportunity to acquire some fundamental learning.

Obviously, in all likelihood, she won't take advantage of this opportunity: she strikes me as shallow, needy, self-loathing (not narcissistic), insecure; she has found a little fame, is greatly gladdened by this, & will do what she has to do to stay in the weak limelight shining upon her.

It doesn't surprise me she found release in anorexia, & I'm sure that is just one episode of 'failing' in her life so far & in her life to come. She will probably pen more than one volume of misery memoir - let's just hope Martin Smith doesn't make an appearance. It would not surprise me if in these memoirs she were to write of having been a prostitute - partly out of undertaking fieldwork for some articles, partly out of a way to cope with her insecurity, her need to be liked, & her self-loathing.

It doesn't surprise me she found release in anorexia, & I'm sure that is just one episode of 'failing' in her life so far & in her life to come. She will probably pen more than one volume of misery memoir - let's just hope Martin Smith doesn't make an appearance. It would not surprise me if in these memoirs she were to write of having been a prostitute - partly out of undertaking fieldwork for some articles, partly out of a way to cope with her insecurity, her need to be liked, & her self-loathing.

you, sir, are a prick.

I'd never heard of Ms Penny until today. From the few of her articles that I've read you are correct in saying her work is uninspiring & derivative. She's boring &, more importantly, naive, even for a 26 year old.

I find it dispiriting such an untalented person gets so much attention. Her efforts so far deserve only to be ignored. She should be left alone for a decade or so to give herself an opportunity to acquire some fundamental learning.

Obviously, in all likelihood, she won't take advantage of this opportunity: she strikes me as shallow, needy, self-loathing (not narcissistic), insecure; she has found a little fame, is greatly gladdened by this, & will do what she has to do to stay in the weak limelight shining upon her.

Added unpleasant to boring, heading towards dire.

Louis MacNeice

Okay, that is particularly nasty. Add in the rape jokes and naming and this is one newbie who I think might be advised to look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom