Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to take that point one stage further ...

Bias isn't just possible, it's probable. Everyone does it, consciously or not. And not all bias equates to unlawful discimination either, it can be as simple as preferring a candidate with gardening as a hobby as opposed to, say, playing a musical instrument.

But because bias can result in perpetuating imbalances in the workplace; recruitment, reorganising, training, promotion etc have to be looked at carefully. So for example someone should be looking at job descriptions/person specs ( at whatever stage) and saying "hang on, you don't need a degree for this" "you don't need 3 years work experience to do that, a school leaver could do it" "you don't stop being able to do that job at 65" "you don't need written and spoken English for that" and so on. There's a whole raft of checks and measures that should be in place to try and address structural inequalities.

Not box ticking. Not gathering (intrusive) data by way of EO monitoring forms then filing the forms in a dusty corner. Not quotas instead of (as unbiased as possible) merit.

None of it happens overnight and working towards a situation where you don't have to spend bloody hours arguing why women are just as capable as men of taking an inside leg measurement has taken decades to achieve. So LP swanning up and tritely advocating quota systems which are already proven to fail, just shows the depth of her lack of understanding. And it's pretty bloody galling to say the least.

Agree with all this, but Laurie didn't advocate quota systems did she? I've had a quick look back and I couldn't see a post where she did - she said she didn't like the whole women in boardrooms thing, and "quotas are not the problem, structural inequality is the problem" and agreed quotas encourage tokenism.

Agree with all this, but Laurie didn't advocate quota systems did she? I've had a quick look back and I couldn't see a post where she did - she said she didn't like the whole women in boardrooms thing, and "quotas are not the problem, structural inequality is the problem" and agreed quotas encourage tokenism.

She'd have a job on justifying quotas. If there was a quota for commentators in the msm, then there wouldn't be a slot for a public school/ Oxbridge candidate till about 2035.

I'm referring to #10753 and her response at #10754. And proposed quotas (for women in boardrooms in this context) *are* a problem.

Most building work is by word of mouth but that hasn't stopped its workforce changing
True. But the point isn't that one thing on its own (word of mouth advertising) is responsible for structural inequality, it's lots of aspects of which word of advertising is one and not always the largest one depending on industry etc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/04/high-rail-fares-strangers-on-trains

LP's latest article - mostly sensible, although mostly obvious to many on urban especially those in the transport forum.

She's interviewed the EDL a couple of weeks back, I was going to read the article but then I realised it was Vice magazine. I don't think I could stomach a double whammy of shit that day so bookmarked it to read later.

Occasionally she will write something that is actually quite good. It's when she doesn't have to make stuff up, (such as when she fabricated a jumper. She was at some occupy protest and miraculously found an Obama 08 tshirt that in a nearby gutter, no doubt wrapped around a child's shoe) and talks about things she does actually have some insight into... beyond asking Twitter to write her essays.

I'm referring to #10753 and her response at #10754. And proposed quotas (for women in boardrooms in this context) *are* a problem.

ok, I didn't really understand her post #10754 tbh, as a response to your post I don't see it advocating quota systems, but arguing that quota systems don't discriminate against anyone. I wasn't sure what it was a response to though when I read through the thread.

ok, I didn't really understand her post #10754 tbh, as a response to your post I don't see it advocating quota systems, but arguing that quota systems don't discriminate against anyone. I wasn't sure what it was a response to though when I read through the thread.
I'm still not sure that she sees that quota systems *do* discriminate against people, and that they *are* a problem, tbh.

Who is your favourite author of all time and why?

I reject the premise of the question. But if you locked me in a room for a month and told me I was only allowed to read the works of one author, I'd probably go for the entire works of Terry Pratchett - hilarious, moving, deeply inventive and furiously moral.
*Blinks*

lol

And there's more.
I've always suspected that those of us who live our young lives through books get a head start when we finally explode into the world, hungry for love and adventure and sex and danger, because we've read all the instructions first.
'Headstarts' have nothing to do with 30k a year schools and attendant networks and privileges eh? Get to fuck.

Not about to berate someone for their choice in books but if I was a big fan of Terry Pratchett...I'd probably keep that to myself.

If you're reading him for the first time then he is quite good, inventive and funny. Then by the time you're reading a third TP book you've realised that it's the same jokes and ideas repeated differently. He's not a shit author by any means but I don't think he's amazing. He's popular because he's accessible and easy to build up a collection.

If you're reading him for the first time then he is quite good, inventive and funny. Then by the time you're reading a third TP book you've realised that it's the same jokes and ideas repeated differently. He's not a shit author by any means but I don't think he's amazing. He's popular because he's accessible and easy to get into.
And there's nothing wrong with that. It's literary candy, probably not great in massive quantities, but very fulfilling as a quick snack.

Like a Cream Egg it's something you rapidly get sick of.

What books of TP's are moving, out of interest? I have read about half a dozen and none struck me as moving?

If you're reading him for the first time then he is quite good, inventive and funny. Then by the time you're reading a third TP book you've realised that it's the same jokes and ideas repeated differently. He's not a shit author by any means but I don't think he's amazing. He's popular because he's accessible and easy to build up a collection.
Decent pulp stuff for kids. I gave mine away years ago. She should've said Eoin Colfer.

She could have said Ian Banks which would have been worse.

Moving? Didn't say that did I? I think they're amusing at best, and a bit lackadaisical at worst.

Laurie said they were moving, I was wondering if you were aware if any that were moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom