Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially as you'd have thought, under normal circumstances, they'd be far more likely to want to write about unfounded accusations of racism and misogyny (pc gawn mad etc) than about an exceedingly silly cartoon.

How? In what way?

What difference have her musings made? Even within the bubble?

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but if she becomes THE face of the left, then what she says is de facto the left position*. So the challenge to right wing viewpoints comes from a weak position in which class is never an issue. You might argue that's the case now, but if crap privilege politics is cemented as the only way to express left wing views, then anything further to the left (real class politics) becomes extremism/loony left.

*whoever mentioned this earlier thought it might be a good thing, but I'm not convinced.

hate to say it firky, but i did tell you it would end up like this

Yeah, I hazard a guess it would happen this week or next, either on standalone blog or her own. Didn't expect to see in the Telegraph though. I still don't feel I should apologise for the cartoon (even though it turns out I did and forgot- cheers zopiclone!) as the cartoon is not her as a person, most people 'get' that. I even had tweets from her followers who pretty much told her the same thing but no... it is more convenient for her (and her type) to take it literally. If only I had the artistic panache of Steve Bell or Molly.

Can't access the website yet - but will take a look shortly when get to a computer. I can pretty much guess how it goes... I'd be interested if the author of the article got to be a journalist working on the coal face or is another "automatic Oxbridge route", does anyone know? (E2A Ah, I see Bristles has already dug htat out.)

Got a message of f Sabcat saying something about a blog, again didn't have a chance to look at it so I guess it is the same thing.

Didn't storm front used to refer to u75 as such?

I referred to the boards as Turban69 when talking to someone who said it (Urban75) was full of "pakis and puffs", if that is what you're thinking? Was years ago though.

Very strange, too, that they've never felt the need to comment on the far, far worse things that turn up on Laurie's twitter feed. It's almost as if they're using her as a tool to attack the left isn't it? Of course I'm not cynical enough to believe that but it's certainly plausible.

She might be a useful idiot to them. She's radical in all the wrong ways, so if they can help her become 'the voice of the left' then half their job is done for them.

Hmmm, bit tin-foil that, like. :D

Yeah, I hazard a guess it would happen this week or next, either on standalone blog or her own. Didn't expect to see in the Telegraph though. I still don't feel I should apologise for the cartoon (even though it turns out I did and forgot- cheers zopiclone!) as the cartoon is not her as a person, most people 'get' that. I even had tweets from her followers who pretty much told her the same thing but no... it is more convenient for her (and her type) to take it literally. If only I had the artistic panache of Steve Bell or Molly.

Can't access the website yet - but will take a look shortly when get to a computer. I can pretty much guess how it goes... I'd be interested if the author of the article got to be a journalist working on the coal face or is another "automatic Oxbridge route", does anyone know?

Got a message of f Sabcat saying something about a blog, again didn't have a chance to look at it so I guess it is the same thing.

I referred to the boards as Turban69 when talking to someone who said it (Urban75) was full of "pakis and puffs", if that is what you're thinking? Was years ago though.

Could have been, aye. And yes, he/she was an Oxbridge shoe-in.

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but if she becomes THE face of the left, then what she says is de facto the left position*. So the challenge to right wing viewpoints comes from a weak position in which class is never an issue. You might argue that's the case now, but if crap privilege politics is cemented as the only way to express left wing views, then anything further to the left (real class politics) becomes extremism/loony left.

*whoever mentioned this earlier thought it might be a good thing, but I'm not convinced.

Yeah. That's the effect she really has. But that's not something you can claim to make her the 55th most influential person on the left...

Very strange, too, that they've never felt the need to comment on the far, far worse things that turn up on Laurie's twitter feed. It's almost as if they're using her as a tool to attack the left isn't it? Of course I'm not cynical enough to believe that but it's certainly plausible.

No...more than plausible. Taking everything else into account it's the most probable explanation...whether or not she's actually complicit or just exceedingly naive and impressionable. I favour the latter. I think she's definitely well meaning; just one of those useful idiots whose idiocy is heightened by inexperience. After all she was shilling for the lib deems a few years back. Her career as an anarcho- femi-syndicalist-activist...or whatever she calls herself is only in its infancy.

A bit like Ulrike Meinhof only much less constructive and a lot more whiney?

hvZzS.jpg

I can't say this isn't a possibility, or even that it's not likely. I just reckon that stuff like this can get on top of people pretty easily over time,and her immediate reaction to the cartoon could go like that imo without it being calculated, and for whatever reason I'm tending to give her the benefit of the doubt over that, partly just cos I think it's a bit out of order to tell anyone what you want for christmas is them to be beaten up unless you know they are going to know it's a joke.

stupid cartoon tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom