Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops! :D I don't have a photographic memory that stretches as far back as 15 pages of this interminable thread.

And if I did recall something from 15 pages back I would seriously give some consideration to this...

images

you should be refreshing every 30 seconds, and not sleeping. no fucking commitment.

I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I don't actually think that it's particularly surprising or wildly unreasonable that L. Penny is hostile to anyone associated with this thread. She really does get a huge amount of unjustified (and often misogynist) abuse online, which is necessarily going to make anyone defensive and/or uninterested in engaging with the content of online criticism. And even leaving that aside, if I came across a thread online with 8,000 comments about what a dickhead I am, I'm pretty sure I'd sulk about it too. Even if thousands of those critical points were fully justified.

Any views on the content that she publishes or are you just taking an SP version of the Daily Telegraph line

I suspect that the racist nonsense came from a quick glance at the IWCA article, or possibly just its title, followed up by a silly refusal to back down when arguing with people she has pretty understandable reason to feel attacked by. Or, perhaps I'm being soft and she really does think, from an American-liberal-identity-politics sort of direction, that criticism of state-multiculturalism is automatically racist.

I can't believe this would be the case. She has said:

Ally Fogg@AllyFogg
@pastachips My own respect for LP goes up every time she admits to having been wrong about something and changing her mind. That's not easy

Laurie Penny@PennyRed
@AllyFogg @pastachips I believe it's called growing up. No desire to freeze intellectually at the age I got my first column, as some fo. :)

See, she's a grown up and can back down when she's wrong.

New Statesman columnist criticises "privilege" theory, while mostly missing the more important problems with it:
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2012/12/problem-privilege-checking

^ That's a bit of a shite article for a number of reasons, but I haven't got time to get into them. However one of the articles he links to is much closer to the money imo

http://offbeatempire.com/2012/10/liberal-bullying

This made me laugh

My big challenge as a publisher is knowing how to respond to this kind of feedback, which comes in almost daily. Sometimes it feels like I have two options:
  • Acquiesce to every complaint of anyone anywhere on the internet, until we're putting trigger warnings at the top of posts that mention balloons because some people are globophobic (TRUE STORY!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom