Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs the accompany tweets for full effect. Along the lines of poor little old me just got attacked. iirc implied she had been physically attacked and it was entirely unprovoked.

The way she was trying to respond at the end was just like when you know someone's lying. She was desperately trying to come up with something to say that would put Starkey in the wrong, and her in the right, and the audience were having none of it.

She's a joke.

'Skype' is a company which offers a 'VOIP' - that's 'voice over internet protocol' - service. 'Skype' is also sometimes used generically, in much the same way as 'hoover' or 'poratakabin' are, to refer to all VOIP services.

Basically, instead of your phone being a tin can at one end of the telephone company's long piece of string, with the phone of the person you're calling being the other tin can, yours and their computers are the tin cans, and the whole of the internet is the string. Because you are already connected to (and paying for) the internet, the call costs nothing.

With Skype, you install a bit of software on your computer, and you register an account (for free) under a unique username, which acts much the same as a unique telephone number. You can then make calls to anyone else with a Skype account who is online at the same time as you, for free. You can make voice calls, or video calls (if you have a webcam).

You can also use the Skype system (and other VOIP systems) to access the regular telephony system - ie you can call real telephones, anywhere in the world using your computer. This costs money, because you are accessing telephone company string, but it is (in general) cheaper than just using your mobile or landline. To do this you buy credit from Skype.

Finally, you can also purchase a 'telephone number' from Skype if you want, which can be useful for a variety of reasons. People using mobiles or landlines will be able to dial that number to reach you, just like a regular telephone number.

This has been a Public Information Post.

Fucking hell - don't think I'll bother with that - I still haven't really sussed twitter out yet.

This is the thing, though-I don't want to split hairs. (I can't believe you've counted though; has to go down with the ref's compliation of all the times I've claimed to have been misinterpreted.:D)

took about two clicks and about 20 seconds to find out using the search function - i know you're concerned about that 'energy' being 'taken up' (what exactly do you think are the alternatives that energy could be put to use to out of interest, given your somewhat pessimistic outlook on what is and what isn't possible politically these days) but come on, we all have radical downtime that we like to spend in ways that suits ourselves, stop trying to police how it's spent with your 'concerns'

The way she was trying to respond at the end was just like when you know someone's lying. She was desperately trying to come up with something to say that would put Starkey in the wrong, and her in the right, and the audience were having none of it.

She's a joke.

Reminds me of Asher D's merking at the hands of The Stigosaurus

Fucking hell - don't think I'll bother with that - I still haven't really sussed twitter out yet.

skypes easy, a simpleton can master it- i am living proof of this. My nan is in her dotage and knows how to use skype. Its way easier than twitter to work out. Less banal as well.

Or, better still, a photo.

This wouldn't be a good time to scan and post some of the more choice images from my collection of nearly 200 true crime books, would it?

On the other hand, if we're thinking of preparing that most enticing dish 'roasted journo with offal' I'd be more than happy to provide an illustrated list of serving suggestions.

I didn't write that article personally (had some input to it from what i remember though). I've certainly had no communication from Laurie Penny since she called me a racist for posting a link of it to her and then blocked me

I've emailed the person who did write it though to see if her story checks out, i would be amazed if it did though

well as expected no one has heard from her, so she has some explaining to do - check IWCA twitter page for our response to her

Proabably a "jew" or two thrown about, too.

True, although the Judaeophobia on hard-right sites seems to come and go in waves, whereas the "red peril" is omnipresent.
They're don't use the word "liberal" as a perjorative nearly enough, either.

What's weird is the standard of debate is higher with them than LP. :hmm:

Most of the boneheads and their brighter siblings don't have well-paying careers to worry about, so let fly with what they actually think, rather than filtering their views through what they think their "public" would like to see. :)

Hey! Kids! It doesn't matter what you are - punks, skins, rastas, mods, rockers, Keith Chegwin even - everybody everywhere, stop snogging and pay attention to me! 'Cause if you're a wild-eyed loner at the gates of oblivion, then hitch a ride with us, 'cause we're riding on the last freedom moped out of nowhere, and we haven't even told our parents what time we're coming home!

True, although the Judaeophobia on hard-right sites seems to come and go in waves, whereas the "red peril" is omnipresent.
They're don't use the word "liberal" as a perjorative nearly enough, either.

Most of the boneheads and their brighter siblings don't have well-paying careers to worry about, so let fly with what they actually think, rather than filtering their views through what they think their "public" would like to see. :)

Correct on both accounts, of course. Obama will be the latest threat on right-wing sites at the minute (gun control - might be worth a visit to SF for the lolz) and LP has nothing to gain by debate, so yeah...:(

This wouldn't be a good time to scan and post some of the more choice images from my collection of nearly 200 true crime books, would it?

I had a mate who used to go up the West End (of London, you parochial types! :p ) every couple of weekends, and rob Foyles' bookshop blind. He always went for illustrated true crime books (mostly US imprints) and pathology text books. He made collages of the pictures - even sold a few to fellow "black metallers". :)

On the other hand, if we're thinking of preparing that most enticing dish 'roasted journo with offal' I'd be more than happy to provide an illustrated list of serving suggestions.

Served with mixed vegetables a la Hundal (overcooked, overwrought, bland)?

Hey! Kids! It doesn't matter what you are - punks, skins, rastas, mods, rockers, Keith Chegwin even - everybody everywhere, stop snogging and pay attention to me! 'Cause if you're a wild-eyed loner at the gates of oblivion, then hitch a ride with us, 'cause we're riding on the last freedom moped out of nowhere, and we haven't even told our parents what time we're coming home!

Ben Elton is claiming plagiarism. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom