Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff just reminds me why I had to get away from these sorts of privilege/identity politic spaces (even as someone who saw/still sees some value in it) - every discussion just got closed down with this sort of 'racist/sexist/homophobic' accusation without barely analysing anything.

And class/capital based stuff was nearly always pushed into the background.

It's good for links to info, but you can't really discuss anything. It's the equivalent of shouting something shouty through someone's letterbox and running away.

It confuses the f'ck out of me, twitter. I can only really use it and follow it on a proper computer with multiple windows open. It's not meant for discussion though is it, it's more LISTEN TO ME!

:D

I think you will find I did defend the trauma team or whatever they were called and I stand by that:p
A mate of mine was involved with that. He's currently holed up somewhere in Norfolk writing a book on Genoa. Been nearly ten years in the making, I hope it's gonna be worth reading!

It's like Marcuse's Two Dimensional Man. What is being criticized of Laurie is something that comes from a whole journalistic culture.
Yeah, I took that to be your point, but think it is the point of the thread too (is for me any way), she's just the prominent example de jour and not backwards in pushing herself forwards as regards issues of interest to people here (I presume).

It confuses the f'ck out of me, twitter. I can only really use it and follow it on a proper computer with multiple windows open. It's not meant for discussion though is it, it's more LISTEN TO ME!

Yes I find twitter shit too, even when people are kindly posting screen grabs I can't work out who's talking to who or what. Just LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY! - it's the perfect mode of communication for coked-up media tossers, shout loud, shout often, shout with confidence, ignore any responses you don't like, stay 5 seconds ahead, but 5 seconds ahead permanently.

Yes I find twitter shit too, even when people are kindly posting screen grabs I can't work out who's talking to who or what. Just LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY! - it's the perfect mode of communication for coked-up media tossers, shout loud, shout often, shout with confidence, ignore any responses you don't like, stay 5 seconds ahead, but 5 seconds ahead permanently.
But how else would I know if Stephen Fry was in a lift or not?

Also, "this is why we can't have nice things" - that's what a patronising mother says to her children when they are having a tantrum. Hard to get more condescending than that.
Designed to as well - and all based on her knowledge of her relative privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom