Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some sympathy with him - having Ellie on (with the trendy vicar) plays up to this "young, naive, worthy, idealistic" thing, in contrast to the worldly-wise and expert tax professionals. Having another sober, grey suited boring looking accountant talk about how the whole thing is a massive fucking scam undermines this.

This time last year.
I've lost count of the number of times I've been told that because I have a smartphone and went to a private school, I have no business speaking about social justice.

At root, this argument is about a fear of ideology: a terror of real political and economic alternatives in a society that would still rather group people into warring tribes based on income and lifestyle. The left is not entirely immune from this sort of lazy reasoning.
Now.

Laurie Penny@PennyRed
@johnb78 point is that Robinson is a small businessman, and has a pile of money. No working-class hero.

laura said:
If you follow this blog regularly - well, firstly, thank you, and secondly, I'd seriously urge you to consider subscribing to Red Pepper if you can, or to donate online if you're a web reader. The lovely powers that be let me do pretty much what I want with this blog, but I do write additional stuff for the print edition, and it's an all-round awesome publication which deserves a lot more attention than it's getting.

Laura should meet Niamh Nic Mhathuna.

Mind you, Women in Ireland have spent fucking ages trying to get the church off their backs, I don't think they'll be too keen on another saviour.

Pretty sure she said her (great?) grand dad was a Russian Jewish emigrant. Wouldn't stop her other 3 grand parents being Irish of course but i wonder how long it'll be until she has more that 4 Grand parents..

Probably an ancestor of Fredrick Douglas too. Got to cover all bases.

pg-22-carson-rex.jpg

In one awful way, I have to admire her drive - she has pulled herself up by her bootstraps - Shes carved out a decent life for herself innit - jetting around, talking shite - not bad for an Oxbridge public school girl on the poverty line.

In one awful way, I have to admire her drive - she has pulled herself up by her bootstraps - Shes carved out a decent life for herself innit - jetting around, talking shite - not bad for an Oxbridge public school girl on the poverty line.
she must be in touch with plenty of friends from private school and oxford who are earning telephone numbers. That probably keeps her feeling edgy and martyred.

yeah i swear she said something last year accusing somebody of anti-semitism when they criticised her. that might just be me imagining things tho

she must be in touch with plenty of friends from private school and oxford who are earning telephone numbers. That probably keeps her feeling edgy and martyred.

And she always seems to be in touch, Harri like, with unidentified/unattributed people whose personal situation exactly matches whatever topic she's writing about

(although saying that, apart from her usual appropriating usage of 'our' and 'we' her recent guardian article wasn't too bad, well i mean there wasn't as much wrong with it as is usually the case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom