Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Alex Callinicos/SWP vs Laurie Penny/New Statesman Facebook handbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mucky shoes of deranged eco-liberalism lounging raffishly upon the sturdy bench of proletarianism.

mark-oaten_1854405c.jpg

In their book: The Boy Looked at Johnny Burchill and Parsons praise speed as a drug of choice. Burchill in particular looks on the verge of a psychosis in that image.

Brightest minds of their generation right? Along with, for some odd reason on a parallel with AYATOLLAH'S excoriation of the singer from def leppard, shere hite.

Burchill and Parsons book is pretty dull. Shere Hite's research into clitoral stimulation and orgasm on the other hand.

Back ontopic LP is doing a large speaking tour in Germany over the date of the big march.

http://www.edition-nautilus.de/programm/politik/buch-978-3-89401-755-2.html

In German, it all sounds much tougher:

Laurie Penny, 25, gemäß Selbstauskunft Journalistin, Autorin, Bloggerin, Feministin, Sozialistin, Utopistin, Querulantin und Unruhestifterin. Lebt in London und versucht, die Welt in Ordnung zu bringen. Sie trinkt zu viel Tee und hat noch immer nicht das Rauchen aufgegeben.

Laurie Penny, 25, self-described journalist, author, blogger, feminist, utopian, querulant and trouble-maker. Lives in London and tries to bring the world to right. She drinks too much tea and has not yet abandoned smoking.

Back ontopic LP is doing a large speaking tour in Germany over the date of the big march.

http://www.edition-nautilus.de/programm/politik/buch-978-3-89401-755-2.html

In German, it all sounds much tougher:

Laurie Penny, 25, gemäß Selbstauskunft Journalistin, Autorin, Bloggerin, Feministin, Sozialistin, Utopistin, Querulantin und Unruhestifterin. Lebt in London und versucht, die Welt in Ordnung zu bringen. Sie trinkt zu viel Tee und hat noch immer nicht das Rauchen aufgegeben.

Laurie Penny, 25, self-described journalist, author, blogger, feminist, utopian, querulant and trouble-maker. Lives in London and tries to bring the world to right. She drinks too much tea and has not yet abandoned smoking.

the last bit sounds like that twee cringe making self depreciation in Bridget Jones diary

the last bit sounds like that twee cringe making self depreciation in Bridget Jones diary

As it happens 39S there's a lot of that stuff on her twitter.

"Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed
The past three weeks have been all about sleeping on sofas, doing endless interviews and writing late into the night. Flagging a little!"

plus her opening up about 'cute' males, also has elements of that style.

"Laurie Penny ‏@PennyRed
I am still sick and my sister sent me a cute picture of Seth Green in his Oz From Buffy days to cheer me up. She knows me far too well. "

See new inquiry bio.

Laurie Penny was born in a skip in Islington in 1986 and grew up wild in the back-alleys of London’s bourgeois ghetto, surviving only on mouldy paninis and half-eaten pots of hummous fished out of bins and sleeping in rolled-up copies of The Observer Review. After a dispute with a notorious urban fox gang, she fled to Brighton Beach, and was taken in by a radical seagull collective and weaned on mulched-up, regurgitated back-issues of Spare Rib and Red Rag. Eventually she was offered a scholarship to Brighton College Sixth Form, where she edited a student newspaper and never learned to wear a tie. She went to Wadham College, Oxford, and later moved back to London to work in a shop in Camden Market, where being a scuzzy, mohawked Brighton feminist was part of the job description. It didn’t stick, and she rapidly turned to a life of journalism, having discovered that she was unsuited to any other employment by virtue of being weird and difficult. Now she has long hair, a semi-regular income, and zooms around trying to put the world to rights. She can still talk to seagulls.

Callinicos twitter is workman-like - apart from the odd occasional slip-up - just a list of what articles I have read:

callinicos.jpg

tables outside, in the sun - not like those proles sitting out the front because they haven't got a garden, cluttering up the street with their lifes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom