Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Albums Of The Year 2008

oh its been mentioned?! im sorta shocked (but sorta not iyswim)...

so ...you & me and...who else? ...

i swear ive not read the thread, but if i had to put money on it id say twisted...

i say that because in loads of ways, MANY MANY times ive felt like you and twisted are my 'urban musical soulmates' in a lot of ways :D...

if im wrong then i'll be well disappointed, well i wont, but i reckon im right! :hmm:

Wow, I never knew people noticed my ramblings about obscure North American bands. I'm just a guy who lives in a world where The Now Time Delegation are a genuine supergroup.:oops:

Q for Bluestreak: Given that you compile the list before end of year, do then allow albums from that cut-off point as entries for the subsequent year?

Wow, I never knew people noticed my ramblings about obscure North American bands. I'm just a guy who lives in a world where The Now Time Delegation are a genuine supergroup.:oops:

I always read your posts. :cool:

I also know one of the places you want to go/experience is the 'triangle area' (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) in North Carolina because of the music scene there.

Which is where i am originally from. :D

Yep, you're one of the posters who's posts I keep up with and musical taste I admire greatly. :cool:

I always read your posts. :cool:

I also know one of the places you want to go/experience is the 'triangle area' (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) in North Carolina because of the music scene there.

Which is where i am originally from. :D

Yep, you're one of the posters who's posts I keep up with and musical taste I admire greatly. :cool:

:D

I've been to the Cat's Cradle but just the once:oops: Saw Luna which was nice.

Have you come across a group called Bowerbirds? They're from CH area. Very sweet porchy type songs.

:D

I've been to the Cat's Cradle but just the once:oops: Saw Luna which was nice.

Have you come across a group called Bowerbirds? They're from CH area. Very sweet porchy type songs.

The Cat's Cradle is ace. Well it's an institution innit. I've not heard of them no, but will give them a listen for sure. I was around there ages ago, back when things first got rolling there, was a loooong time ago wasnt it, makes me feel old thinking about it lol..)...its weird though sorta, the Triangle area puts out sooo much good music though it's almost a phenomenon really innit. No ONE place should put out so much music that's actually quality should they, it stands agaisnt all reasoning and the odds, but still they continue to do it...youve probably heard of it but if you like to keep in touch with whats happening in the alt-country scene www.nodepression.com is an excellent magazine (personal info removed)...its well worth a look and would probably be right up your alley.

i'll be sure and check out the Bowerbirds, chances are i probably have heard them and the name just isnt clicking. Its like the 'country music' thread, i could have sat there for days chatting with you about music. Yep youre one of the 'musonistas' (great word huh? :-D...) who's posts i keep up with. :D

What a load of crap. Reads like a shit week on Pitchfork or in the NME.

I find it fascinating that practically all these bands have at some point, this year, been the media darlings of one or the other or both of the above mentioned cack pedlers.

I mean, TV on the radio are actually shite.

What a load of crap. Reads like a shit week on Pitchfork or in the NME.

I find it fascinating that practically all these bands have at some point, this year, been the media darlings of one or the other or both of the above mentioned cack pedlers.

I mean, TV on the radio are actually shite.

let's see your list then :)

The Cat's Cradle is ace. Well it's an institution innit. I've not heard of them no, but will give them a listen for sure. I was around there ages ago, back when things first got rolling there, was a loooong time ago wasnt it, makes me feel old thinking about it lol..)...its weird though sorta, the Triangle area puts out sooo much good music though it's almost a phenomenon really innit. No ONE place should put out so much music that's actually quality should they, it stands agaisnt all reasoning and the odds, but still they continue to do it...youve probably heard of it but if you like to keep in touch with whats happening in the alt-country scene www.nodepression.com is an excellent magazine (personal info removed)...its well worth a look and would probably be right up your alley.

i'll be sure and check out the Bowerbirds, chances are i probably have heard them and the name just isnt clicking. Its like the 'country music' thread, i could have sat there for days chatting with you about music. Yep youre one of the 'musonistas' (great word huh? :-D...) who's posts i keep up with. :D

I should really PM you but briefly, I used to be the UK stringer for No Depression and when I was in Chapel Hill I interviewed www.myspace.com/twodollarpistols who still seem to be going (and just look who is their fourth top friend! Quality.)
No Depression folded a few months ago:oops:

Another current act from the area I really like is this girl: www.myspace.com/desark

I have a friend who is going to UNC for a year. I'm so jealous. I've advised her to live in Carrsboro (handy for the Cradle) and she's already written to Merge to see if they need an intern. Yeah, I'm so fucking jealous.

I should really PM you but briefly, I used to be the UK stringer for No Depression and when I was in Chapel Hill I interviewed www.myspace.com/twodollarpistols who still seem to be going (and just look who is their fourth top friend! Quality.)
No Depression folded a few months ago:oops:

Another current act from the area I really like is this girl: www.myspace.com/desark

I have a friend who is going to UNC for a year. I'm so jealous. I've advised her to live in Carrsboro (handy for the Cradle) and she's already written to Merge to see if they need an intern. Yeah, I'm so fucking jealous.

I know they did :( ...theyre still gonna do bi-yearly issues though last i heard.

I hope she gets the internship with Merge, that will open some doors for her.

i'm gonna check out www.myspace.com/desark <- that in a few minutes. thanks. :cool:

Ive not been to the Cats Cradle in a loooong time. I reckon i should drop in again soon-ish. This threads made me remember how ace it is/was. :D

let's see your list then :)

Erm here :hmm:

Seriously though after reading this I did go and have a listen to some the albums mentioned.

That Deerhunter album is not bad is it? The hype really put me off (must be getting old).

I liked Brightblack Morning Lights album Motion To Rejoin and that was the only nomination I put in.

Oh I also didnt mind the Vivian Girls Album too :oops:

Q for Bluestreak: Given that you compile the list before end of year, do then allow albums from that cut-off point as entries for the subsequent year?

No, I ought to, but tbh, I cannae be arsed to check on last year's cut off date and the release dates of albums.

I don't have a list but I would like to recommend the Errors album and the RememberRemember album, both on Rock Action records.

Ive given some of the list a listen and Im still not that impressed. Is there a possible 2008 release list I can mull over?

Just been listening to The Bug...it's not my normal cup of tea but jesus christ :eek: Excellent album...I don't think my neighbours are going to appreciate my discovering of it though :D

caught up on all the mentioned albums that sounded interesting, plus a couple from other end of year lists.

Vivian Girls, Deerhunter & Fucked Up would definitely have made it into my top twenty had I heard them in time. Fennesz might just have sneaked in. Earth would have been somewhere in the top 40. Boredoms would have done well, but that was released in 2007.

The She & Him, it's okay, the best album by an actress of the year, but it will probably be played more than most of the other albums listed cos Mrs b loves it.

Other than that, I really should have included the Eine Kleine Nacht Musik, by Eine Kleine Nacht Musik, Wild Beasts' Limbo, Panto, and, most especially, Barry Adamsons superb Back to the Cat.

According to bluestreaks rules (but not mine) Dylan's Tell Tale Signs, Neil Young's Sugarloaf Mountain, & the BBC's This Record Not To Be Broadcast (75 tracks banned by the beeb, 31-57) would all make it too.

And a special mention would have to go to, indeed, I probably would have stuck it in at number 20, just for contrariness, Girls Aloud, Out of Control, which is a shockingly good pop album.

i'm VERY late joining this, but has anyone mentioned The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely? Brilliant 2nd album I reckon. I don't listen to much new release stuff so this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom