Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

38 degrees vs Lewes bonfire zulus

I live in Lewes and I am a member of a bonfire society.

(Sorry to say however, that I am not a practising Satanist, although I do quite like some folk music)

My opinion, and the opinion of many people I know is that the Zulus are an embarrassment, that they should just get with the program... Blackface isn't acceptable, just knock it off...

It doesn't matter in the least if this isn't intended as a racist act... Blacking up reinforces any number of lazy racial tropes... Stripping people of their individuality and reducing them to base stereotypes...

Last edited:
likes folk music thats all we need to know:D.
tbf if people who blacked up as Zulus had a the slightest clue it wouldn't be a problem but as they don't attempting to reason with them is going to fail:facepalm: because they think black face is harmless:hmm::facepalm:.

some people can see the history of minstral the i.e.crazy coon minstral show a big hit in the 50s in Hastings alexander park:eek: or was it last summer?:D isnt accpetable these days.
others though most are dead these days still think the black and white ministerial show was acceptable :facepalm:

I don't understand all the talk about this being unintentionally racist. I mean there are situations where someone could paint their face black without seeking to lampoon black people e.g. the practice of blackening, or even for a white actor to play a black role (though I accept both are contentious). But, here, they are deliberately stereotyping black people as savages (bones through the nose etc. )!

It's very important to ensure no offence is caused to anyone during this state sponsored anti catholic hate fest that used to be obligatory for all British subjects .

tbf its not really an anti catholic hate fest and its certainly not state sponsored in any way shape or form the state has cracked down repeatidly

tbf its not really an anti catholic hate fest and its certainly not state sponsored in any way shape or form the state has cracked down repeatidly

Not certain about that. There's certainly an iffy factor to the whole thing. Wasn't there a Traveller caravan effigy type thing burnt one year or have I got my bonfires mixed up?

And pure anecdotage but the only time I was ever there, I heard a table of people in some pub making stupid cracks about the Irish...

Not certain about that. There's certainly an iffy factor to the whole thing. Wasn't there a Traveller caravan effigy type thing burnt one year or have I got my bonfires mixed up?

And pure anecdotage but the only time I was ever there, I heard a table of people in some pub making stupid cracks about the Irish...

That was Firle Bonfire society, nearby but not actually Lewes.

It's a jumble of contradictions. A celebration of the power of the mob against the high and mighty (they burn 'Tabs' of the 'enemies of Bonfire') but also an anti Catholic hate fest.
The anti Catholicism is tied up with anti authoritarianism but in any case is largely performative rather than sincere. There are Catholic churches in Lewes but I've never heard of any sectarianism the rest of the year round.
As for the blacking up, the rituals and costumes of Bonfire have continually changed over the years but there probably needs to be a face saving way for the society in question to back out and start doing something else.
There's also Red Indians by the way.

Last edited:
It's a jumble of contradictions. A celebration of the power of the mob against the high and mighty (they burn 'Tabs' of the 'enemies of Bonfire') but also an anti Catholic hate fest.
The anti Catholicism is tied up with anti authoritarianism but in any case is largely performative rather than sincere. There are Catholic churches in Lewes but I've never heard of any sectarianism the rest if the year round.
As for the blacking up, the rituals and costumes of Bonfire have continually changed over the years but there probably needs to be a face saving way for the society in question to back out and start doing something else.

Red Indian is not the preferred nomenclature. Native American please.

I doubt theres much racist abouse to the first nations in sussex or anywhere in the Uk .
The only person I know who owns a tomahawk really shouldnt be allowed to have it :D

It's very important to ensure no offence is caused to anyone during this state sponsored anti catholic hate fest that used to be obligatory for all British subjects .
It's even worst than that:

Look away now CR!

MAIN-Vladimir-Putin-Effigy.jpg

The anti Catholicism is tied up with anti authoritarianism but in any case is largely performative rather than sincere. There are Catholic churches in Lewes but I've never heard of any sectarianism the rest of the year round.

The bonfire ritual is firmly rooted in anti catholic hatred . They used to burn papal effigies , some of which were stuffed with live cats .

Guy Fawkes Night - Wikipedia

I live in Lewes and I am a member of a bonfire society.

(Sorry to say however, that I am not a practising Satanist, although I do quite like some folk music)

So what you're saying here is that actually you're WORSE than a Satanist!!! :hmm:

My opinion, and the opinion of many people I know is that the Zulus are an embarrassment, that they should just get with the program... Blackface isn't acceptable, just knock it off...

It doesn't matter in the least if this isn't intended as a racist act... Blacking up reinforces any number of lazy racial tropes... Stripping people of their individuality and reducing them to base stereotypes...

Thing is, unless those "many people" make their opinions felt, blacking up will still happen.

Went to Lewes on entirely unrelated business today but got roped into helping set up Southover bonfire's site.

Bonfire gossip is that the Zulus decision isn't popular and that people will be blacking up in solidarity.

There was a bit on the local radio news earlier about police concerns that this will be the biggest ever, with around 60,000 flooding into Lewes (population 17,000). They are so concerned that they have got the train operator to agree not to stop at Lewes, and stations north & south, from noon today until tomorrow. :eek:

A multi-agency group is urging people to stay away from Lewes today (Saturday, 4) as the bonfire takes place, rather than attending the event.
The town will not be accessible from midday onwards until tomorrow morning (Sunday, 5), while agencies have said cars parked on the A27 or in other restricted areas will be towed away.
Restricted entry to Lewes ahead of bonfire tonight | More Radio

Lewes bonfire society members who were urged to stop painting their faces black complied on Saturday night, symbolically throwing a tin of black paint into the flames to mark the end of a tradition that had been dubbed racist.

BIB, nice touch. :thumbs:

Meanwhile, other societies marched with giant tableaux which included several effigies of Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un, one of Harvey Weinstein and another of Theresa May.

Lewes bonfire society ends tradition of blacking-up

_92292715_trump.jpg

Trump.png

nintchdbpict000364793536.jpg

Last edited:
So no blackface. But can you still burn a Catholic?

They don't actually burn Catholics!

Sure they burn effigies, including Guy Fawkes, but others too - this year Donald Trump, Kim Jong-un, Harvey Weinstein, and Theresa May, it isn't some sort of anti catholic wank-fest any longer, times have moved on.

That looks like an ace event to drop acid at <wanders off to the drugs forum>
Although Lysergic acid diethylamide is not my supper of choice, I did quite wonder how some nice MDMA would have enhanced my Lewes experience when I went.

Back
Top Bottom