Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bonfire of the government arts funding

My view is far from cynical.

The funding of entertainment should not be a taxpayers matter.

Entertainment that is good thrives. Glastonbury (attended by a large number of people who post on these boards) requires not a penny of public funding, despite costing £40m to stage. Glastonbury Festival: Everything you want to know! - Helpful Holidays.

If orchestras and opera groups require public funding in order to exist, then their time has ended. There is no rational reason to produce 'entertainment' that people don't want to go and see being subsidised at public expense. Arts Council funding is 'luvvies' looking after the interests of other 'luvvies'. If it was a government contract being given to a relative of a member of the government, there would be howls of outrage, yet when it is one of the cultural elite doing the same thing for a similar person, silence.

We have people sleeping on the streets who could benefit from the money spent on arts funding, but obviously they are much less important than a theater being funded.

You believe that there are people sleeping on the streets that are not benefiting from money because it is going to arts funding?

My view is far from cynical.

Entertainment that is good thrives. Glastonbury (attended by a large number of people who post on these boards) requires not a penny of public funding, despite costing £40m to stage. Glastonbury Festival: Everything you want to know! - Helpful Holidays.

If orchestras and opera groups require public funding in order to exist, then their time has ended. There is no rational reason to produce 'entertainment' that people don't want to go and see being subsidised at public expense. Arts Council funding is 'luvvies' looking after the interests of other 'luvvies'. If it was a government contract being given to a relative of a member of the government, there would be howls of outrage, yet when it is one of the cultural elite doing the same thing for a similar person, silence.

We have people sleeping on the streets who could benefit from the money spent on arts funding, but obviously they are much less important than a theater being funded.

There's a lot to criticise in the Arts Council model but the culture industry in this country generates a massive amount of money, certainly far more than has ever been put into it, and support for arts education and projects - even if they're ones you don't want to see - has always been a major factor in that. Also if you want to define the sole measure of cultural value as its economic viability then that'll be an end to most, if not all, community and marginal art in this country. Loads of projects get funding far below the Art Council's brackets (which are heavily and absurdly gatekept) and while they might not be economic powerhouses they're definite social positives.

Thankfully this is Europe and we don't fund "Entertainment." That's very much an American view.
The UK spends peanuts on the arts compared to the rest of Europe and infintessimally small compared to the tax breaks for the oil industry.
Eccleston's point above is one of many such stories.

Sad to hear about the Riverside Studios although it seems it's a bad luck scenario of redevelopment and pandemic. I saw a Forced Entertainment production there, priceless.....

Gotta say, I think places such as the Oldham Coliseum closing is just going to result in more nepotism in the entertainment industry because there's going to be even less chance for working class people to get into that kind of work than there ever was, let alone make any sort of success of it. Besides the potential career aspect though, theatre should be open to as many people as possible as a fun thing to do, whether to participate or to watch. It should absolutely be publicly funded.

I think removing funding from the Oldham Coliseum is a short-sighted decision that will make acting more elitist, as Dystopiary pointed out above.

By all means review the funding mechanism and try to apportion the funding more widely across the country, but making the theatre and the arts more accessible to a wider demographic. Simply pulling a load of funding just because a government minister says so is one of the more ludicrous government policies ever enacted.

£150 per ticket for a huge performance of Aida tonight. Compare that with £250 a head for Eurovision or an up and coming gig at the 02 and it's very good value. Going off the scale, I heard the average price for a Beyonce ticket is £550. How many of her teen/ young fans could afford that.

£150 per ticket for a huge performance of Aida tonight. Compare that with £250 a head for Eurovision or an up and coming gig at the 02 and it's very good value. Going off the scale, I heard the average price for a Beyonce ticket is £550. How many of her teen/ young fans could afford that.

Beyonce Gold Circle was £177.50.

Not sure the average is that helpful when m it was £177.50 to stand in the front.

The Beyonce figures were what was quoted on R4 earlier.

Did they happen to mention how many young fans would have chosen to pay £699 for access to a premium lounge before the show rather than the £177.50 to stand in the front row?

Would you find it helpful to compare the average cost at football grounds if it included the cost of the corporate boxes?

Did they happen to mention how many young fans would have chosen to pay £699 for access to a premium lounge before the show rather than the £177.50 to stand in the front row?

Would you find it helpful to compare the average cost at football grounds if it included the cost of the corporate boxes?
It's not so simple. Premiership tickets can be difficult to come by. I once tried to get tickets for the opening match at Brentford's new ground. They first wanted each of us to take out membership at £40 per head I think, then tickets on top.

It's not so simple. Premiership tickets can be difficult to come by. I once tried to get tickets for the opening match at Brentford's new ground. They first wanted each of us to take out membership at £40 per head I think, then tickets on top.

I genuinely don’t understand.

Brentford wanted to sell tickets to their own fans. Lots of artists also sell tickets to their fanbases via presales. Also that is for one particular opening event.

I would think its easier to buy tickets to a Palace game than it is for a Beyonce concert.

But my only point is that if its £177.50 to stand at the front at a Beyonce concert and seats are less than that. Its not that useful to talk about averages based on either resale tickets or including premium seats including lounges etc. I didnt hear the R4 piece so who knows what they included.

Football clubs do include discounted tickets for kids but that’s to create a new generation of fan. I suspect Beyonce doesnt care about that.

£177.50 is too much for many people to afford and Beyonce doesnt care about that either. But I dont see why R4 had to make things sound worse than they are.

Sorry, I lied. It was wake up to money on R5 early this morning Wake Up to Money - Beyonce's Billions and Biden's Trillions - BBC Sounds
Ps another question, whose got the greatest prima Donna's...some football clubs or some opera company's?

It was worse than I thought. Seems they had just googled average Beyonce ticket price and then converted the figure from dollars to pounds, so it wasn’t even about the UK shows in particular. Not great journalism.

As for prima donnas in general as opposed to principal female singers. I don’t believe that football clubs have more than are found in general society.

Thanks for the link. The show itself seemed pretty shit. Pretty sure five live used to have a better financial show.

Our local museum has a hole in the roof and was rejected completely in the last round of funding. It may have to close and then there's the issue of a museum with water getting into it or storage elsewhere. Which is what the museum essentially was anyway but with many local schools/etc utilising it for trips.

I imagine many museums struggle to stay afloat at the best of times and they will have suffered very badly in lock down.

Back
Top Bottom