Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

38 degrees vs Lewes bonfire zulus

Circular argument ahead.

It's a difficult one, sure it's tradition & some Zulus see no problem & will be joining in, but OTOH if it does cause offence to others, I think serious consideration should be made to changing the face paint colour to something else - green, blue, red, whatever.

Despite no intention of being racist, why would anyone want to continue a tradition that causes offence to others, when there's an simple solution to avoid any offence?

Bonfire Against Racism | Campaigns by You

This will go well:facepalm:

sussex will not be druv.
lewes is a bit odd and the bonfire society's are a law to themselves and are likely to respond badly to this said Zulus are actually being joined by real Zulus so your going to have people saving its racist but actual Zulus dont apprantly have a problem with it:hmm:

They persuaded some actual Zulus to take part? This year?

it lewes bonfire night causing offence is part of the thing only bonfire night with no health and safety guide.
back in the 19th century they sent the cavalry in to stop the possession they failed.
personally its obviously racist but its lewes.
A group of Zulu dancers from KwaZulu Natal are marching with them.

That doesn't prove the claim above though...dancing is universal, people like it and like to see it done by others. Those 'tribes' as they are characterised in that title are people. So what?

I linked to that thread, because the discussion moved on to cover Morris dancers 'blacking-up', something I hadn't been aware of myself, and it was the editor's photos of Morris dancers 'greening-up' that inspired my first post on this thread.

Basically, why not change the colour, to avoid any offence?

Despite no intention of being racist, why would anyone want to continue a tradition that causes offence to others, when there's an simple solution to avoid any offence?

This is what it so often comes down to. Of course if the only person who is offended is some mad old local paper lunatic who is offended by the sun rising every morning then maybe carry on, but if lots of people are giving you a valid reason why you should stop doing something and the thing you're doing is pretty fucking pointless anyway then maybe do something else instead.

This is what it so often comes down to. Of course if the only person who is offended is some mad old local paper lunatic who is offended by the sun rising every morning then maybe carry on, but if lots of people are giving you a valid reason why you should stop doing something and the thing you're doing is pretty fucking pointless anyway then maybe do something else instead.

offending the pope and the powers to be is a huge part of lewis bonfire celebrations the effergy burning etc etc
No action over Alex Salmond effigies expecting the rather "special" people to get your arguement

I linked to that thread, because the discussion moved on to cover Morris dancers 'blacking-up', something I hadn't been aware of myself, and it was the editor's photos of Morris dancers 'greening-up' that inspired my first post on this thread.

Basically, why not change the colour, to avoid any offence?

Because if you keep changing things that have been around for decades/centuries because some people take offence, then tradition dies. If people are offended they don't need to attend.

I read about a Cool Runnings carny float at some cornish thing, thought to myself ooookay maybe thats ok. Then reading on, of course the guys on the float blacked up. Sigh.

it was wales and frankly the bonfire Soc is unlikely to take any notice of outsiders being offended its a local tradition for locals outsiders keep out especialy those strange metrosexuals form the Distant city of Brighton and Hove 8 miles away thats nearly a days travel by pogo stick:eek::D

Oh yeah. It's a local thing for local people. They do not care what others think.

it was wales and frankly the bonfire Soc is unlikely to take any notice of outsiders being offended its a local tradition for locals outsiders keep out especialy those strange metrosexuals form the Distant city of Brighton and Hove 8 miles away thats nearly a days travel by pogo stick:eek::D

It's quite the Brighton tradition to get on the shrooms and cider and walk there and back. At least it used to be.

Because if you keep changing things that have been around for decades/centuries because some people take offence, then tradition dies. If people are offended they don't need to attend.

Maybe some 'traditions' - racist ones - should die?

Back
Top Bottom