Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2021 World Snooker Championship

where and how often do you play?
and how long did it take you till you actually had a bit of fun?
:D There are nights when it's not much fun. ;) Outside of covid I normally play once or twice a month. Member of a club.

ETA: Two players at my level, a frame will probably average about half an hour. I normally play the same mate, who is about my level.

EATA: There are periods that can last perhaps two or three frames when suddenly everything is going in and you're expecting to make pots. They don't come around that often, but that is a lot of fun. :)

Last edited:
The way I work out what's needed is first of all check the score difference. Assuming the player at the table is ahead and with a red up next, subtract that difference from the total available points left, i.e. 83, 75, 67, 59, etc.

Now on most occasions by the time it looks like a break could win the frame they'll only need reds and high colours, so take the multiple of 8 above that difference, and that'll roughly be the balls that player needs.

I was stunned to see Wilson knocked out Robertson today. I watched some of last nights session, and three times Kyren missed the black off the spot. Given the form Robbo's in I thought Kyren would wilt. However he got it to 8-8 and then won all the remaining frames.

I had a look at the odds earlier and Selby's now the strong favourite for the title. That might change if Trump knocks out Murphy, although the latter has looked red hot from what I've seen of him, and is 10-6 up going into tonight's deciding session.

I've seen a lot more these last couple of days. Loads of players look red hot to me. McGill and Bingham both going for it and Trump and Murphy are just taking everything on at the moment. Great stuff. I think Murphy's a bit of a dick, but I do like how he plays snooker.

OK, here's an example from last night as to my method for working out what someone needs to win the frame.

Player A is at the table, on a red and 42-27 up. There's four reds left on the table, meaning 59 points available. Player is already 15 points up, and so needs (59 - 15)/2 = 22.5 points to leave Player B needing snookers. If he takes blacks with the reds that means he can win the frame with three reds and blacks, which would get him 24 points.

This is the first all English pair of semi finals since 2015. An interesting but ultimately pointless fact.

Selby Bingham's fascinating. Bingham's playing particularly well.

Judd Trump's good commentating too :)

Eta: I do like Bingham - really tense game and he's still smiling and not taking himself seriously.

If he's a tory I don't want to know :mad:

Last edited:
Selby Bingham's fascinating. Bingham's playing particularly well.

Judd Trump's good commentating too :)

Eta: I do like Bingham - really tense game and he's still smiling and not taking himself seriously.

If he's a tory I don't want to know :mad:

Hahaha.

I really hope Shaun Murphy wins his second world title. In his interviews he's always humble and articulate - believing in himself strongly without ever sounding arrogant. Good luck to him.

Mark Selby is a boring player - yes he's a winner but he reminds me of Novak Djokovic (not just because they look like each other a tiny bit) in the respect that he'll never be loved by British sports fans because he doesn't have the flair of other legends and is just generally dull.

I wasn't keen on the 'theatrics' in both matches by selby and murphy. One of the things I like about snooker is the sportsmanship and good humour of the matches. Brings an unpleasant edge I feel, slight though it is, quite possibly thin edge of the wedge.

This Jack fella is rubbish. Who is he?

Jack Lisowski. A top 16 player for a while, I think.

Judd's not bad as a commentator. A thankful respite from the theatrics of Virgo and Taylor.

Straight after the match Bingham seemed a little bitter about Selby using match play to disrupt his rhythm. Mate, you're playing Mark Selby.

Selby's not really found his mojo yet in the final, although that can change from session to session.

Jack Lisowski. A top 16 player for a while, I think.

He's awful. Judd is good though. Virgo winds me up and was once (and maybe still is) mates with Jim Davidson so fuck him.

Do the crowd get the commentary feed from the BBC in their little earpieces? I'm sure they were laughing at Virgo's jokes in yesterdays afternoon session.

I think they're used to it. The fact that current and recently retired players, like Murphy, Perry, Trump and Lisowski are happy to do it suggests it's not much of an issue. I think they make a point of not saying anything when a player is down on the shot.

This final is certainly looking like one for the purists. Selby was a machine last night. If you were creating your hybrid dream player of the current crop, I think he'd now edge Higgins for safety and escapes (Robertson for long potting, Trump for cue power, Wilson for rest shots, and O'Sullivan for break-building).

Back
Top Bottom