Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup Final 2023: England V Spain

England played so well in the semi that I can see why Wiegman kept the same team. But even the small glimpses of James in the second half were enough to show that she is the best footballer in the team. With hindsight, a big mistake not to start her.

It's no disgrace being the second-best team in the world, though. ;) Lots of good young talent coming through. Onwards and upwards.

England played so well in the semi that I can see why Wiegman kept the same team. But even the small glimpses of James in the second half were enough to show that she is the best footballer in the team. With hindsight, a big mistake not to start her.

It's no disgrace being the second-best team in the world, though. ;) Lots of good young talent coming through. Onwards and upwards.
Well yeh James was banned and they did well, kicking someone out immediately makes no sense when its working, it wasn't so thrown on at half time, should have kept Russo on tho.

Carter had a great game. But that's the problem. The top performances were at the back.
Yes but i think if anyone is to 'blame' for the goal its Carter, I dont think she dealt with this well...not saying there was a lot she couldve done, its a hard position, but she (they) didnt shut this down - couldve done better on closing the space I think...it was clear the ball was about to go down the line
(clips of the goal keep getting taken down)
easy for me to say sat here
ffot.jpg.png

whatever.... the result is a fair one

Yes but i think if anyone is to 'blame' for the goal its Carter, I dont think she dealt with this well...not saying there was a lot she couldve done, its a hard position, but she (they) didnt shut this down - couldve done better on closing the space I think...it was clear the ball was about to go down the line
(clips of the goal keep getting taken down)
easy for me to say sat here
View attachment 388080

whatever.... the result is a fair one

It's a travesty that Russo is the one in the rear of that pic legging it to stop this shit. She's a fucking forward who clearly shouldn't be making last ditch tackles. Not blaming Bronze at all.

Oooh, what's the goss?? I had to head out pretty quickly after ther final whistle.
On phone, so the quick version. Ellen White said we'd have loved having a manager who communicated well, who let everyone know what they were doing on the pitch (referring to pre Wiegman period). She said it with passion and I seem to remember poor communication as to what was expected was a theme of the Neville period. Actually, that was about everything she said.

So what? I compared it earlier to United V City, with England as United, I'm a United supporter and the GK plays for us too, as well as Zelem and Russo.

Did you see the match? We were outclassed all over (except for in goal and some individual moments), they had a game plan, we seemed to hope throwing players about would help with a formation that did no work v theirs. We relied on individual brilliance, they played as a team. We had some very good individual moments but I struggled to even notice our midfield, forwards being the last line of defence deep in our own half many times.

Unless you think England were awful going in then its a fair comparison, especially in a World Cup Final. Spain were not the incumbent winners, not the favourites going in and they were light on some players, England were too of course but thats even at best.

I don’t know why you wanna drag them over the coals. They were on and off in the Quarters, going through after a costly mistake by the opposition goalie. They were outplayed before that against Nigeria and burst through a few times against the Aussies.

They’re a hard working, yet quite limited team that play to their strengths and win it in the moments.

I don’t see what the point is in everyone showing their arse and blaming people, or being indignant that we played a better side.

This tourny, like the last one was pure positivity: we competed - we did well - we almost won it. Save your sarky bullshit for next year when those fucking losers compete in the Euros. The women have to put-up with enough bullshit from dick-heads without the armchair experts looking for their pound of flesh.

Last edited:
Hellfire!

Hours after the game, we find out it was actually broadcast over here. Oh well. Congratulations/commiserations to the winners/losers.

Well yeh James was banned and they did well, kicking someone out immediately makes no sense when its working, it wasn't so thrown on at half time, should have kept Russo on tho.

Kelly covered loads of ground and battled and Battled in that second-half. Put a beaut of a ball over from the right as well that was begging to be put away.

You’re talking out of your arse tbqh.

I don’t know why you wanna drag them over the coals. They were on and off in the Quarters, going through after a costly mistake by the opposition goalie. They were outplayed before that against Nigeria and burst through a few times against the Aussies.

They’re a hard working, yet quite limited team that play to their strengths and win it in the moments.

I don’t see what the point is in everyone showing their arse and blaming people, or being indignant that we played a better side.

This tourny, like the last one was pure positivity: we competed we - did well - wel almost won it. Save your sarky bullshit for next year when those fucking losers compete in the Euros. The women have to put-up with enough bullshit from dick-heads without the armchair experts looking for their pound of flesh.
You seem confused, I said coming 2nd is a huge achievement, I specifically said it would be viewed very well if the men had managed this, a number of the players play at the club I support. Yes they are limited, like I said. Spain were better today.

You are making a mountain out of a reasonable explanation of the events that occurred. Your weird sexist comments aside.

366717170_759823955942640_2868716648375636155_n.jpg

The BBC commentator who keeps referring to Spain as "Los Riojas" is pissing me off. They're Las Rojas

Well, no you're actually wrong about that. They're La Roja.

Why? They won didn't they?

Yes. My mistake. I shouldn't have pluralised it.
Even as a Spaniard I wouldn’t think much of British commentators making singular/ plural grammatical errors. Completely avoidable if they tried hard enough and employed a Spanish proofreader, but it’s so minor and commonplace a mistake across any network in any country in the world when quoting non-native language terms, it’s pretty inconsequential.

But it’d be funny as fuck, not to mention a far more glaring schoolboy error, if he was actually pronouncing it Riojas rather Rojas, as your post might suggest. The former is the name of a world-famous wine region, the other the Spanish word for ‘red’.

I would love to watch any football match played by a team called ‘Las Riojas’, though its name would lead me to guess they were probably a Sunday league outfit made of part timers who share a love for red wine :D

But it’d be funny as fuck, not to mention a far more glaring schoolboy error, if he was actually pronouncing it Riojas rather Rojas, as your post might suggest. The former is the name of a world-famous wine region, the other the Spanish word for ‘red’ …

As much as the plural/singular and the masculine/feminine annoyed me, saying riojas and not roja annoyed me more.

Well this is kind of twisted. The Guardian article doesn't mention the detail that her father had actually passed away a couple of days earlier but they kept it from her to keep her focused (that detail is from the Mail which I won't link to).

Fuck me, that’s shocking :(

Whereas I can understand the reasoning behind her family withholding the news, I would also understand if she’s furious about it.

A fucked up situation, and one that frankly I wouldn’t know how to handle if I were her close relative…

Back
Top Bottom