Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Women's World Cup 2023

Oh ffs, video montages usually give me the feels but I would never have imagined in 1988 that one day the banal lyrics to Kylie's first number one recited over footage of women playing football - brilliantly - would make me a blubbing wreck.

Oh ffs, video montages usually give me the feels but I would never have imagined in 1988 that one day the banal lyrics to Kylie's first number one recited over footage of women playing football - brilliantly - would make me a blubbing wreck.
Which one? You can tell me, Confide In Me.....

I dunno, it put me in mind of Peter Sellers doind A Hard Days, as Richard III.

Surely Sarina must be in the frame for the men's job at some point? If she wanted it of course. She's brilliant.
Not sure the FA would get their head round that. Not all that long ago, historically, that they banned women's football.

Not sure the FA would get their head round that. Not all that long ago, historically, that they banned women's football.
In similar vein, i remember Hope Powell being tipped as a men's manager 20 years ago. Aside from the issue of would she want to, she's just got a job as Birmingham technical director. So far the men's game has been pretty resistant to appointing excellent women coaches.

Unless I've missed any?

In similar vein, i remember Hope Powell being tipped as a men's manager 20 years ago. Aside from the issue of would she want to, she's just got a job as Birmingham technical director. So far the men's game has been pretty resistant to appointing excellent women coaches.

Unless I've missed any?

Hannah Dingley for about 2 minutes for FGR. (12 days I think it was)

I'm worryingly impressed by Spain, probably because I didn't see the beating they got from Japan. Paralluelo is brilliant and I'd imagine will be starting this time

Edit, and not Parallelogram as my phone insists upon.

so - what are spain like? google tells me they are ranked 6th to englands 4th according the FIFA. scored a shed load of goals so far , have knocked out holland and sweden .... eek.

so - what are spain like? google tells me they are ranked 6th to englands 4th according the FIFA. scored a shed load of goals so far , have knocked out holland and sweden .... eek.
I watched Japan thrash them. Japan were irresistible on that night with excellent all-round team play coupled with deadly finishing. Bit like England today!

Spain are good going forward, and they're Spanish so they like possession and close control but sometimes it doesn't go anywhere.

I think England on their day are as good as anyone in this tournament. It feels wrong to say this, but I make England favourites. If both teams play to the standard they played in their respective semis, I think England win. But Spain have the individual talent to upset that, for sure.

I'm worryingly impressed by Spain, probably because I didn't see the beating they got from Japan. Paralluelo is brilliant and I'd imagine will be starting this time

Edit, and not Parallelogram as my phone insists upon.

Personally not so much so. As I posted earlier if we can muster the same performance level that we did today we'll be good.

Spain maybe good in possession but if we play at our best we can match them and stifle their game.

Latest bookie odds have it as a toss-up, England marginal favourites. Then again England's odds are usually not good value because lots of people bet on them for non-logical reasons.

This site says that 26% of all bets in the tournament have been on England and just 10% on Spain. Yet they're still a toss-up. Maybe someone can explain that? It seems that the bookies are set to lose a lot of money if England win. Shouldn't they be heavily odds-on?

https://www.oddschecker.com/insight...ds-england-lionesses-odds-on-to-win-world-cup

Latest bookie odds have it as a toss-up, England marginal favourites. Then again England's odds are usually not good value because lots of people bet on them for non-logical reasons.

This site says that 26% of all bets in the tournament have been on England and just 10% on Spain. Yet they're still a toss-up. Maybe someone can explain that? It seems that the bookies are set to lose a lot of money if England win. Shouldn't they be heavily odds-on?

https://www.oddschecker.com/insight...ds-england-lionesses-odds-on-to-win-world-cup

BIB - Means nothing. At least it's implying this is measured in numbers of bets, not size of wager (or take out). Which is crucial.

Spain were also offered at better odds earlier in the tournament. Some bookies may have a loss on this so don't want to take any more bets on Spain.

Umpire's call. Let's just guess.

Odds on Portuguese site BWIN are in decimal so I've put a conversion in second row, % probability 3rd row

Spain 2.45 29/20 40.82%
England 2.60 8/5 38.46%
Draw 2.80 9/5 35.7%

BIB - Means nothing. At least it's implying this is measured in numbers of bets, not size of wager (or take out). Which is crucial.

Spain were also offered at better odds earlier in the tournament. Some bookies may have a loss on this so don't want to take any more bets on Spain.
Kind of.

Let's take Bet365 as an example. In the UK they will have Spain as favourites to encourage UK players to bet.

But Bet365 in Spain and Latin America will have England as favourites to encourage them to bet.

Once all the monetary bets are collated, the total sum will be placed on many exchanges (like what banks do with their overnight deposits but not quite, as they get a fixed return). The bookies are essentially hedging the deposits and will literally bet against themselves. That way they can't lose.

Love Russo. No shit in her interview, humble without letting you know she was being humble, and she's responsible for my favourite ever goal in football. That back heel.

After the recent games she's happy but doesn't get carried away. Clearly focusing on the next match already.

Back
Top Bottom