Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup Final 2023: England V Spain

Watching the England women is exactly like watching the England men. Too static, too much relying on strength rather than skill (despite clearly having the skill), not enough looking for the quick early attacking pass, too much going backwards. But they can still beat anyone on their day through sheer persistence and organised kicking.

In short, England in all sports seem to be the Peter Ebdon of that sport.

Bit fucking harsh that.

They look like a team with a plan. We can't seem to press consistently and can't clear the lines. Defence is very scrappy.

Again, bit harsh. Spain are an excellent footballing side in all areas of the pitch.

James appears to be playing everywhere...except in front of their goal

Their goalie made an amazing save, and speaking of great saves:

IMG_6145.jpeg

The one she made in the first half was tremendous. What a performance.

England haven’t really been up to playing the best sides off the park, but what they have done at times is use the ball nicely, be cute with it in certain positions, work their arses off, and they absolutely dug in every single fucking time they’ve needed to.

On another day we lose that one 3-0. On another day still, we win it 2-1.

Dunno about anyone else here but that’s the first time in my life I’ve been made to feel proud by our national footballing team.

(Sorry second, after last years Euros)

As I've said before.

I like watching football. I support the teams that I do because I've lived in the countries I support, England, Portugal, France and Spain.

In this case I supported Spain over England because it is my preferred country/team.

I'm English by birth, Spanish by choice.

And Scotland?

As I've said before.

I like watching football. I support the teams that I do because I've lived in the countries I support, England, Portugal, France and Spain.

In this case I supported Spain over England because it is my preferred country/team.

I spent the game getting annoying texts off Liza's sister (who I'm seeing tomorrow, just to make it worse). She's English, but has now lived well over half her years in Barcelona. She was supporting Spain. The cow.

Their goalie made an amazing save, and speaking of great saves:
Yeah, that save off James was every bit as good as everything Earps did. Both goalies played really well.

James had to come really deep to try to get the ball, which clearly wasn't ideal. But credit to Spain for that. They bossed the midfield.

Yeah, that save off James was every bit as good as everything Earps did. Both goalies played really well.

James had to come really deep to try to get the ball, which clearly wasn't ideal. But credit to Spain for that. They bossed the midfield.

Has James ever played centre forward? She's good enough. Seems wasted out there.

Really harsh for the pundits to be pinning the blame for the goal on Bronze. That was a fairly standard give away of possession and I gather she's always been encouraged to get forward.

Really harsh for the pundits to be pinning the blame for the goal on Bronze. That was a fairly standard give away of possession and I gather she's always been encouraged to get forward.
She left a massive hole at right back. It was a bad mistake.

Russo could have blocked that, she was tracking back. Slide. Doesn't matter if you're a forward, learn how to do that.

Can anyone explain the tactical formation change? Because it looked to me Lauren James could do what she wanted while we hoped to pump it down the right sometimes to use Kelly's speed.

It wasn't convincing.

As I've said before.

I feel bad for you at how embarrassed you must feel at the poor gamesmanship antics of your chosen adopted side.

Someone should have been covering her. As I say she's encouraged to get forward. Blame Wiegman then for the formation.
It was a bad team mistake to leave that hole, but it was also an individual mistake by Bronze. If you're going to do a Beckenbauer, you have to get it right or you're in trouble.

I don't want to hang Bronze out here. She is a huge reason why England are reaching major finals in the first place, but she didn't have a good game today. Some important defensive tackles at the end but before that, she gave the ball away a few times.

It was a bad team mistake to leave that hole, but it was also an individual mistake by Bronze. If you're going to do a Beckenbauer, you have to get it right or you're in trouble.

I don't want to hang Bronze out here. She is a huge reason why England are reaching major finals in the first place, but she didn't have a good game today. Some important defensive tackles at the end but before that, she gave the ball away a few times.

No England player other than the keeper had a good game

Again, bit harsh. Spain are an excellent footballing side in all areas of the pitch.

So what? I compared it earlier to United V City, with England as United, I'm a United supporter and the GK plays for us too, as well as Zelem and Russo.

Did you see the match? We were outclassed all over (except for in goal and some individual moments), they had a game plan, we seemed to hope throwing players about would help with a formation that did no work v theirs. We relied on individual brilliance, they played as a team. We had some very good individual moments but I struggled to even notice our midfield, forwards being the last line of defence deep in our own half many times.

Unless you think England were awful going in then its a fair comparison, especially in a World Cup Final. Spain were not the incumbent winners, not the favourites going in and they were light on some players, England were too of course but thats even at best.

Back
Top Bottom