Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup Final 2023: England V Spain

How long did they give her to enjoy one of the best moments of her life before ruining it? I mean there's no good time for news like that but shit.

A few minutes after the presentation apparently. But he died on Friday.

Personally I would have told her when it happened.

Well this is kind of twisted. The Guardian article doesn't mention the detail that her father had actually passed away a couple of days earlier but they kept it from her to keep her focused (that detail is from the Mail which I won't link to).

They've put football and winning above her own father. It's fucking outrageous.

I've been too gutted to post in here before now tbh. I can't believe how badly they played, worst I've ever seen.

Yeah I'd be incredibly angry if I were her. They've robbed her of any chance to feel anything other than sadness and bitterness about this win. It would have been a huge ask for her to have got herself up for this match within two days of hearing that news, but if she had done, she would have played on her terms and celebrated winning on her terms.

Maybe I've had my head in the sand but it turns out Nike refused to put Earps' name on her shirt. Would possibe reason could they have had for that?

Maybe I've had my head in the sand but it turns out Nike refused to put Earps' name on her shirt. Would possibly reason could they have had for that?
Been a weird tournament.

On the pitch, it's been a real showcase, demonstrating just how far women's football has come, and no more so than with the quality of the goalkeeping, which was variable at best a few years ago. Earps herself epitomises the progress women's football has made.

But off the pitch, there is still sexism and condescension. Still a fair way to go.

Heard a couple of women discussing the football in the gym. One was saying she's now going to talk about football and men's football. :thumbs:

Mrs SI tells me she dedicated the goal to a friend's mum who died last week.

Yeh that was the very hard to read message on her vest that she tried to display after scoring, a reference to her friend's mum. Presumably if she'd known her own dad had passed that might have been a message for him.

It's pretty awful. She would have thought he was watching his girl score the winning goal in a WC final back in Spain and would be the proudest man on earth.

Yeh that was the very hard to read message on her vest that she tried to display after scoring, a reference to her friend's mum. Presumably if she'd known her own dad had passed that might have been a message for him.

It's pretty awful. She would have thought he was watching his girl score the winning goal in a WC final back in Spain and would be the proudest man on earth.
From what she said I think she feels that he did. Thankfully

If he'd died two hours before the game, ok, but two days? Yeah I think that would feel like a betrayal to me. By everyone, including my family. :(
2 days is a long time to keep that a secret from her. Was she not in touch with family and friends through any number of social media things?

This. I'd be furious if it were me.

Back
Top Bottom