Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

FA Cup 2023/24

That feeling when you're on a train back from Liverpool and pulling into Manchester, and you're watching the match over some bloke's shoulder and Diallo shitbags it at the last minute. Some very happy United fans on the train...and some not-so-happy Liverpool ones who decided to loudly announce that people from Manchester are all 'fucking dossers'.

WHY did Klopp put out a full strength team against Sparta Prague when Liverpool were already through? He could have just put out a second string side full of academy players and they still would have won.

Is this a good thing? The argument against is less revenue for smaller clubs if they can hold a draw against larger opponents. The argument for is to stop clashing with premier league games (and presumably over-exerting players in the process).

I'm undecided tbh. The idea of the replay seems a bit old hat. I think the last one in the final was in 1993. Nobody likes a shootout but maybe its just neater.

Is this a good thing? The argument against is less revenue for smaller clubs if they can hold a draw against larger opponents. The argument for is to stop clashing with premier league games (and presumably over-exerting players in the process).

I'm undecided tbh. The idea of the replay seems a bit old hat. I think the last one in the final was in 1993. Nobody likes a shootout but maybe its just neater.
It's the big boys fucking over the minnows again.

Part of the magic of the cup is a small, non league team bagging a replay against higher opposition in a big stadium.

I feel like the prestige of the FA cup was lost long ago tbh. I remember when the whole country seemed to shut down at 3pm for a couple of hours during the FA cup final. It seemed like the biggest game on the planet. Our very own superbowl.

But in recent years that has long faded. With the combination of multi channel TV, the tearing down of the old wembley, and moving around the kick off time to later in the day. These days the most exciting thing about it is when a tiny team makes it far enough to be drawn against a premier league giant, especially when that game is held at a tiny local ground with really basic facilities. I guess removing the chance of the replay is going to hit those small teams the hardest, while the big clubs will be glad of the assurance they only have to play one game. Could make penalty shootouts in giant killing games more common though.

More than anything, it’s because Champion’s League qualification has become the mark of a big club, and the domestic cups offer only a route into the second-prize European tournament.

It would have been nice if the fifth CL spot had been available to offer to the FA Cup winners, but that’s off now because the Woolwich were so poor yesterday.

I feel like the prestige of the FA cup was lost long ago tbh. I remember when the whole country seemed to shut down at 3pm for a couple of hours during the FA cup final
Even better, coverage on the two main channels began about midday, if not earlier. The teams on their way to Wembley on coaches. The fans pouring down Wembley Way etc.
Worse thing that needs sorting in penalties. They should be scrapped and replaced with a golden goal.

Even better, coverage on the two main channels began about midday, if not earlier. The teams on their way to Wembley on coaches. The fans pouring down Wembley Way etc.
Worse thing that needs sorting in penalties. They should be scrapped and replaced with a golden goal.

Yeah, and at risk of being all jumpers for goalposts nostalgic, there was something special about the whole day, including the build up to the 3pm kickoff that's been lost. You don't get that with the CL.

This is a bad thing :mad:

unless a draw after 90 minutes means that the team below them in the division/league goes through

When it is a good thing :thumbs:

I feel like the prestige of the FA cup was lost long ago tbh. I remember when the whole country seemed to shut down at 3pm for a couple of hours during the FA cup final. It seemed like the biggest game on the planet. Our very own superbowl.

But in recent years that has long faded. With the combination of multi channel TV, the tearing down of the old wembley, and moving around the kick off time to later in the day. These days the most exciting thing about it is when a tiny team makes it far enough to be drawn against a premier league giant, especially when that game is held at a tiny local ground with really basic facilities. I guess removing the chance of the replay is going to hit those small teams the hardest, while the big clubs will be glad of the assurance they only have to play one game. Could make penalty shootouts in giant killing games more common though.
Me too, I remember all the hype and how they'd have hours of build-up, meet the teams, footage from past cups, recaps of the last rounds etc. My bluenose brother still has a video of the 1995 one and there was at least two hours' build-up before the actual match (including THAT Kevin Pressman penalty and Eric Cantona being Eric Cantona). Now it's tucked away at half 5 and barely gets attention, I guess because European games are the big draw now.

I never quite know what cup they're playing for now - it used to be simple, you had the League Cup and the FA Cup. Now they're the EFL Cup or the Carabao (what?) Cup or the Emirates Cup. I can't quite generate the same enthusiasm for a cup that's owned by a somewhat repressive regime.

Sponsorship definitely confuses everything too. The EFL (Carabao) cup should just be the Milk Cup.

Sort of like how the Mercury Prize is still called the mercury Prize even though Mercury are no longer even a thing and it's still sponsored by someone else.

Anglo-Scottish cup, Anglo-Italian Cup

From wikipedia

The initial Anglo-Italian Cup was played as an annual tournament from 1970 to 1973. The first final was abandoned early due to violence, with Swindon Town declared the winners. During its time the tournament had a reputation for violence between fans, and also between players on the pitch

Chelsea should have made more of those chances unfortunately. However compared with where we were beginning of the season that was a very promising performance from such a young side .

There have been signs all around the place warning of traffic jams around Wembley but for tomorrow, strangely not for today's game. Unfortunately tomorrow's semi clashes with a much more interesting game 🤣

Yes Chelsea deserved more - end-to-end game though which I enjoyed. Glad Haaaaaland didn't play he's just unfair, reminds me of school where the first pick was an under 16s international player and it didn't matter who else was there :mad:

Yes Chelsea deserved more - end-to-end game though which I enjoyed. Glad Haaaaaland didn't play he's just unfair, reminds me of school where the first pick was an under 16s international player and it didn't matter who else was there :mad:
you missed the last few months - now everyone thinks he’s crap and they play worse with him in the team.

Back
Top Bottom