Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Women's World Cup 2023

Ludicrous you can't get an Earps shirt. She's inspirational and loads of fans will have her as their favourite.

I just heard about that. I dont quite get the fuss over it tbh. My club lets your choose whatever name and number you want on the back of the shirt on the website. Does the official England site not let you do that?

Netherlands v Portugal up next.

I'm a bit out of the loop, but both have been favourite teams of mine in previous tournaments, so hopeful for a good match :)

Dont know why they've split this between NZ and Australia. There's clearly little appetite for football in NZ going by all the empty seats (and they've been giving tickets away for free). Even the opener with NZ playing didn't sell out.

Gah, Portugal are always gonna be vulnerable to corners, ironically (in a very specific way) because of one of the reasons I love 'em - their short 'keeper :D :(

Glimmer of hope with the review, but prob the right decision.

First ten minutes of second half gone very scrappy.

Eta: second ten minutes only marginally less scrappy, a lot of passing to the opposition who then pass it back.

One slight chance each but very disappointing second half :(

Last edited:
Blimey, thought that was pretty ambitious from that far out, but wasn't far off in the end!

Probably would have been dealt with by the 'keeper if it had been on target, but you never know.

Dont know why they've split this between NZ and Australia. There's clearly little appetite for football in NZ going by all the empty seats (and they've been giving tickets away for free). Even the opener with NZ playing didn't sell out.
Attendances have been very decent given how much smaller NZ's population is. 40k+ for the NZ game and the USA vs Vietnam match, which is very good. Between 11 and 20k for other matches so far. Pretty decent. Getting 13k for matches at Dunedin that don't involve NZ is very good given that's more than 10% of the town's population, and it's nowhere near anywhere else. Compares very favourably with the 17k for the first match at Perth, a city with ten times the population.

I'd say that that's a healthy appetite for a country of 5 million people. (And lest we forget, there were several half-empty stadiums during the group stages of the 1996 Euros in England.)

Last edited:
Attendances have been very decent given how much smaller NZ's population is. 40k+ for the NZ game and the USA vs Vietnam match, which is very good. Between 11 and 20k for other matches so far. Pretty decent. Getting 13k for matches at Dunedin that don't involve NZ is very good given that's more than 10% of the town's population, and it's nowhere near anywhere else. Compares very favourably with the 17k for the first match at Perth, a city with ten times the population.

I'd say that that's a healthy appetite for a country of 5 million people. (And lest we forget, there were several half-empty stadiums during the group stages of the 1996 Euros in England.)

I'm assuming most of those fans for the USA game were travelling American fans as NZ is probably considered a great place to visit for them (although in the depths of a severe rainy winter I'm afraid they'll be a little disappointed).

Let's hope NZ keep going and even make it out of the group anyway. They've already done what their male counterparts have never done by actually winning a game. Yeh, they've only got 5 million people but football is never gonna compete with rugby there as a winter sport. They punch above their weight in many sports but football is a total outlier for them.

Let's hope NZ keep going and even make it out of the group anyway. They've already done what their male counterparts have never done by actually winning a game. Yeh, they've only got 5 million people but football is never gonna compete with rugby there as a winter sport. They punch above their weight in many sports but football is a total outlier for them.
Is that true for women as well? Rugby is always likely to be a less attractive sport for many girls to get into than football. The US women's team is dominant while football is not a big spectator sport in the US. It's the sport of choice for lots of girls even if most of the boys aren't interested. I see no reason why that couldn't also be the case in NZ.

On the ball: Football by the numbers - popularity surges among youth and women

Football is increasingly popular among boys and girls in NZ. And judging by the crowd noises, the majority of the spectators at the games so far have been women and girls. Holding a football WC is a massive boost for women's sport wherever it is held. I don't doubt that it will have a positive effect on participation in NZ.

(btw you might be surprised to learn that there are twice as many people registered as football players than rugby players in NZ. It's not the major spectator sport but it is widely played. Same is true for Wales. Even in its strongholds, rugby is less popular than football.)

Last edited:
Watching Italy v Argentina because despite going to bed at 1 o'clock Frankie gets me up at sixish if I've not got up before.

Entertaining game but they do seem to be kicking each other quite regularly and then complaining to the ref that they hadn't done it :eek: . So much more like the mens' game - none of the other countries I've watched seem to have quite got the idea of that yet.

Argentina apparently haven't won a World Cup game before but they look up there with Italy.

Last edited:
The thing I like about womens football is it is more honest; no diving, cheating, bullying the referee etc. Saying that
did Karchaoui get Shaw sent off yesterday. The tackle did not look all that bad yet Karchaoui appeared to really go
for the theatrics? Mot nice to see.
NB One of Bob Marley's daughters played a big part in helping the Jamaican team.

I didn't see that - one of the few games I've missed. And yes that's one thing I like about the womens' game.

I've not seen any of them kick someone up in the air in a tackle and then run off with both arms pointing down at the ball as in "look I got the ball it's never a foul". They can't have done that module yet.

Back
Top Bottom